+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by ExcuseMyFrench View Post
    How can one be confident with breast feeding when milk hasn't event came in?

I had a really good birth, I have no support here (no friends with kids and no family at all). I also live in an apartment on the 3d floor with no elevator.

So I understand you too well. I went home on day 5 and I didn't feel ready then
    However feeling ready and being ready are two different things

I thought the first 2-3 days were really important in terms of rest. It also allows for your milk to come in. So you need to rest and relax.

I found my first bub was a great feeder from the get go but the point when my milk came in was difficult to manage and very stressful as I couldn't get him to latch anymore.
    Luckily I was still in hospital and the help from mw was a saving grace.

I'm pregnant with #2 and I manage to convince my PHI to cover me for pregnancy and back pay the difference. It was only 2 weeks though.
    I plead and plead and plead then said that I would jump ship if they didn't cover me. It tooks several phone calls to convince them but what work was to speak to customer retention.

Alternatively Id look at how much you would pay in PHI premiums to be covered for pregnancy and use that money elsewhere.

I'm sure it would cover a lot of visits from a private middie to your home, maybe 3 a day for the first few days? You can also look in post natal doulas, they come and stay with you.
    You could also go to a hotel after birth to not have to worry about anything else but rest and bond with baby.

Anyway, have a look at how much 1year of premium covering pregnancy would cost you and I'm certain that this amount would cover extra premium service at your place and even a hotel!

Thanks Excuse my French! That is a lot of great advice!

I'm really glad to hear you were able to persuade your PHI I will definitely be doing my best to persuade mine tomorrow otherwise I will look into a doula I don't know much about them but a lot of the above posters have recomended one too so I think it's something I should definitely look into!

The cost of going private definitely is a concern particularly now that I have hypermesis and have been unable to work but I think it would definitely be worth it I hope they will let me back pay, we have been with our PHI for years so maybe that will work in my favour! You've given me some hope! Thank you!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I live in QLD and also expecting my first. I was told the same thing - unless there are complications I will be discharged 6 hrs after the birth. They made quite a big deal about it saying that if this was not right for me I should go though a different program. I'm also a bit worried as I have never looked after a baby before!! I'm just hoping that if I'm really not coping they won't force me to leave. Surely they wouldn't do that?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by grace View Post
    That's not true. You should contact the Birth Centre and ask to speak to someone
    Thanks Grace I will give them a call, I am going through the Gold Coast hospital so I thought they would have given me some information on the birthing centre. What is the difference between birthing centre and hospital? Do the let you stay longer? And do they have everything they need in case there are any problems with bub?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by ThenThereWereThree View Post
    Ive birthed 2 babies and Im still scared of giving birth, I think thats a logical thing to be honest.
    Birthing a baby is painful, its very worth it but yes it hurts,
    I was up at 2 am the morning I went into labour with my first freaking out about what I had volunteered to put myself through (then I did it a second time and if I have the opportunity may do it a third )

my second birth was a hell of a lot more painful than my first but I did it without drugs so of course it was but in the 10 minutes after birth all I could think was HOLY **** I DID THAT? ME? this little person just came OUT of me, holy crap Im like amazing <- talk about birth high or what?

I couldnt wait to get home both times, went public and was kept in for 7 days and 5 days, depending on hospital size I dont think they push you out if youre not coping, also nsw have a home visit mchn scheme for first time mums
    Haha thanks ThenThereWereThree, it does give me a little bit of peace of mind knowing that women do it again and again. Sounds like NSW is the place to have a baby 5 days would be great!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Natie Nat View Post
    Thanks heartstrings! Do you mind if I ask where you had you bub? I will be going through Gold Coast hospital. I'm glad to hear that you weren't in pain during your labor! I will be having an epidural too but I am still scared of pain and things going wrong the unknown is very very scary!

It really helps to hear that your birth wasn't as bad as you thought it would be and that you actually wanted to go home from hospital before they kicked you out. I hope things go as well for me!

Thankyou!
    I had my son at the Royal Brisbane.

I was scared of the pain too & things going wrong. Honestly though once i was actually in labour i forgot about all that & was just focusing on giving birth.

I was in a bit of pain when i first got to hospital but they were great & i asked for gas & they gave it to me & it helped while i was waiting for the epidural. I couldn't have done it without pain relief, but with the pain relief it wasnt that bad. Pretty sure i even had a snooze for a while after the epidural kicked in, before i got to the pushing stage.

I was scared of getting the epidural but it was over pretty quickly. It hurt a little but it was tolerable & quick. The hardest part was sitting still during a contraction when they put the needle in.

The midwives in the birth suite are great at suggesting different things for pain management while waiting for the epidural - different positions etc. I found that helped.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to heartstringz For This Useful Post:

Natie Nat  (24-02-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Terrified of birth & being made to leave hospital before I'm ready!

I had my baby in QLD in May last year at the RBWH Birth Centre. This was my first baby and I had her at 6am in the morning after no complications and no pain relief at all due to fast delivery. I was discharged by around 4pm that night. So around 10 hours after delivery.

I had concerns before labour about how I would feel being discharged early but once I had her I was on such a high and felt very very good. I had an honest discussion with the midwife before I left hospital that day and she said I would be better at home in our own surroundings then on the ward. I agreed and we went home. The midwife was at my place first thing the next morning to see me and stayed for at least 1 1/2 hour and reassured me we were doing great. I did have some feeding issues but they would have presented in hospital and treated the same regardless of whether I was home or still in hospital.

I felt by discharging the same day I didn't worry and my baby and I worked things out without pressure and too many people telling me advice. I am still exclusively breastfeeding after a rocky start nine months later. The whole way through my pregnancy I was in the care of three midwives who I loved and they also provided the after care. I could not fault the birth centre at all and loved the experience.

My friend who also birthed at the RBWH but in the Birth Suites stayed 3 nights and also had no complications but it was a different service and she felt more comfortable in hospital. Speak to your midwives about your concerns but also don't let it hinder your birth experience as nothing in the birth process can be planned so do your research and be flexible.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to tessa27 For This Useful Post:

Natie Nat  (24-02-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by Natie Nat View Post
    Thanks Excuse my French! That is a lot of great advice!

I'm really glad to hear you were able to persuade your PHI I will definitely be doing my best to persuade mine tomorrow otherwise I will look into a doula I don't know much about them but a lot of the above posters have recomended one too so I think it's something I should definitely look into!

The cost of going private definitely is a concern particularly now that I have hypermesis and have been unable to work but I think it would definitely be worth it I hope they will let me back pay, we have been with our PHI for years so maybe that will work in my favour! You've given me some hope! Thank you!
    no worries!
    In inner Melb you'd be somewhere between 3-5k out of pocket at a minimum. So that's on top of your PHI premiums.

I'm with medibank and 1 year on a cover that includes pregnancy is an extra 1k vs the cover below.

So at the most, going private cost me $4-$6k which would pay for a lot of private midwifes visits, lactation consultants and even a 4 nights stay in a 5* hotel.
    Something to think about!

10. The Following User Says Thank You to ExcuseMyFrench For This Useful Post:

Natie Nat  (24-02-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I should add that the aftercare program is amazing in QLD - for two weeks I had visits from the midwives and they would come as often as you needed. That could be every day or every second day until you are sorted. Also if you are not feeling well or need extra help I don't think they hesitate to admit you back into hospital.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to tessa27 For This Useful Post:

Natie Nat  (24-02-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by MrsSS View Post
    You are not overreacting at all!!! I'm 40wks at the moment and I'm terrified of giving birth!!!!

You have every right to feel how you feel. You stand your ground my friend!
    Thanks MrSS, I hope everything goes perfectly for your birth!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Mumlife86 View Post
    Im in Qld hun and have never heard of this, unless it has since changed...my youngest is now 3 so it may have :/ I think it's really silly to be honest, I think it should be a minimum 1 night and maximum 2 nights, obviously c-sec and/or other issues would need a few days longer.
    Mumlife I think it has changed, probably the government trying to save money again in all the wrong places!

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Natie Nat For This Useful Post:

Mumlife86  (25-02-2015)