+ Reply to Thread
Page 45 of 47 FirstFirst ... 354344454647 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Can you guys tell me what age you would let your kids watch? I haven't seen the movies, but we've been given them for the kids. But I'm not sure how dark and scary they may be? DS is 6, DD 4. Too young?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by deku View Post
    I can't remember if this has been posted before (these threads have been going for ages!) but this showed up on fb this morning and gave me a laugh

http://www.hollywood.com/movies/tk-t...ign=CMfacebook
    I love the one where Emma Watson breaks the prop.
    They remind me of their characters so much.
    Emma breaks the prop by accident and is mortified, Daniel comes in and saves the day and Rupert laughs. Hermoine, Harry and Ron down to a tee.

Thanks
    Reviews
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c_ubmjE21SY

This trailer remake gave me a tonne of giggles

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Californication View Post
    Can you guys tell me what age you would let your kids watch? I haven't seen the movies, but we've been given them for the kids. But I'm not sure how dark and scary they may be? DS is 6, DD 4. Too young?
    Absolutely! They are not kids movies at all.

I would be waiting until at least year 4 or 5.

If they can read and comprehend the first book, then I'd let them see the first movie - but they do get darker as the series goes on.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by alliecat89 View Post
    Absolutely! They are not kids movies at all.

I would be waiting until at least year 4 or 5.

If they can read and comprehend the first book, then I'd let them see the first movie - but they do get darker as the series goes on.
    Thanks. I knew they got darker, but wasn't sure how dark they started. Will give it a few more years then. Might ha e to watch them myself when school starts. I was early 20's when the first one came out, and thought they were for kids so never went to see them or read the books!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks. I knew they got darker, but wasn't sure how dark they started. Will give it a few more years then. Might ha e to watch them myself when school starts. I was early 20's when the first one came out, and thought they were for kids so never went to see them or read the books!
    The first 4 movies are PG, 5th is MA15+ and the 6th, 7th, 8th are all M.

I was lucky as I was 10 when the first movie came out so they got darker, I was getting older, so it worked out quite nicely to "grow up" with them.

I think the biggest battle would be if you were happy for them to let them watch the first couple, then explaining that they can't watch the rest.

But I'm also a big fan of starting with the books. They're such good books, it would be a shame to just watch the movies and not read the books at all.

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to alliecat89 For This Useful Post:

Californication  (19-01-2016),Tiny Dancer  (19-01-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    The first 4 movies are PG, 5th is MA15+ and the 6th, 7th, 8th are all M.

I was lucky as I was 10 when the first movie came out so they got darker, I was getting older, so it worked out quite nicely to "grow up" with them.

I think the biggest battle would be if you were happy for them to let them watch the first couple, then explaining that they can't watch the rest.

But I'm also a big fan of starting with the books. They're such good books, it would be a shame to just watch the movies and not read the books at all.
    There's 8?? I really have missed the phenomenon LOL!!

I think your suggestion of books first is a good one. I was a massive reader prior to kids (haven't had time since) and want to nurture my kids love of books too. I know my niece loved them and has read them all multiple times. She would have been about 10 too.

Thanks
    Reviews
    We've only got the first 6. I didn't think we got 8. Will have to find the other 2 😃

Thanks
    Reviews
    There's 8?? I really have missed the phenomenon LOL!!

I think your suggestion of books first is a good one. I was a massive reader prior to kids (haven't had time since) and want to nurture my kids love of books too. I know my niece loved them and has read them all multiple times. She would have been about 10 too.
    Yeps - 7 books and the 7th one was split into two movies.

They were such a world-wide phenomenon, they got so many kids into reading who ordinarily wouldn't have picked up a book.

I remember there being massive competitions at the school library as to who was going to get to borrow the new book first. The last book sold 11 million copies in the first 24 hours in just America alone, it was amazing.

I really hope that this generation of kids gets something similar as well.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to alliecat89 For This Useful Post:

Tiny Dancer  (19-01-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Yeps - 7 books and the 7th one was split into two movies.

They were such a world-wide phenomenon, they got so many kids into reading who ordinarily wouldn't have picked up a book.

I remember there being massive competitions at the school library as to who was going to get to borrow the new book first. The last book sold 11 million copies in the first 24 hours in just America alone, it was amazing.

I really hope that this generation of kids gets something similar as well.
    I hope so too. It really was an amazing thing to grow up with. It is responsible for getting so many kids reading. I think part of the reason it has been so successful is how detailed her knowledge of the magical world is.

I agree with alliecat; start with the books.