+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Mud cake tips?

I am a complete cake novice, but want to attempt a white chocolate mud cake with buttercream frosting for an event this weekend.

Does anyone have a tried and true recipe/any tips to get a great cake?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    If you want the cake to be white on the outside you are better of icing it with white chocolate ganache - and its just as yummy! Buttercream tends to look quite yellow because of the amount of butter. You can make it look a little lighter by adding the tiniest bit (i meam the end off a toothpick) of violet/purple food colouring (it will cut the yellow) or the recipe girl site has a buttercream that also uses some cream cheese to soften the yellowness.

Find a recipe for a dense white chocolate mud cake, I always cook dense cakes at a lower temp for longer (ie: 160 degrees) so it stays moist inside. With making this type of cake you can do it ahead and freeze it already ganached (helps seal the cake and keep the moisture in) just take it out 2 days before you need it. i just did Dd1s birthday cake and it was devine.

If you use ganache, you might need to do a few coats of ganache (ganache/fridge/ganache/fridge) to get a smooth and thick coating.

Goodluck I am sure it will turn out great!

Thanks
    Reviews
    I have a great one my sis used for our wedding cake. Will track it down for you. From memory its massive amounts of sugar and eggs

Agree about ganache too. It also looks very effective. You can even do some slabs of white choc to decorate.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I have used this one before with success..

http://m.aww.com.au/food/recipes/201...late-mud-cake/

I would also use ganache and not buttercream. I find buttercream quite dense and with a mud cake I think it would be too much.

If you do decide to go ahead with buttercream, add some 'Wilton White' to it. It makes the buttercream totally white rather than buttery. You can buy it at Spotlight or cake decorating shops.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to misho For This Useful Post:

KitiK  (24-02-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I have used this recipe countless times - turned out perfect every time. Really delicious! The link is quite handy as it also has a word doc linked with different quantities for different pan sizes. It uses a sour cream and white chocolate Ganache.

http://www.exclusivelyfood.com.au/20...ecipe.html?m=1

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Awards:
    Past Moderator - Thank you
    100 Posts in a week
    This is the recipe I use (minus the honeycomb). I've made it dozens of times and it always turns out beautifully.
    http://www.taste.com.au/recipes/2257...ycomb+mud+cake

8. The Following User Says Thank You to misskittyfantastico For This Useful Post:

TheTimeHasCome  (24-02-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    That taste recipe and the exclusively food one I use are pretty much the same thing (exact same ingredients minus the honeycomb), I remember comparing them a while ago.. didn't compare quantities though.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to TheTimeHasCome For This Useful Post:

misskittyfantastico  (24-02-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    oh god thanks ladies I really feel like eating chocolate mud cake now!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by GlitterFarts View Post
    oh god thanks ladies I really feel like eating chocolate mud cake now!!
    Me too!! Except I have left over red velvet in the fridge, so that will have to do!!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Awards:
    Funniest Caption
    Mum always told me that if you think you have too much chocolate in it, double it! You can never have too much chocolate!!