+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Cue View Post

If your GP is saying she's "allergic" to milk then they clearly don't know much about food issues.
    Oh sorry I didn't type clearly- DD is the one has has said she is "allergic" to dairy, not the GP. She's definitely not allergic, but I thought possibly intolerant. We tried lactose free stuff with no effect, and now trying no dairy, with so far no effect.
    I am in south Sydney, if you know a good paed around here I would appreciate any recommendations!
    Quote Originally Posted by Gothel View Post

Are you keeping a food diary? You could even try just one dairy/gluten free meal a day and see how her symptoms rise and fall around that. I think you need to find help but anyone who helps will want a food diary, and you will get a lot more out of it if you already have clues. They can help you narrow it down from there.

Edit: the gp can give her a "personal care plan" which will fund 5 visits to a dietician. They need to justify it though so if you have a diary showing her symptoms and any improvements through elimination, that will help your case
    I haven't kept a food diary yet, just a diary with a daily summary of symptoms. I will get started on the food diary, thanks!
    re. the gluten, wouldn't the blood test have shown an intolerance to that? They tested for coeliacs already.

And thanks so much for the tip with the funded dietitian! I will have to speak to the GP about that!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Default Elimination diets

Blood tests don't really say much about intolerances. I could be wrong but I think coeliacs is an immune issue and intolerances are digestive? Could be wrong on that.
    A stool sample is a better test (check for blood cells in the stool which suggest an irritation in the bowel).
    It's actually really rare to have a true lactose intolerance, it's much more likely to be a protein intolerance. The two are easily mixed up.

The paed we see is in norwest and chatswood so probably a bit far for you. He's one of the consultants at the children's hospital in Westmead.

Gothel is offline Skip the drama, stay with Mama!
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CMF View Post

I haven't kept a food diary yet, just a diary with a daily summary of symptoms. I will get started on the food diary, thanks!
    re. the gluten, wouldn't the blood test have shown an intolerance to that? They tested for coeliacs already.

And thanks so much for the tip with the funded dietitian! I will have to speak to the GP about that!
    No worries No, blood tests can't diagnose intolerances. I'm not sure of the ins and outs but elimination is the best way they have currently of diagnosing intolerance. There are things in wheat that can cause upset tummies apart from gluten, Some people think there is a true gluten intolerance apart from coeliacs but it's hotly debated onlibe. Dd7 reacts to the sugars in wheat (called fructans) and there might be other things too, I'm no expert. Look up "hydrogen breath test", that's what dd7 had done to diagnose her. Hth poor little kid hope she feels better soon
    Last edited by Gothel; 23-02-2015 at 13:02.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Hmmm... ok, thanks so much Cue and Gothel. This is all sounding much more involved than I thought it would be.
    But I've been at doctors for DD's symptoms for soooo long and they're just not really being that helpful, hence why I have started looking into things myself.
    The new paed is on the 9th, so about 2 weeks away. Gosh that sounds so long. I'm just over it.
    Can a GP do that hydrogen breath test?
    I will also ask the paed straight up about possible food intolerances and a dietitian. He also needs to fix up her asthma meds. And I am going to ask for another xray to see how the constipation is going. No more pussy-footing around for this mumma! I'm sick of it!

5. The Following User Says Thank You to CMF For This Useful Post:

Cue  (23-02-2015)