+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Default Avoiding gluten to improve behaviour

I'm considering removing gluten from Ds diet. So far he has no issues with eating Gluten, but is it worth seeing if it wil improve his behaviour?
    He is very impulsive, easily distracted, not concentrating etc.
    He is 5.

Has anyone seen results with no other side effects to having Gluten anyway?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

I don't have personal experience with this but many people report much more mental clarity when they don't eat gluten. Keep in mind though that it can take a VERY long time for gluten to leave his system so you won't see improvements, if any, for at least a good couple weeks
    If you haven't thought about it already I would be thinking about his iron levels, any additives in his food, any refined sugars etc

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    This is interesting, my friend is thinking of doing the same with her son whose 6? I think.
    There's another thread here about try g fish oil also I believe

SuperGranny is offline Worlds best grandma! Winner 2012 - Most Helpful Member
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I have seen in another thread, quite awhile ago, five or six weeks for the effects of gluten to leave the gut, so be patient. marie

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I'd be very careful eliminating things from his diet. Could you see a Nutritionist or Naturopath to get some guidance? It may be gluten, but it may not be. A professional could perhpas give you an indication of what else it could be.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Teenz For This Useful Post:

2BlueBirds  (23-02-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Teenz View Post
    I'd be very careful eliminating things from his diet. Could you see a Nutritionist or Naturopath to get some guidance? It may be gluten, but it may not be. A professional could perhpas give you an indication of what else it could be.
    Maybe I'll wait until his psych & OT appointments.
    Thanks.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by Teenz View Post
    I would see a GP/paed first instead of a nutritionist or naturopath (naturopaths arnet real doctors!)

9. The Following User Says Thank You to VicPark For This Useful Post:

Donnab739  (25-02-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I'll go against everyone else and say yes eliminate it.

Most GPs are practicing outdated methods.

I would buy Pete Evans new kids book give it a go.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts

No personal experience but my SIL is a nutritionist and a naturopath and removing gluten is the first thing she usually has the parents do for their kids that come to see her for behavioural problems, asthma, eczema etc to improve gut health - make sure you try find a GP that has a lot of experience with gluten intolerance or at least one that can give you a referral to a nutritionist or dietician that has - plus look into fish oil and get them to check his vitamin D levels
    Last edited by Elijahs Mum; 23-02-2015 at 20:47.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Elijahs Mum For This Useful Post:

monnie24  (24-02-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Awards:
    Past Moderator - Thank you
    100 Posts in a week
    I didn't eliminate gluten but on a Dietician's advice and with their guidance did the FAILSAFE elimination diet with my DD and she ended up being FAILSAFE for three years. Now she's nine and we aren't as strict - just watch some preservatives, additives and colours.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to misskittyfantastico For This Useful Post:

HappyBovinexx  (23-02-2015)