+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default How to overcome fear of flying

I am after some tips on how to overcome fear of flying.

I used to love flying and travelling before having kids. Travelled all over Europe and Asia. But since having kids I have been so paranoid about flying. Mainly scared of planes going down. I am just so scared that if I die then my kids will have no one to look after. My husband wants to go overseas next month and I have told him that if I have to go then I want to fly separately to him so if one of us goes down there's still another alive.
    I know it's all very silly and the percentage of crashing is lower than having a car accident but i am so paranoid that it feels like it's all going to happen! Eg when I look at my kids all I think about is who's going to look after them when I die, will they remember me and how sad they will be when they find out as if I AM going to die. And I feel so anxious all the time and am thinking about things like where I should put my diary so they will find it and hopefully read it when they grow up and will know how much I love them.
    This fear has gotten worse in the last year. Most recent trip was about 2 years ago and I was no way near this bad.
    DH thinks I am crazy and insists we go and jokes about it eg I will let you blame me when we go down or ok I know you won't forgive me after. But it's the living that suffers! Poor kids. I would say to him.
    I know I am being very silly but I don't know how to overcome this. And it's on my mind ALL the time.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I used to be terrified of flying. The only thing that made me "get over" it if you like was to continue flying. I went to the dr when I was at most worst and he prescribed me some anxiety meds to take which helped a lot on the actual flight. Hypnotherapy is meant to help with this sort of thing too but it's not something I have ever tried. I find that these days while I don't enjoy flying, I am in no way as terrified of it as I once was.

It's a horrible fear and now with a DS of my own I completely understand how you feel. I also have a fear of dying now which I've never had before as I can't stand the thought of DS being without his mum.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Pearlygirl For This Useful Post:

tubster  (21-02-2015)

harvs is offline Winner 2014 - Spirit of BubHub Award
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/4/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 2/4/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 19/3/15Busiest Member of the Week200 Posts in a week
    I have a couple of suggestions as I also have a fear of flying, but I just wanted to put it out there that from your post it sounds like there are other issues there that would still need to be dealt with somehow.

It reads as though your fear is more of leaving your children prematurely, and atm it is manifesting itself through a fear of flying. Obviously I could be wrong, but that's how it reads to me.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to harvs For This Useful Post:

tubster  (21-02-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Awesome Queen of Amazingtown View Post
    I have a couple of suggestions as I also have a fear of flying, but I just wanted to put it out there that from your post it sounds like there are other issues there that would still need to be dealt with somehow.

It reads as though your fear is more of leaving your children prematurely, and atm it is manifesting itself through a fear of flying. Obviously I could be wrong, but that's how it reads to me.
    I think you are right. I don't want to leave my kids. DH and I have talked about who will look after them if something happens to us and non of the family members seems to be good enough.
    But I have also imagined other scenarios, eg if we all travelled would I feel better and the answer is still no, I would be scared if the plane does go down then the kids will die too and they haven't even lived their life yet!
    Honestly I don't know what's wrong with me. I don't think my in laws or my parents are bad at all in fact I leave them with MIL a lot (although I am scared that MIL might pass away while the kids are under her watch and so I have been calling a lot to make sure everything is ok. MIL is old but healthy). I know I am very paranoid and have been feeling very insecure since having kids.
    I have been paranoid about other things too like I have been turning off all the power switches off at night because I am scared there might be a fire. I have been imagining escape routes if there's a break and entering and if someone wanted to invade the house what would I do (I think about it daily). We are a good family with no bad connections yet I am still extremely scared of something bad happening.
    Now this flying thing is taking over all the other fears for the time being.

harvs is offline Winner 2014 - Spirit of BubHub Award
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/4/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 2/4/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 19/3/15Busiest Member of the Week200 Posts in a week
    You sound very like me :-) I do those things. It might be worth chatting to your GP as I know how crippling it can be.

I'll be back in the morning and I'll offer my ideas about flying then (too tied to make sense tonight)...