+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by meredithgrey View Post
    it depends on what happens. If all goes well with no dramas and your confident with feeding then you can go home early.

if you have a caesarean, massive tear, massive hemorrhage, have difficulty breastfeeding etc then you stay longer.
    That's what I was going to say, I went public in qld with my first and I had massive haemorrhaging and she wasn't feeding fantastically so there was no way they were letting me go home that night.

They will make the call and you can always liaise with the doctors and nurses.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to MrsSS For This Useful Post:

Natie Nat  (24-02-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks Busy-Bee!

I have a lot of experience with kids as I've worked in the childcare for 8 years but as it has worked out I've never worked with babies under the age of 9 months I feel like I should be able to pick it all up pretty quickly but I would just like to know that I have the support and help I need with learning all of the basics of being a mum to a newborn and I'm worried I'll be really sore and therefore struggle at home especially as we have stairs. Birth is so scary and it all just seems like it's a big production line at the hospital.

I am am planning on taking as many anti natal classes as possible but haven't booked yet as I have hypermesis (severe morning sickness) so pretty much couch bound at the moment. I will be booking classes as soon as I'm well enough!

I will definitely be checking out the baby love book!

Thanks for for your great advice!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger - Thanks100 Posts in a week
    I think it's sad women are being sent home as soon as 6 hours after birth against their wishes..... and then wonder why we have bad bfing rates, PND etc. I understand the fault doesn't lie with the middies. They are simply trying to service everyone with the meager resources they are given. But geez.

5. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to delirium For This Useful Post:

cheeeeesecake  (23-02-2015),GrabbyCrabby  (24-02-2015),Mumlife86  (23-02-2015),Natie Nat  (24-02-2015),Ngaiz  (24-02-2015),SuperGranny  (24-02-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by delirium View Post
    I think it's sad women are being sent home as soon as 6 hours after birth against their wishes..... and then wonder why we have bad bfing rates, PND etc. I understand the fault doesn't lie with the middies. They are simply trying to service everyone with the meager resources they are given. But geez.
    Exactly right, with the amount of births my public hospital book a year we have to have a strict discharge policy unfortunately. At our hospital it's 24-48 hrs for a vaginal birth and 3 nights for a c-section. With the exception of major complications of course.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to 3bubbys For This Useful Post:

Natie Nat  (24-02-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks Mrs Snowman!

I'm sorry to hear that your birth didn't go well but I'm glad to hear you felt well supported!

Im not sure if my hospital has a caseload program I have never heard of that before, I am doing shared care with my GP at the moment and have a student midwife would this be pretty much the same as shared care with a midwife?

Thanks again again for your advice!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks MeridethGrey!
    I have been reading a lot online and will be going to classes as soon as I am well enough.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I had DD2 in a public hosp. and was discharged ariund 48 hours later. I was told if I wasn't ready to leave they wouldn't push me.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Cicho For This Useful Post:

Natie Nat  (24-02-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by meredithgrey View Post
    it depends on what happens. If all goes well with no dramas and your confident with feeding then you can go home early.
    How can one be confident with breast feeding when milk hasn't event came in?

I had a really good birth, I have no support here (no friends with kids and no family at all). I also live in an apartment on the 3d floor with no elevator.

So I understand you too well. I went home on day 5 and I didn't feel ready then
    However feeling ready and being ready are two different things

I thought the first 2-3 days were really important in terms of rest. It also allows for your milk to come in. So you need to rest and relax.

I found my first bub was a great feeder from the get go but the point when my milk came in was difficult to manage and very stressful as I couldn't get him to latch anymore.
    Luckily I was still in hospital and the help from mw was a saving grace.

I'm pregnant with #2 and I manage to convince my PHI to cover me for pregnancy and back pay the difference. It was only 2 weeks though.
    I plead and plead and plead then said that I would jump ship if they didn't cover me. It tooks several phone calls to convince them but what work was to speak to customer retention.

Alternatively Id look at how much you would pay in PHI premiums to be covered for pregnancy and use that money elsewhere.

I'm sure it would cover a lot of visits from a private middie to your home, maybe 3 a day for the first few days? You can also look in post natal doulas, they come and stay with you.
    You could also go to a hotel after birth to not have to worry about anything else but rest and bond with baby.

Anyway, have a look at how much 1year of premium covering pregnancy would cost you and I'm certain that this amount would cover extra premium service at your place and even a hotel!

13. The Following User Says Thank You to ExcuseMyFrench For This Useful Post:

Natie Nat  (24-02-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks M'LadyEm!

It doesn't sound as though I will have much of an option with my hospital I told the midwife I was concerned about having to leave the hospital too early and she said as long as the birth is normal that I will have to go home on day 2. Obviously I am hoping for a normal birth more than anything but I expected the hospital to be really supportive to new and very scared mums.

I will taking all of the classes available to me and have signed up for a student midwife, hopefully these thing will help with my anxiety.

Thanks for your advice!

Thanks
    Reviews
    MeridethGrey I did look into the Gold Coast birth centre but apparently you can't have pain relief if you go through them and I really scared of doing it even with pain relief I don't think I would be strong enough to do it without!