+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger

Default Is this separation anxiety??

My DD is just over 2. For about the last month she was been overly clingy to me. She doesn't attend childcare but I've left her with DH, my Mum and MIL frequently and she used to be fine with it, even now she's fine if I leave her with my Mum or MIL but at home she doesn't want a bar of DH. He used to do bath time and put her to bed at night while I got dinner ready for us, recently she just cries and cries hysterically as she only wants me. It's exhausting. She's recently dropped her day nap so it's her and I all. day. long. I love her but not even having 5 minutes to myself during the day is doing my head in and then to have to do it all at night too, it's just getting too much.

It's not that DH won't do it, he tries but for example tonight I've had her all day as he's been working and I'm just over it this week so when he got home I told him to put her to bed and she's crying and crying for over an hour, I can hear her now and my heart aches and I want to go in to her but the other part of me just wants a break!

So is this normal 2 year old separation anxiety? If so what do I do about it? I love my daughter but I need alone time every now and then, I can't be the only one who can feed/bath/sleep/play or interact with her ever, I need her to go back to being okay with her Dad.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    My 2yo won't have a bar of DH if I'm home. It breaks his heart. If I want to shower or just a break for 5 minutes and he tries to watch her she screams for me, will not let him change her nappy etc. She never always used to be that way but now it's MUMMY MUMMY DO IT!

So no real advice I just know how exhausting it is. There are times when it's just so suffocating. My dd doesn't go to childcare but adores mum and also DH when I'm a work (he has her alone once a fortnight).

I've been where you are tonight. I know it's because they love us but jebus! All day long and dying for a break when DH gets home but nope. *hugs*

Eta: at least my dd still naps..... That is my one saving grace! You are an amazing woman!
    Last edited by Little Miss Sunshine; 22-02-2015 at 20:19.

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Little Miss Sunshine For This Useful Post:

A-Squared  (05-02-2016),Mama Mirabelle  (23-04-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    My 20 month old has been going through this the last few weeks. It's heightened first thing in the morning and last thing at night. DH used to do bath and bed routine but DS has had a similar reaction to your daughter. We persevere until the point where he is inconsolable then I go up and finish the routine. During the day we play the bye bye game, he says bye and goes out of view then jumps out and says boo, I copy. It's meant to help them with seperate on anxiety. It is improving slightly, DH has done the last 2/3 nights bed routine totally alone again with little fuss. There was one pretty rough night where DS went nuts until DH said Mumma was gone out. Then DS was like oh right ok well you'll do then. However still moments during the day where he won't leave me to hang out with DH. DS is in daycare 3 days a week, no issues there at all. The only thing j can think of is I'm due a baby in about 6 weeks and DS somehow is craving mum time because of that.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Elle83 For This Useful Post:

Mama Mirabelle  (23-04-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    My little girl is 2 and 3 months lately the clingy ness is driving me crazy! I mean it's cute and all but I work almost full time so the days DH has had her I just want to come home and have a shower in peace but I can't even go to the toilet without her knocking like crazy on the door ! And she won't sleep in her bed all night well very rarely she sneaks in during night and squashes right up to me so I can't move then she will go back to sleep! Or she will get on me like when she was a baby with her head on my chest! I feel sorry for DH as she will not let him put her to bed unless when I am work once a week. I just don't know how to fix it ! She goes to child care two days a week and she has been going since she was 1 she has been fine up until the last few weeks she has started to get sooky when we drop her off

Thanks
    Reviews
    My eldest was a super clingy toddler. She is now 11 and is fine. Still a bit of a mummy's girl but your beautiful girls will grow out of it. Just persist

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi there, yes this is normal at least in my experience. Sometimes my dd screams and has a mini melt down if i pass her into the care of another loving, caring adult family member! Including her father! Press on with it and enjoy your time to yourself when you can get it ☺

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/4/15100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by Marchbundle View Post
    My eldest was a super clingy toddler. She is now 11 and is fine. Still a bit of a mummy's girl but your beautiful girls will grow out of it. Just persist
    When did she grow out of it?

OP big hugs, I'm going through this now and have been for a month and DD is nearly 4. The last few days she has slowly been letting DH back in.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I posted my reply a year ago (old thread) and nothing has changed! Lol (otherwise I'd cry)

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Little Miss Sunshine For This Useful Post:

littleriv  (05-02-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Loli could have written my post a year ago, still the same today!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by A-Squared View Post
    When did she grow out of it?

OP big hugs, I'm going through this now and have been for a month and DD is nearly 4. The last few days she has slowly been letting DH back in.
    Around 6 I guess. She repeated prep and came out of her shell. Up until then, first year of prep, day care, staying at her grandmother's, there were tears...then second year of prep, was like a switch went off and she was more confident in herself. She is a sensitive kid, but the clingyness will disappear one day, have hope.