+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week300 posts in a week200 Posts in a week100 Posts in a week

Default Trigger warning - Double standard. ***vent****

I want to start this post saying my judgement on this issue is clouded by my current personal issues.

I was completely disgusted by the show I'm a celebrity tonight. Merv stated to Anna, "keep it up and I will chop your head of with a machete" it was completely brushed under the carpet and everyone stated he was a great guy who loves a joke. They even make further jokes about it. I am disgusted. This kind of behaviour turned into a joke on national television just glorifies the kind of people who actually say this all the time.
    It is never ok, never ok to say that to another human being. In fact it is illegal!

2. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to CompareTheMeerkat For This Useful Post:

Busy-Bee  (23-02-2015),Curby  (24-02-2015),KitiK  (24-02-2015),LoveLivesHere  (24-02-2015),MissMuppet  (24-02-2015),Mod-Nomsie  (24-02-2015),SheWarrior  (23-02-2015),SuperGranny  (24-02-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    300 posts in a week - week ended 11/9/14200 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 11/9/14100 Posts in a week
    I must say I agree. Lucky I had not watched the episode or I'm sure I would have been seeing red. This is not okay.

Violence is never a joke.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Totally agree 100%

And i feel the same way about how the term rape is thrown around and joked about. Im a survivor (twice) and it makes me physically ill to hear and see these issues trivialised and as you said, glorified. Its never EVER ok.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    This popped up in my facebook this morning. Bravo Em Rusciano, bravo!!

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?sto...25623857496730

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to SheWarrior For This Useful Post:

DizzyDaisy  (24-02-2015),Mod-Nomsie  (24-02-2015),Preshy2008  (24-02-2015)

Mod-Nomsie is offline Administrator
    Winner 2009/10/11/12/13 - Most helpful Moderator
    Winner 2011 - Naughtiest/Cheekiest Mod
    Winner - Quickest 'Thanker' on the Hub
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    200 Posts in a week100 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 15/1/15
    Quote Originally Posted by SheWarrior View Post
    This popped up in my facebook this morning. Bravo Em Rusciano, bravo!!

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?sto...25623857496730
    \

I was just going to post this!

For the non-clickers, since I had already copied in order to paste:

Last night on "I'm a celebrity get me out of here" there was a much talked up incident involving Merv Hughes and Anna from The Bachelor.There had been some words over who would be preparing dinner, Anna had offered to do it when Merv seemed reluctant to. He then got up and spat at her:
    'Sit down and relax woman.. You go and get.'
    Anna interjected that she would do it and he replied with:
    'Shut up or I'll chop your head off with this machete.'
    Indicating the large knife he had in his hand…
    The incident was played down by hosts Julia Morris and Chris Brown stating over and over again that: "Merv has a heart of gold" blah blah blah things get heated in the camp situation, he didn't mean it etc.
    It almost felt like a plea to the audience that boys will be boys and that we shouldn't overreact.
    Well, sorry: I'm going to overreact.
    It didn't sit right with me at the time, it bothered me all night and today an angry fire burns in my belly.
    We need to talk about this seriously. Violence against women in this country is at epidemic proportions. One women a week loses her life as a result of intimate partner violence. Rosie Battie was on Q and A last night and spoke about this very topic. Rosie is a passionate campaigner against domestic violence after her son, Luke, was beaten to death by his father on a cricket oval in Melbourne last year. She also won Australian of the year for her efforts in stopping this kind of family violence.
    This is not an easy conversation, it is uncomfortable, it is raw and it is real. What Merv said, how ever much of a joke it was, was unacceptable. I believe it was negligible of that show to have played it down as it did. I'm sure there were women watching who have actually have similar threats of violence made against them, which were not a joke.
    I just felt it shouldn't go unnoticed, I wanted to speak up against it. Merv did acknowledge his mistake, and apologised however the incident should probably not have been broadcast and when that decision was made- it should not have been treated with so little gravitas. Violence against women is not a light hearted joke, it is very real.
    I get that he wasn't seriously threatening her and that at no time was Anna in danger of losing her head- however if we continue to play down violence against women then no real change in attitude can happen.
    If you are in experiencing any type of family violence and need to seek help and support call 1800RESPECT (1800 737 732)

Em.

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mod-Nomsie For This Useful Post:

beebs  (24-02-2015),VicPark  (25-02-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    200 Posts in a week100 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 15/1/15
    And as a follow up to my last comment, this is also news today

today.jpg

Now, ignoring all the stupid comments underneath (because, you only read those if you feel like twisting yourself into fits of rage- and let's be honest- 99% of those stupid comments are made by males anyway- sorry dudes, it's true!)
    I think it's fantastic that this type of news is making main-****** media. Not only the fact that the Vic prem is trying to make progress in the DV arena, but that it's being talked about! Because, really? 14 women have died this year alone? I know nothing of them. I don't know their names. I haven't heard anything about *them* in the news. In fact, if I hadn't of gone looking last week, I wouldn't have known there had been any DV deaths this year at all.

10. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Mod-Nomsie For This Useful Post:

A-Squared  (24-02-2015),beebs  (24-02-2015),SheWarrior  (24-02-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week300 posts in a week200 Posts in a week100 Posts in a week
    Thank god for Em! But those comments! If it was just a "light hearted joke" why did he say it so Anna couldn't hear it?
    Our society will not be made safer for women until we take things seriously. My step father makes comments about the threats my xh made including "he was just blowing off steam" "he wouldn't have meant it"
    Does that make it ok? If he laughed at the end should I go back?
    I actually liked that show but now I am ropeable. When they said it took them a few days to show it. That would be because they had to check with their lawyers as what he said is a CRIME!!
    Being a "good" bloke does not stop them being abusive scum.

12. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to CompareTheMeerkat For This Useful Post:

LoveLivesHere  (24-02-2015),Mod-Nomsie  (24-02-2015),SheWarrior  (24-02-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Your step-father obviously doesn't 'get it'.

I watched a re-play of the show on the weekend (don't normally watch it) and it was curious because the hosts were saying they were woken by producers (or interrupted, sorry) saying there was drama in the camp with Merv Hughes. The footage they showed at the time was only the lead up, and not the actual incident where Merv muttered those words. I was watching it at the time wondering what all the hoo-ha was about.

Now it all makes sense.

If their lawyers had any brains they would have advised against showing the bloody thing altogether. If the producers had any brains, they... well.. I suppose they wouldn't be producing a show like this

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Mod-Nomsie View Post
    Your step-father obviously doesn't 'get it'.

I watched a re-play of the show on the weekend (don't normally watch it) and it was curious because the hosts were saying they were woken by producers (or interrupted, sorry) saying there was drama in the camp with Merv Hughes. The footage they showed at the time was only the lead up, and not the actual incident where Merv muttered those words. I was watching it at the time wondering what all the hoo-ha was about.

Now it all makes sense.

If their lawyers had any brains they would have advised against showing the bloody thing altogether. If the producers had any brains, they... well.. I suppose they wouldn't be producing a show like this
    I agree with everything you have said-but- the producer allowed it *because* it would cause a stir! The problem is now we are all talking about the show, their clips on YouTube will shoot through the roof with views and more people will watch the show to see what all the fuss is about.

Smart move from a business position, terrible one for women's rights.

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CakeyMumma For This Useful Post:

Mod-Nomsie  (24-02-2015),SuperGranny  (24-02-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Quote Originally Posted by Elaine Benes View Post
    I agree with everything you have said-but- the producer allowed it *because* it would cause a stir! The problem is now we are all talking about the show, their clips on YouTube will shoot through the roof with views and more people will watch the show to see what all the fuss is about.

Smart move from a business position, terrible one for women's rights.
    Yes, I know. Publicity at any cost, right?

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Mod-Nomsie For This Useful Post:

CakeyMumma  (24-02-2015)