+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default What bedding do I need for newborns?

Hi all, hope you can help, I'm so confused.

What bedding do I need for newborns? Do they need a blanket as well as a swaddle? Or will a swaddle be enough? Or should I get sleeping bags?

And how many of everything should I get?

I'm expecting twins in late July/early August so it will be cold.

Any advice would be gratefully received.

Thanks in advance.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I think all babies are different but we found our DS1 got on really well with sleeping bags rather than blankets or swaddle. I'm not sure how cold it gets here but back in UK I used a 2.5 tog bag in winter with either a baby grow or long sleeved vest and 0.5 tog in summer. We were advised to have the room temp at 18C which is actually quite chilly but I think it's best not to overheat babies. The growbag website has some recommendation for what layers to wear for diff temperatures which I found useful.

In terms of how many, I think 2 each is plenty as you can wear them for a couple days and wash them (prob more often when newborn as they reflux milk a bit).

Thanks
    Reviews
    Sleeping bags are good because there is no risk of suffocation. Swaddles can come loose and on the one occasion I used them with DS he quickly loosened them and I found them up over his face, never used them again after that. Blankets I used mostly for laying on the floor for playing time, or taking out and about for in the pram or when cuddling/breastfeeding.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Sleeping bags were a saviour with my August baby. I recommend trying a few different sorts. My son didn't like the ones where his hands were up, he loved a brand called Woomie.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I use blankets in the newborn phase with a swaddle as newborns don't move around that much (well mine didn't), I'm just about to change my 5month old to sleeping bags.
    How many you need probably depends on where you are/ how cold it will be/ if you will have heating in bub's room. I've got away with 2 blankets that I can double/ triple over, but that was over spring/summer in Brisbane, so warm weather.
    Cotton or Bamboo is best.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks guys - and yes, it would probably help if I mentioned where in Australia I am! .

I'm in Melbourne, it gets quite cold where we live (frosts in the morning in winter) but we will have an oil column heater in the room on low overnight if needed. We also have ducted heating - though that will be switched off before they go to bed as otherwise it gets roasting hot in the bedrooms.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Just be mindful with sleeping bags there is a minimum weight requirement- the newer grobags are 4kg minimum (the older ones were 3.2kg). Not sure about other brands.

If you have twins they are most likely to be smaller.... My dd was small and wasn't big enough for a sleeping bag until 4 months old.

Until then I swaddled her with bamboo muslin and dressed her in a bonds onesie with a singlet jumpsuit underneath. When she was finally big enough it was so much easier!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I had a few of these. Great swaddles that don't vine undone. Then I tucked a blanket over DD firmly. That's what I used until DD was about 8 months and started rolling (it took her a while) and then I used sleeping bags.
    Halo sleep sacks area great too because they can be velcro swaddled or arms out.
    http://www.summerinfant.com/nursery/...ddle-resources
    ETA you can buy warmer ones too.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    I used Love to Dream swaddles for bub and covered with a firmly tucked in blanket as needed. Bub loved the LTD swaddles as they were nice and firm and good for me as I didn't have to worry about wraps coming loose.

Bub has been in sleeping bags for only the last couple of weeks. Great at the size that he is now but I wouldn't have let comfortable with those when he was a newborn as they are quite a bit looser than swaddling.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Little Miss Sunshine View Post
    Just be mindful with sleeping bags there is a minimum weight requirement- the newer grobags are 4kg minimum (the older ones were 3.2kg). Not sure about other brands.

If you have twins they are most likely to be smaller.... My dd was small and wasn't big enough for a sleeping bag until 4 months old.

Until then I swaddled her with bamboo muslin and dressed her in a bonds onesie with a singlet jumpsuit underneath. When she was finally big enough it was so much easier!
    Good point to remember.

I swaddled with a cotton wrap, then used a flannelette sheet with a doubled cotton blanket. On colder nights I used two blankets.
    I had three small blankets, 5 homemade bassinette sheet sets and lots of wraps, upwards of 10 I would guess. But a lot of those we're hand me downs and I used them as pram covers etc etc.

We eventually used sleeping bags, I think maybe at 4/5months. I think 2 sleeping bags each is plenty.