So, given there is only 24 days for me till c day, i have been thinking about all the bits and pieces/handy hints for c section recovery - to make my recovery easier and I'd like to share in case anyone else ends up with one Plus I need to remember some key things and get packing!
1. Make sure you are hydrated before surgery/birth (dehydration can slow a natural birth and make c sec recovery harder) ice chips are good and the hospital should provide these if you ask.
2. Bring some metamucil to hospital (the drugs can really clog you up)
3. Ask the midwives for parachoc if you forget, they always have it on hand.
4. Take a hot/cold pack as the warmth of a pack helps relieve c section pain
5. Support your wound when you cough, laugh, stand (i bought a c sec recovery belt this time, but a pillow, SRC recovery shorts or your hands work. You can also put a pad on the front of your knickers over your scar/wound if your pants are too low and are likely to rub.
6. Check what the hospital supplies (mine provides nappies, wipes, singlets and blankets - but many dont!)
7. Take maternity pads and breast pads - nothing worse than the ones the hospital provides...
8. Know your pain relief protocol (what the dr has written up for pain relief and how often and dont be afraid to ask for pain relief, it will make recovery easier and quicker)
9. As hard as it is, get up and moving as quickly as possible - this will aid your wound recovery and reduce the risk of clotting. The first time I got up was to shuffle to the shower - with help as you can get a bit dizzy.
10. Use the shower chair! It is really nice to be able to sit in unlimited warm water.
11. Pat dry your wound and use a hairdryer to dry it off properly, but be careful not to burn yourself as the feeling in that area might take a while to come back.
12. If you are on your own, buzz the nurses to hand you your baby and put them back because twisting and turning difficult and the last thing you want is to drop your baby.
13. Accept any help you are offered.
14. Take some cash (about $50 a few notes and coins) in case you or your partner get the munchies and you need $ for the canteen or vending machine - some places dont have eftpos...
Anyway, hope I havent dribbled too much and hope it helps anyone who might end up with a section.