+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Vbac at redlands hospital in brisbane

Hi everyone. I am currently pregnant again (only 8 weeks but researching like crazy!), and looking at attempting a vbac (baby number 2 is due 30 months after I had an emergency c-section due to failure to progress past 7cm). I'll hopefully be birthing at redlands hospital (dr only just put my referral in last week) and just wanting to hear from any mums who attempted / successfully had a vbac at redlands, especially recently. Were they pro vbac and what was your experience like? Thanks ladies!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I haven't had a VBAC but I know that they are open to it depending on your "risk" category.

I would definitely recommend you speaking to a private midwife about this. Both family midwives and midwives first have access rights to Redland hospital. Their initial appointments are fully bulk billed to just get an understanding of your options etc.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks busy bee I'll definitely look into that!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    How did you go 😊

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I had a vbac at the royal in Brisbane. There was a few hoops to jump through and I had to sign consent forms that I was aware of the risks. Which I found hilarious since all births aren't free from risk.
    Overall I found the midwives to be supportive and encouraging. They really support the more natural processes and loved that I was willing to try for the vbac. And focused on success.

The obstetrics staff were less encouraging. They seemed more focused on the risks and negative stories. Even if they are the 1% of all cases.

I delivered without a hitch with only two midwives in the room. I didn't see an obgyn until I needed a stitch for a small tear.

I did have to have monitoring but it was wireless so I was still able to get in the shower and move around as much as I wanted.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi busy bee! I haven't had confirmation yet that I have been accepted yet, so if/when I get that I will take the next step! Fingers crossed!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Madewithlove I am not in the catchment area for the mater or rbh unfortunately 😯

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Is Redlands public?
    You would assume that being qld health all together that their policies would be reasonably similar though?
    Best of luck!

Public hospitals in particular have a higher rate of successful VBACs for two key reasons.. It's cheaper and they get you out the the door faster so their beds aren't tied up. Sounds harsh - but it's true. The cost of a few midwives and some medical towels compared to a team of surgeons, anaesthetics, nurses etc etc for a c section plus your recovery time - financially it makes more sense for them to encourage VBACs and natural birth in general.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi madewithlove! Yes it's a public hospital so hopefully I have a good chance!! I totally agree about them being pro vbac in theory, hopefully I get my shot. I really feel like I was robbed last time. It's been 2 years in april and I'm still depressed about it. Yes I'm grateful for my healthy baby but I feel like I was put in for a cs because the birth suites were all full and I had been in there "too long". Had they allowed me to move around instead of being confined to the bed I believe the outcome would have been much different. Fingers crossed this time!! Of course ultimately I will do whatever I have to for my baby to be botn safely!

Thanks
    Reviews
    When my waters broke I had slight mec staining so they put me on continuous monitoring. I had to stay on the bed 😯 All I wanted to do was move around. Being my first I just did what I was told, this time around I will be a lot more vocal. I feel a lot braver now!