+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by lilypily View Post
    I find putting a time limit ensures the negotiation starts much sooner...
    Did you end up buying that one? It's great if you did but in my experience it just depends on the owners and the other buyers - it's hard as no exact way will work for every owner!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    When we were buying our first house it was like a silent auction - homes were being bought first day on the market and stock was very low. Turned out that the other people we were "competing" against didn't have the finance anyway, but of course they didn't say anything until the end of the day.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by lilypily View Post
    I find putting a time limit ensures the negotiation starts much sooner...
    In our section of the market that we're trying to buy into the agent would just get annoyed at us if we did this and not bother with it, if we had plenty of money behind us though and were buying the more $800k-$1.3m homes then one might have more sway as they don't move as quickly around here.

My FIL held all the cards when they were buying their last property and that's the way he thinks it still is - he can't understand why we are taking so long to get into a home.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts

Default Buying house tips

Quote Originally Posted by Little Ted View Post
    When we were buying our first house it was like a silent auction - homes were being bought first day on the market and stock was very low. Turned out that the other people we were "competing" against didn't have the finance anyway, but of course they didn't say anything until the end of the day.
    This is why I much prefer auctions - at least you can see your competition and you know they are serious because you wouldn't bid if you didn't have the deposit and finance - we get sooooo many unqualified buyers making offers on properties and we qualify them by saying can you put that on a contract and at least half say oh no I don't have finance approved yet!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Elijahs Mum View Post
    This is why I much prefer auctions - at least you can see your competition and you know they are serious because you wouldn't bid if you didn't have the deposit and finance - we get sooooo many unqualified buyers making offers on properties and we qualify them by saying can you put that on a contract and at least half say oh no I don't have finance approved yet!
    If you buy at an auction can it still be pending building and pest inspections, are they supplied, or are you expected to get them done prior to auction?

I don't know why, but something scares me about an auction - I guess it is the possibility of the price going too far. Actually, I don't know if "scare" is the right term - probably also presume that the property will go so high that we shouldn't bother anyway.
    Last edited by Little Ted; 13-03-2015 at 08:44.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/4/15100 Posts in a week
    I prefer buying and selling as 'best offers by' type scenario.

I prefer to buy that way as you have time to think about what is the absolute max you are willing to pay and be prepared that you may not secure the property. This way too you don't get carried away with the emotion of an auction and accidentally pay too much.

I prefer to sell that way too if it's a popular suburb as you don't have to fart **** around with negotiations or stress of auction.
    @Little Ted, if buying at auction in SA you have to get a building and pest inspection prior to auction because at the fall of the hammer you're legally obliged to purchase the property so you can't get out of it. If you turn up issues in an inspection after you've bought it, you can't negotiate the price down, you need to do it before so you can make an informed decision when bidding on what the property is worth. It can get expensive if you're forever getting building inspections on property after property that you get outbid on.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to A-Squared For This Useful Post:

Little Ted  (13-03-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by A-Squared View Post
    I prefer buying and selling as 'best offers by' type scenario.

I prefer to buy that way as you have time to think about what is the absolute max you are willing to pay and be prepared that you may not secure the property. This way too you don't get carried away with the emotion of an auction and accidentally pay too much.

I prefer to sell that way too if it's a popular suburb as you don't have to fart **** around with negotiations or stress of auction.
    @Little Ted, if buying at auction in SA you have to get a building and pest inspection prior to auction because at the fall of the hammer you're legally obliged to purchase the property so you can't get out of it. If you turn up issues in an inspection after you've bought it, you can't negotiate the price down, you need to do it before so you can make an informed decision when bidding on what the property is worth. It can get expensive if you're forever getting building inspections on property after property that you get outbid on.
    Many owners here are pulling their homes off the market if they don't get the amount that they are after and put the house back on the market when stock gets low in their area of the market and it then usually sells well-above what they asked for originally. Which is great for them, but just means that if you are the only offer or the best offer, it still won't secure a property.

That would get expensive if you don't get the house in an auction - we really don't have the money to do that sort of thing for another year!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Yes all your pest and building has to be done prior , we suggest to our owners to get one done and then the cost is billed to the winning bidder so then every buyer does not have to pay for it unless you end up buying it

The problem in boom markets is that you do get owners who don't really need to sell and just put it on the market to see if they get a good price - we don't take these ones on unless I know I have buyers for it as it just wastes everyone's time and gets buyers hopes up - you will find statistically most owners who go to auction are more motivated to sell as they are usually paying more in marketing and fees

I don't do best offers over as I find you always get buyers who complain when you sell it to a higher offer that they would have paid more or they get cranky they missed out for $1000 - and I'm like well why did you tell me that you would pay more!

Littleted don't be scared of auctions - yes crazy markets can bring crazy prices but you can still buy homes for what you can afford as honestly until the day no one ( especially us!) has a clue how many buyers will turn up or if they will even bid!

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Elijahs Mum For This Useful Post:

Little Ted  (13-03-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/4/15100 Posts in a week
    Yes all your pest and building has to be done prior , we suggest to our owners to get one done and then the cost is billed to the winning bidder so then every buyer does not have to pay for it unless you end up buying it !
    I wouldn't imagine the eventual winner of the auction would be happy to pay 2 or more building inspections - the one they got themselves and the ones the 'losing' bidders got. What if they didn't get an inspection in the first place and there are no issues with the house, they're paying for an inspection they never wanted to start with?

I don't do best offers over as I find you always get buyers who complain when you sell it to a higher offer that they would have paid more or they get cranky they missed out for $1000 - and I'm like well why did you tell me that you would pay more!
    In SA most agents make you sign a form when submitting your offer that you declare that the offer you're putting in is absolutely your best and final offer. If buyers still complain after that, then that's their issue, it's not the agent or vendors faults.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by A-Squared View Post
    I wouldn't imagine the eventual winner of the auction would be happy to pay 2 or more building inspections - the one they got themselves and the ones the 'losing' bidders got. What if they didn't get an inspection in the first place and there are no issues with the house, they're paying for an inspection they never wanted to start with?

In SA most agents make you sign a form when submitting your offer that you declare that the offer you're putting in is absolutely your best and final offer. If buyers still complain after that, then that's their issue, it's not the agent or vendors faults.
    No I mean the owner gets 1 pest and building inspection and all buyers have access to it so don't need to get one - only the person that buys the house pays for it ( which they would have to do anyway if they got there own )

There is no such a thing as an offer form here - it's actually a good idea as even verbal offers ( which mean nothing ) have to be submitted here and buyers think they are doing the right thing by offering low and slowly going up but when I've got 10 plus buyers doing it on every home it just gets crazy, that's probably why I like auctions so the buyers can see the competition and bid to want they want and can't blame us if they miss out!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast