+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts

Default Buying house tips

You'll be an expert at the end of it all! I'll have to offer you a job! I always say to people thinking of selling to pretend you are a buyer and then you will find out how good the agents are by the way they treat you and follow you up

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Nah! Can't afford to live in Sydney!

Our kids are very honest about how they are over looking at homes and we only look at perhaps one a month! I do appreciate that they are really good when we go through a home which is lovely.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Elijahs Mum View Post
    You'll be an expert at the end of it all! I'll have to offer you a job! I always say to people thinking of selling to pretend you are a buyer and then you will find out how good the agents are by the way they treat you and follow you up
    We have come across some truly lovely agents that we are keeping in mind for our house when it comes time. The ones that keep on pushing us to sell, or those that over-price homes just to get the listing or are too lazy/rude to follow us up when we have a standing offer we are definitely not considering.

DH invited an agent over once who was very "green". He couldn't tell us his fees and was quite wishy-washy about what a package would include even though he worked for a larger franchise. We didn't consider him at all, then received an email a few months later from that real estate business to say that he was no longer in the industry. We weren't overly surprised.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I hope you find a place soon too little Ted!
    Im so so angry right now. So agent was meant to call today but no call. Im so over it I just feel like not selling or buying. Augh!!!!!

5. The Following User Says Thank You to slipper For This Useful Post:

Little Ted  (12-03-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by slipper View Post
    I have another question if I can...
    How long after putting an offer on a house will you know if its accepted? We put an offer in 2 days,ago. About 49 hours ago.. So thought we would know by now..
    When I make an offer I put a time on it. Em example " I'm offering 300k, not subject to finance, subject to building and pest. This offer is valid until close of business tomorrow at which point offer will be withdrawn." I never leave it open ended as they can use your bid to leaver another one.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    I would be careful putting such strict time limits on offers as some owners honestly do need time to think about it and may not even consider yours if you put pressure on them ( or take you seriously and assume it's your best offer so won't even negotiate with you)

My advice with offers is firstly ask if they want the offer in writing ( preferred) and ask the agent how long do you think it will take for the owners to give us an answer as we are holding off offering on another one - ask the agent for an update at least - " can you call me by 7pm even if you don't have an answer just so we know what's happening " - if they don't call by that time , call them - unfortunately when the market is strong a lot of not so very good agents just don't follow up their buyers so you have to just keep pushing them

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by slipper View Post
    I hope you find a place soon too little Ted!
    Im so so angry right now. So agent was meant to call today but no call. Im so over it I just feel like not selling or buying. Augh!!!!!
    Just remember to try and keep your cool with the RE Agent next time you talk with them - some may make your journey to a new home difficult if you're not careful.

We've always tried to be nice to all RE agents, but one took a low offer on an old-listed home as an insult and was quite rude to us. To this day, I have no idea what DH said to her that made her not even say to us "That is too low - the owners really need closer to X amount for a sale". Another agent tried to find out from us who it was that was rude to us and we refused to name and shame.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Elijahs Mum View Post
    I would be careful putting such strict time limits on offers as some owners honestly do need time to think about it and may not even consider yours if you put pressure on them ( or take you seriously and assume it's your best offer so won't even negotiate with you)

My advice with offers is firstly ask if they want the offer in writing ( preferred) and ask the agent how long do you think it will take for the owners to give us an answer as we are holding off offering on another one - ask the agent for an update at least - " can you call me by 7pm even if you don't have an answer just so we know what's happening " - if they don't call by that time , call them - unfortunately when the market is strong a lot of not so very good agents just don't follow up their buyers so you have to just keep pushing them
    The only agents that follow us up are the ones who want our house on their books - if only they were as keen to match us to a new home.

No open homes to look at so far for this weekend. Hoping that something comes up tomorrow. The house in not-as-good location came down $10k today. Our offer is $10k less than that.
    Last edited by Little Ted; 12-03-2015 at 22:09.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Default Buying house tips

I find putting a time limit ensures the negotiation starts much sooner...
    Last edited by lilypily; 13-03-2015 at 02:25.

Thanks
    Reviews
    When we bought our first home we offered 10k below asking as the house was an AMAZING price, well under value as they owners were divorcing and wanted a quick sale. They took a week to get back to us, finally the agent said there was another offer on the table and wanted to know if we wanted to change our current offer. We ended up saying we would pay asking price. We were lucky too because the second offer was only 2k under asking price!

So it's possible they are waiting to say yes/no depending on if they can get anymore offers in the mean time?

Good luck. Buying a house is super stressful!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast