+ Reply to Thread
Page 12 of 113 FirstFirst ... 210111213142262112 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    So, given there is only 24 days for me till c day, i have been thinking about all the bits and pieces/handy hints for c section recovery - to make my recovery easier and I'd like to share in case anyone else ends up with one Plus I need to remember some key things and get packing!

1. Make sure you are hydrated before surgery/birth (dehydration can slow a natural birth and make c sec recovery harder) ice chips are good and the hospital should provide these if you ask.
    2. Bring some metamucil to hospital (the drugs can really clog you up)
    3. Ask the midwives for parachoc if you forget, they always have it on hand.
    4. Take a hot/cold pack as the warmth of a pack helps relieve c section pain
    5. Support your wound when you cough, laugh, stand (i bought a c sec recovery belt this time, but a pillow, SRC recovery shorts or your hands work. You can also put a pad on the front of your knickers over your scar/wound if your pants are too low and are likely to rub.
    6. Check what the hospital supplies (mine provides nappies, wipes, singlets and blankets - but many dont!)
    7. Take maternity pads and breast pads - nothing worse than the ones the hospital provides...
    8. Know your pain relief protocol (what the dr has written up for pain relief and how often and dont be afraid to ask for pain relief, it will make recovery easier and quicker)
    9. As hard as it is, get up and moving as quickly as possible - this will aid your wound recovery and reduce the risk of clotting. The first time I got up was to shuffle to the shower - with help as you can get a bit dizzy.
    10. Use the shower chair! It is really nice to be able to sit in unlimited warm water.
    11. Pat dry your wound and use a hairdryer to dry it off properly, but be careful not to burn yourself as the feeling in that area might take a while to come back.
    12. If you are on your own, buzz the nurses to hand you your baby and put them back because twisting and turning difficult and the last thing you want is to drop your baby.
    13. Accept any help you are offered.
    14. Take some cash (about $50 a few notes and coins) in case you or your partner get the munchies and you need $ for the canteen or vending machine - some places dont have eftpos...

Anyway, hope I havent dribbled too much and hope it helps anyone who might end up with a section.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to KitiK For This Useful Post:

HavingitAll  (09-03-2015),ScubaGal  (08-03-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Does that make it the 1st April for you @KitiK? This is good to know, thank you, because my bub turned then turned back again so may be a possibility for c sect 8th April, otherwise I'll have the tape inserted at 6pm 8th... I've started packing my bag so I'll write this all on my list

4. The Following User Says Thank You to BabyOB For This Useful Post:

KitiK  (08-03-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Some TMI - don't read if squeamish

I am sure there is more @BabyOB, my mind is a bog so it helps me remember too! I say 24 days because my surgery is scheduled for 8am on 2/4 so technically only 24 days left...

I hope bub turns for you, but if not a planned c sec can be a nice calm experience.

Other things I forgot about is the spinal/epi. It can give you the shakes during the birthing procedure but it doesnt last. I got really cold so ask for a warm blanket. The spinal was scary, but really easy. I sat up, had a local in my back, once I was numb was given the spinal. My dh sat infront of me and we just counted to 10 slowly and it was done, i was then laid back and transfered to the op trolley (weird seeing people moving your legs without being able to feel anything - so dont look if you are a bit sqeamish like me!) They then usually tip the bed so your head is closer to the floor than your feet (gently) to disperse the anesthetic - they will then check for feeling with ice on your ribs before starting the procedure. It feels like someone is doing the washing up in your tummy - while there is no pain, you can feel your organs moving around! Our theatre staff took awesome photos of the baby coming out from the point just the head was out until placenta was delivered (so DH didnt faint and he could stay with me). Dont panic if you dont hear baby cry right away, it feels like a lifetime but really wouldnt be longer than 20 seconds from birth.

I prefer spinal over epi as the first time I used the PCA on the epi for pain relief and because they tape the catheter to your back you can feel the cold liquid being pumped into your back (yuck) so I prefer a spinal with pain meds (voltaren suppositories and endone)

they will usually hydrate you with fluid an hour of so before (through a drip) and you will have a catheter (they do after the spinal) until you are up and about.

Will write more that i remember if anyone is interested (otherwise happy to pm anyone so as to not clog up the thread!) I know its not the Kitik show!

6. The Following User Says Thank You to KitiK For This Useful Post:

HavingitAll  (09-03-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Oh and if you can - ask to be first or 2nd in the morning, because you have to fast. I was starving and had to eat in recovery and Ps: if you want to bf, keep baby on you chest close to breast as soon as you get to recovery - they can find their own way to the b00b pretty well! Also bubs tends to be quite tired/sleepy day one - usethat day to recover, and whenever they are awake hold skin to skin near the breast.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to KitiK For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    I'm happy for you to keep posting @KitiK. It's good to get some understanding of what can possibly happen. Thank you!

10. The Following User Says Thank You to BabyOB For This Useful Post:

KitiK  (08-03-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    My doc's operating day's are Tues/Wed so if I have a c sect, I'll be last as DH flies in at midday. I'll just sleep the day away I think

12. The Following User Says Thank You to BabyOB For This Useful Post:

KitiK  (08-03-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    If you can (and timing permits - have an early breakfast then sleep till he gets there - if you can! It is such a nerve wracking and exciting time!)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Oh I'll be stuffing my face all night long til I have to stop eating ;-) I have a very hungry baby on board. Lol

15. The Following User Says Thank You to BabyOB For This Useful Post:

KitiK  (08-03-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks @KitiK you're a wealth of knowledge! Keep posting tips I'm happy to read along I need all the tips I can get

I'm interested to speak to my OB in regards to my birth as to whether I will be going natural or csect as most women in my fam have needed a csect or emerg c/assisted birth due to large baby 9lb and baby with large head 38cm+. I'm hoping he will send me for a growth scan to see where this kid is sitting.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Bundle of joy For This Useful Post:

KitiK  (08-03-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    My first c sec was an emergency - I didnt know about bub hub back then so missed wasnt really prepared or had any idea of what to expect with a c sec (i was totally convinced I was going natural). 2nd time around having been through it was still different, although it was a necessary c sec (placenta previa) it was quite a lot less distressing! I am hopi g I breeze through this one, given its #3 (and the last!) It is funny how much you forget. Also the birth from 1st scalpel to baby takes about 5 minutes (i watched the clock 2nd time) and the next 15 - 20 mins aee spent stitching (which you dont notice because you are besotted with a new baby!) Then off to recovery for an hour or 2 before you are transfered to the ward x

19. The Following User Says Thank You to KitiK For This Useful Post: