+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I know with paleo people say the first positive side effect is clearing the foggy brain so yeah I think it's possible

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - Most posts for the week ended 19/6/2014
    Definitely worth a shot but would remove casein as well. There are many success stories out there from parents of ASD/ADHD kids that have gone dairy and gluten free. Most articles i've read/videos i've watched about it have said you will generally start noticing results within 3 weeks.
    The worse thing that can happen is you won't see any improvements and can return to the diet you were previously following.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by HarvestMoon View Post
    Definitely worth a shot but would remove casein as well. There are many success stories out there from parents of ASD/ADHD kids that have gone dairy and gluten free. Most articles i've read/videos i've watched about it have said you will generally start noticing results within 3 weeks.
    The worse thing that can happen is you won't see any improvements and can return to the diet you were previously following.

Can I please ask, if I heavily reduce dairy and gluten (replace, bread, milk etc), but he has a piece of cheese now and then or biscuit, is that ok? Would reducing the amounts be ok, or has to be total elimination?
    I can easily replace with GF bread and almond milk, however my Ds loves cheese and yoghurt!
    Also his grandma gives him 1 little chocolate (eg, mini mars bar) once a week.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - Most posts for the week ended 19/6/2014
    Quote Originally Posted by 2BlueBirds View Post

Can I please ask, if I heavily reduce dairy and gluten (replace, bread, milk etc), but he has a piece of cheese now and then or biscuit, is that ok? Would reducing the amounts be ok, or has to be total elimination?
    I can easily replace with GF bread and almond milk, however my Ds loves cheese and yoghurt!
    Also his grandma gives him 1 little chocolate (eg, mini mars bar) once a week.
    Most of what i've read says it needs to be 100% gone, so i'm not really sure if reducing would be beneficial.
    The protein in dairy is highly addictive which is why most of us find it hard to give up. My DS loved cheese before i cut it out completely, he actually adjusted quite well and quite quickly. His diet is probably better now as he tends to eat a wider variety of food.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to HarvestMoon For This Useful Post:

2BlueBirds  (24-02-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    -Do you use almond milk or rice?
    -What do you give him on GF bread for lunch? (If you do)
    And
    -Can you recommend some yum packet snacks?

Thanks !!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    What cheese does he have? If it has 160b in the ingredient list then change to one that doesn't if you are going to continue giving to him. Also check any other dairy products for 160b. 160a and c are safe.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to WiseOldOwl For This Useful Post:

2BlueBirds  (24-02-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    With gluten it has to be 100% gluten free, no exceptions. Dairy is a little different though, cutting down will still make a difference.

I'd go to a GP and a naturopath personally. Most GPs know next to nothing about elimination diets and their up to date knowledge about food as it relates to health is rather lacking. Naturopaths aren't doctors, true, and thank goodness for that - if I had just kept going to a regular doctor I would still not know I have an iron disorder and thyroid disease and still be extremely sick, it took a naturopath to actually listen and order the tests!

10. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to HillDweller For This Useful Post:

2BlueBirds  (24-02-2015),Elijahs Mum  (24-02-2015),Fiery  (24-02-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by monnie24 View Post
    I'll go against everyone else and say yes eliminate it.

Most GPs are practicing outdated methods.

I would buy Pete Evans new kids book give it a go.
    This - not many gps are up to date with recent advances in nutrition. The Australian food guidelines are outdated, & most gps follow those!

You're better off under the guidance of a naturopath plus dietician/nutritionist, than you are a GP....

Grains aren't nutritionally necessary, you can get everything you need from a nutrition perspective from vegetables, meats, healthy fats, nuts, etc - so it's not going to hurt to eliminate gluten until such time as you get to speak to a professional.
    Last edited by Monkey'sMummy; 24-02-2015 at 20:55.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Can this test really be done if my son doesn't seem to have the common side effects of gluten (stomach aches etc):

"If your child has been diagnosed with a behavioral, mental health, or developmental disorder, it’s important to insist that their doctor test for celiac disease, non-celiac gluten sensitivity, and wheat allergies."

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Avoiding gluten to improve behaviour

Quote Originally Posted by 2BlueBirds View Post
    Can this test really be done if my son doesn't seem to have the common side effects of gluten (stomach aches etc):

"If your child has been diagnosed with a behavioral, mental health, or developmental disorder, it’s important to insist that their doctor test for celiac disease, non-celiac gluten sensitivity, and wheat allergies."

It wouldn't hurt to try
    there's another thread (http://www.bubhub.com.au/community/f...oeliac-Disease) @Rodeobull had her daughter test positive for coeliac without any super obvious symptoms
    Last edited by azelqra; 24-02-2015 at 21:40.