+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default Would you confess? I broke something!!!!

So I dropped a jar of cheese spread and it left a tiny chip on MILs tile flooring (we are moving out in 3 weeks, they are away on holidays).
    THIS IS A BIG DEAL.
    An apology for what was an accident will not be sufficient to calm her

Long story short- she told me several times before we moved in DON'T DAMAGE A TILE. She believes there is no such thing as accidents if people are paying enough care and attention.

It's only tiny so it may take awhile to notice but she is anally retentive and will notice eventually. I know if I try to fix it it'll risk making it more obvious.

So should I fess up knowing my MIL will be super angry and possibly believe I did it to spite her.... (I do not get on well with her at the best of times)

Or let her discover it after we have moved out and I plead ignorance?

Or fill the tiny hole with porridge or cover it in dirt -lol- so it takes longer to notice?

I feel sick.

Eta: blaming dd is not an option either. It'll be my fault for not supervising appropriately and she'd never be allowed to carry anything or help in the kitchen again
    Last edited by Little Miss Sunshine; 20-02-2015 at 13:43.

Gothel is offline Skip the drama, stay with Mama!
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    If its only tiny and there's a good chance she won't notice, say nothing and plead ignorance. Definitely.

Tho i do like the porridge idea. Very clever. That stuff sets like concrete!

3. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Gothel For This Useful Post:

GrabbyCrabby  (13-03-2015),KitiK  (20-02-2015),MonsterMummy  (20-02-2015),Mrs Tickle  (21-02-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    If it was me I would just say nothing and forget about it till she says something. She may say nothing and just be heaps passive aggressive but act dumb like you don't know. If she says something just say you have no idea lol… I dunno I'm not scared of anyone I'm only scared I get out of control mad if people push me too far… Haha I mean I stopped my kids seeing my MIL for 6 months because they were trying to make me feel bad over something. I just am not the kind of person who takes getting bullied. Sounds like she's a bully just ignore or stand up to her.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I would try to have the tile professionally repaired or replaced. That way I wouldn't need to tell her as its not an issue anymore, I wouldn't be lying to her and I would have to deal with any over reaction.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Could you blame it on dp? Would she be so particular if she knew her son did it instead of you?
    I think I'd leave it- and act like you don't know what she's talking about if she mentions it. Hopefully she drops something there and she will think she's done it.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to CookingMonster For This Useful Post:

ourbradybunch  (20-02-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Penny88 View Post
    I would try to have the tile professionally repaired or replaced. That way I wouldn't need to tell her as its not an issue anymore, I wouldn't be lying to her and I would have to deal with any over reaction.

Haha or that yeah I mean you could just fix it… Yeah you can get stuff fixed I forgot that!

SuperGranny is offline Worlds best grandma! Winner 2012 - Most Helpful Member
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    any attempt to hide it will come unstuck im sure. is there any way to replace the tile?? or get some professional way to repair it that will hide it forever?? maybe a confession, and then avoid seeing her for the rest of the year?? or forever?? marie

10. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to SuperGranny For This Useful Post:

Amgine  (20-02-2015),FrothyFrog  (20-02-2015),littlelove  (20-02-2015),Trusty Chords  (20-02-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Usually i'd say fess up. But I couldn't stand the ongoing bleating with someone like her. In 10 years time she's likely to say 'well, we could have sold the house for another 25k if Little Miss Sunshine didn't chip that tile'. Bah. I'd keep it as my little secret.

12. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to BbBbBh For This Useful Post:

Apple iPhart6  (20-02-2015),BettyV  (20-02-2015),DarcyJ  (31-03-2015),FrothyFrog  (20-02-2015),GrabbyCrabby  (13-03-2015),HappyBovinexx  (20-02-2015),KitiK  (20-02-2015),littlelove  (20-02-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I can't believe she actually warned you not to break a tile! Such a strange thing to worry about.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I wouldn't say anything. It's a tiny chip and she sounds like a drama queen.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Lincolns mummy For This Useful Post:

KiWolf  (20-02-2015)