+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week

Default High fever

Dd2 has a very high fever of almost 40. Dr has been to see her and said she is at risk of fever related seizures. She advised me to strip dd2 off and wrap her in a wet towel and stand her under the fan for 3 mins, turning the towel every 30 secs to bring the fever down fast. Have done that and it went to 38.9.

Am going to give panadol to help as well.

At what point should I worry or seek more medical help?? Wait to see if panadol brings it down again or should I do something more now?

I have never had to deal with high fevers like this and the dr didn't say when/if I should seek more medical advice.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I think if it starts to climb again, I'd head to the hospital. Hoping it continues to go down!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Yes hopefully the panadol does the trick. Back up to 39.5 now, just gave panadol so will see in half hour. Its scary how fast it happened! She was perfectly fine this morning and then all of sudden was screaming in pain then just became really lethargic and hasnt moved off the couch since.

Thanks
    Reviews
    How old is she?
    Dr has always told me that if you can manage it at home and there are no other symptoms present like lethargy etc then see how you go. Also you can alternate both nurofen and panadol. Our paediatrician referred me to this info from RCH. It's good guide. http://www.rch.org.au/kidsinfo/fact_...r_in_children/

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Oh no, poor little thing. High temps are scary. Do you have nurofen as well? I would give panadol and nurofen then alternate between the 2 after that. If her temp is still this high after 24 hours, I'd take her to the hospital.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    She is 4.5 @Tamtam. Thanks for the link. I just read another one from the RCH (wanted to know the signs to watch out for just in case) and it said panadol and nurofen etc do not prevent it, but still at least it may make her more comfortable. She is really lethargic but staying awake (just). Will definitely keep a close eye on her and see how she goes. This is the first time any of the kids have been sick- they have had infections etc before (still rare for them though), but never been like this. My poor little poppet.

Eta- she has fallen asleep and very difficult to wake. Breathing etc is normal...

Thanks
    Reviews
    I'd let her sleep. And see how she is after. Keep her hydrated.
    My 2 year old had a raging fever of 40 last weekend. ..out of nowhere. I gave her panadol and a bath! It lingered around 38 for a couple of days. ... But otherwise okay. That health line can be helpful too when deciding what to do.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    It's fine to let her sleep but continue to check her temperature. If it's not going down give nurofen/ibuprofen as well. That should do the trick but if it doesn't she'll need to see a Dr again. Continue keeping her lightly dressed and use a cool face washer, etc

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Tamtam View Post
    How old is she?
    Dr has always told me that if you can manage it at home and there are no other symptoms present like lethargy etc then see how you go. Also you can alternate both nurofen and panadol. Our paediatrician referred me to this info from RCH. It's good guide. http://www.rch.org.au/kidsinfo/fact_...r_in_children/
    This is what I do. DS gets up to 41 when he has tonsilitis. As long as the panadol/nurofen brings it down I don't panic. It's when it doesn't come down that I start to worry. Cool clothes and a fan on her should help.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Does she had an infection? Is she on antibiotics? I'd be doing the same as previous posters, regular panadol/nurofen, keep her cool, let her sleep.
    My 8 month old had a few febrile convulsions and we ended up taking her to hospital, but they only did what we were already doing at home.