+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default MRI - any advice for the day

Hi everyone

My baby is booked in for an MRI in April. He will be 10 months old. Any advice for the day? I'm really not sure what to expect

Xx

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    My DS has had 2 MRIs under GA. Will post about it later.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Take lots of things for distraction. We took the iPad to watch Peppa pig and favourite stories. Because of the age you will probably be first on the list.

They first gave DS a chocolate gas mask to put him to sleep before they administer the GA. The anaesthetists I've had were always so amazing!! Either DH or I have gone in with him for the gas, that bit is a bit hard to watch as he fell quite limp but the staff were very reassuring. After that we left for about an little while until we were called into recovery. He was a quite distressed after waking and clung to us as he woke. This took about half an hour. He vomitted as he was waking too. We took familiar food for him, banana, milk bottles, dummy, teddy, blanket, changes of clothes.

Make sure you have someone with you. All the best, I recently heard on the radio that the must important thing with medical procedures for children, is for the parents to remain calm.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thank you so much babyla. This is really useful. I read in the notes there is a fasting period how did your DS have to fast??

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by karennicole1 View Post
    Thank you so much babyla. This is really useful. I read in the notes there is a fasting period how did your DS have to fast??
    I think its no solids after 7am and then only liquids / water- clear apple juice up until 2 hours before he went in. That's the hardest part, lots of distractions. If you're at RCH in Melbourne they have the meerkat enclosure and the shark tank which helps.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by babyla View Post
    I think its no solids after 7am and then only liquids / water- clear apple juice up until 2 hours before he went in. That's the hardest part, lots of distractions. If you're at RCH in Melbourne they have the meerkat enclosure and the shark tank which helps.
    Thank you so much again!!! Yes I'm dreading having him fast😩
    I has to re-read that - a shark tank and meerkat enclosure!!! That's amazing! I wish they had that here in syd!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    My son had also had a number of MRIs under GA. Is your child breastfed? The general consensus is that breastmilk is classed as clear fluids, so that makes things a little easier.