+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Tough when you're the only playmate!

DD is going through a bit of a phase at the moment where she will just not play on her own. She has always been great at entertaining herself, it's only been her & I since day dot so it's all she's ever known, but I'm struggling to keep up with her atm it's really hard when it's just the two of you, nothing else going on. No other parent coming home from work, no other kids to pick up from school, just me & her all day. She doesn't nap at all. I'm constantly at war with myself over how to handle it, I don't want to refuse her when she comes up to me so excitedly wanting me to do something for her but it's getting to the ridiculous stage...she'll ask for a toy then cry when I give it to her & say, "No, not that!" Even though it's what she's just asked for! I know that stuff is all part of toddlerhood and it will pass...but some days, like today, when it's too hot to do anything outside and she's bored with everything inside, I can't take her anywhere as the petrol cost literally does not fit into my budget this week...I just feel like I'm short changing her I don't have the energy to deal with her OR the housework piling up due to the fact that as soon as I start to do something she'll stop what she's doing and want my attention again. Like I said, it's all part of it, I know, and it will pass...just ain't easy in the meantime!!! Does anyone else ever feel like they are just not good at coming up with activities?? I really struggle some days, DD is exceptionally smart for her age and often isn't satisfied with things for long. *sigh* lol

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    give yourself a break...
    It all sounds perfectly normal to me.
    Toddlers are exhausting and I regularly felt the same when mine were that age.
    Here's some things I used to do when mine were little to buy myself a bit of peace and quiet...
    1) cut out pictures from magazine and let them glue them to paper.
    2) fill up some buckets of water and put cups, wooden spoons etc in and let them play
    3) get every pillow in the house and put them in the lounge room so they can make a pillow castle.
    4) Hats and a mirror
    I know you said she doesn't nap... but do you still have a cot or somewhere safe to put her for an hour each day for "quiet time" where she has to lie down and read books or play quietly while you rest uninterupted.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Can you afford a day or two a week or daycare ??

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thank you for the suggestions! And I know it is totally normal just overwhelming at times!

Funnily enough she has actually been like this since starting daycare. It's like she expects home to be as exciting as it is there!!! Always other kids to play with & things to do. This is why I feel bad haha.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Oh and as for quiet time...I'm not sure how to enforce this? It'd be great for her but I just don't think she'd do it! If I told her to stay on her bed and read or play quietly I think I'd be faced with a meltdown!

Thanks
    Reviews
    I started enforcing quiet time with my DS when he was about 2.5. I bought a kids audio book that was about 20 minutes long and told him he had to stay in his room until it was finished. Then a week or two later he had to listen to it twice.

We eventually worked up to an hour.

Your library should have some audio books so you could try it without having to buy one?

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to gizmo For This Useful Post:

BerryDelicious  (27-02-2015),yadot  (23-02-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by gizmo View Post
    I started enforcing quiet time with my DS when he was about 2.5. I bought a kids audio book that was about 20 minutes long and told him he had to stay in his room until it was finished. Then a week or two later he had to listen to it twice.

We eventually worked up to an hour.

Your library should have some audio books so you could try it without having to buy one?
    Excellent advice. Thank you so much!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Why not get her involved in the housework. She can help load the washing machine, hand you the pegs to hang it out, a chair at the sink to help you wash up, a cloth when your dusting and help with the vacuuming. That way you are killing 2 birds with one stone.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by WiseOldOwl View Post
    Why not get her involved in the housework. She can help load the washing machine, hand you the pegs to hang it out, a chair at the sink to help you wash up, a cloth when your dusting and help with the vacuuming. That way you are killing 2 birds with one stone.
    Oh I absolutely do she's great like that and it's fun for me too. Honestly she is a great kid & I'm so blessed. Just a difficult phase right now especially being on my own, but I'll adapt!!! I work but it's very casual and don't have many family nearby so sometimes I feel like I'm going a little stir crazy! I'm in a lovely relationship but that is quite new and he's away a lot for work so it does get lonely at times.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to amcyus For This Useful Post:

WiseOldOwl  (22-02-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Sounds like you've got a great kid and you are a great mum. We all get overwhelmed at times.. They usually do quiet time at daycare where they have to lie on a mattress and rest so hopefully she'll adapt pretty easy if you introduce it at home as well. Don't spring it on her, say something like we are going for a walk , then when we come home you are having a lie down and some quiet time.
    And fyi ..I was an only child and it was great. I grew up with a wonderful imagination, great communication skills and was easily able to entertain myself. Xx