+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default Elimination diets

Just wondering for anyone who has done an elimination diet to test for intolerances/allergies, how long did you do it for? And how long after starting did you notice a reduction in symptoms?

Reason I'm asking is because DD has been on an elimination diet for 2 weeks. I had planned 3 weeks, but today we went to a bday party and there was seriously nothing else she could eat that didn't have dairy in it, so I said she could have some. Now I don't know whether to re-start the diet or just give up on it; her symptoms hadn't resolved at all in the 2 weeks. I know that sometimes it can take 1-2 weeks for symptoms to resolve, but hers had been absolutely no better, so I'm wondering if the suspect food has been proved to be safe afterall.
    Hmmmm....

Any advice?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Default Elimination diets

What are the symptoms she's showing?

I was told it takes about 2 weeks for milk proteins to leave the body and then I would imagine some additional time for any irritation to properly heal.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Also, are you replacing the dairy with anything? E.g. Soy or goats milk or anything like that?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Cue View Post
    What are the symptoms she's showing?

I was told it takes about 2 weeks for milk proteins to leave the body and then I would imagine some additional time for any irritation to properly heal.
    Also, are you replacing the dairy with anything? E.g. Soy or goats milk or anything like that?
    She's having daily nausea and tummy pain, and is constipated.

I have bought a few different alternative milks, but she doesn't like them. Doesn't like dairy milk either, never has. I have used the milks in cooking though if needed, and I've bought dairy-free margarine for her too. She doesn't like the soy yoghurt I bought her.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by CMF View Post
    She's having daily nausea and tummy pain, and is constipated.

I have bought a few different alternative milks, but she doesn't like them. Doesn't like dairy milk either, never has. I have used the milks in cooking though if needed, and I've bought dairy-free margarine for her too. She doesn't like the soy yoghurt I bought her.
    When dealing with cows milk protein intolerance with DD and now again with DS, I avoided all soy and milks from any animal. I didn't use any of it in cooking either. Its quite hard to completely eliminate all animal milks and soy but it's worth a try. I would recommend seeing a dietician if you haven't already, just to make sure she's still getting enough calcium etc from other foods. I personally wouldn't start any kind of elimination diet for kids unless under supervision from a dietician (not a nutritionist or naturopath).

I assume you've had tests done with your GP to eliminate other issues like IBS or coeliacs or anything like that?

Thanks
    Reviews
    When dealing with cows milk protein intolerance with DD and now again with DS, I avoided all soy and milks from any animal. I didn't use any of it in cooking either. Its quite hard to completely eliminate all animal milks and soy but it's worth a try. I would recommend seeing a dietician if you haven't already, just to make sure she's still getting enough calcium etc from other foods. I personally wouldn't start any kind of elimination diet for kids unless under supervision from a dietician (not a nutritionist or naturopath).

I assume you've had tests done with your GP to eliminate other issues like IBS or coeliacs or anything like that?
    Yes she's been tested for coeliacs, negative. She's had x-rays and ultrasounds, all are normal, except the constipation.

The GP said I could try an elimination diet if I wanted to, as she has always said she's "allergic" to milk. Her paed is an idiot who has done nothing, but we are seeing a new one in a couple of weeks.
    I have been worried about her diet, so if she was showing that the elimination diet was helping, then I would definitely go and see a dietician about formulating a balanced diet. She is taking calcium tablets atm, because even without this diet, she really doesn't have many calcium-rich foods.

But so far I haven't seen any difference. Last night she has been fine (after eating chocolate etc yesterday at the party). I would have thought she would have had some worsening of symptoms?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Intolerances are tricky, it's hard to diagnose definitively and symptoms vary so much in severity and can be delayed - if you've been avoiding dairy for 2 weeks and she had some chocolate yesterday, it might not be enough to cause a reaction on its own. It can be a cumulative thing, if she had it again today and tomorrow she might end up in discomfort.

If your GP is saying she's "allergic" to milk then they clearly don't know much about food issues. I used to get so annoyed when people would refer to DDs CMPI as an allergy. In my experience Paeds can be great but a dietitian is still your best bet if it is an issue with food. A decent paed should get you to see a paediatric dietitian if they suspect intolerances. Hopefully the next paed you see is good and does a thorough review of your DDs symptoms and tests. There's nothing more frustrating than not knowing what's going on.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I just checked your profile, going by your postcode I'm guessing you're South of Wollongong? If you were willing to travel to Sydney I can recommend a good paediatrician if you feel like you're not getting anywhere.

SuperGranny is offline Worlds best grandma! Winner 2012 - Most Helpful Member
    Thanks
    Reviews
    I was on the fodmap diet for many months, with no change in my symptoms, so I gave up on the whole thing. I have been tested for allergies, and coelics, and whatever else. I seem to have IBS and that is all there is to it. I don't have any expierence with children with intolerences, but I do understand that it can take quite a few weeks to 'normalise the gut" once a trigger food is removed. eg, up to five or six week for wheat to leave the gut. I think a dietian would be the next person to see. marie.

Gothel is offline Skip the drama, stay with Mama!
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Dd7 is dairy allergic and has fructose mslabsorption. Elimination diets are *very* tricky to do alone without a professional to help narrow it down and guide you along. I second seeing a dietician for that reason. You can also find out where you can get her tested locally for Fructose/lactose etc.

Re how long it took for symptoms to improve, when we hit the right food it was within days. Dd5 is dairy allergic so that's an obvious one, she's vomiting within minutes of having some. Wheat and chickpeas are her other big triggers, she feels off for a couple of days after having them but it takes repeated daily doses for the vomiting to start.

I would think if you've seen no real improvement after two weeks of no dairy, then that's not the culprit. What else does she eat regularly, I'd try removing the next biggest food group, which is probably wheat? (I'm just guessing, it's likely that her biggest food groups are causing the problem unless she's very sensitive to something she eats in small amounts, if that makes sense). Find a soft gluten free bread and get the Coles gluten free pasta, switch to sakata rice crackers. Just for a week.

Are you keeping a food diary? You could even try just one dairy/gluten free meal a day and see how her symptoms rise and fall around that. I think you need to find help but anyone who helps will want a food diary, and you will get a lot more out of it if you already have clues. They can help you narrow it down from there.

Edit: the gp can give her a "personal care plan" which will fund 5 visits to a dietician. They need to justify it though so if you have a diary showing her symptoms and any improvements through elimination, that will help your case
    Last edited by Gothel; 23-02-2015 at 09:39.