+ Reply to Thread
Page 43 of 47 FirstFirst ... 334142434445 ... LastLast
    Mod-Nomsie is offline Administrator
    Winner 2009/10/11/12/13 - Most helpful Moderator
    Winner 2011 - Naughtiest/Cheekiest Mod
    Winner - Quickest 'Thanker' on the Hub
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    200 Posts in a week100 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 15/1/15
    Quote Originally Posted by harvs View Post
    I don't understand why she had to explain it in the first place? One of the major themes of HP is redemption through love, and Snape is one of the major examples of that!
    Thank you! When I read the article I did wonder why most people wouldn't get it, but I figured that since I ended up quite liking Snape as a complicated character, that was why I liked it.
    But you have just explained the reasoning so much better!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by harvs View Post
    I don't understand why she had to explain it in the first place? One of the major themes of HP is redemption through love, and Snape is one of the major examples of that!
    I agree with this. I thought the reasons behind the name choice was pretty clear myself. I have a feeling though, that the reason so many are upset about it is because Harry named his son after someone who was incredibly nasty to him - an adult to a child no less. Some people just can't let that part be tempered by the rest.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by Fox in Sox View Post
    Anyone have a suggestion as to a good website where I can buy some Harry Potter merchandise for Christmas presents?

I've found a few but keep coming up against either "doesn't ship to Australia" or they do, but the postage cost makes it crazy-expensive.
    I bought my nephew a tshirt from a company called Spreadshirt that says in Harry Potter font "I solemnly swear that I'm up to no good"

I've seen time turner necklaces at the markets and through ads on Facebook...

Thanks
    Reviews
    Is there an etsy Christmas Market near you? I know our local markets have things like the deathly hallows symbols and the house signs as jewellery, cushions or wallets/handbags/purses/nappy bags with HP themed fabrics and that sort of thing. I would think the etsy markets would have similar surely.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Maybe try one of the Tshirt places like red bubble or threadless? My kids Gryffindor shirt is from one of those.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Not sure who you are shopping for but Jay Jays have a great harry potter line atm

http://m.jayjays.com.au/shop/m20/en/...s-harry-potter

Sent from my GT-P5110 using The Bub Hub mobile app

Thanks
    Reviews
    While I agree that Snape was a very complicated character, I get annoyed when people try to justify his awful treatment of not only Harry, but Neville as well. I understand why Harry named one of his sons after him, but there were so many other characters that died protecting him and the school, who treated him well from the beginning. Remus Lupin being one of them. The only time Snape showed any form of affection for Harry was in that minute before he died.

And don't even get me started on Neville. The only reason Snape was so horrible to him (more so than other students, except Harry), was because he COULD have been the chosen one. And poor Neville was terrified of him and could never understand why he was treated like that. Snape was abusive and while in the end he made the ultimate sacrifice, his mistakes shouldn't be justified by anyone.

On another note, I wonder if Snape had have been placed in Gryffindor, if things would have been different for him. He was definitely not like the other Slytherins in that he actually died for the greater good and he was incredibly brave. Even at the Battle of Hogwarts, none of the Slytherin students stayed to fight, which is understandable, but a pretty dominant quality of the house (looking out only for yourself). Snape was different in that respect, but then again, it took Lily's death to change him, and even then, not enough to be a kinder person.

I just think other characters probably deserved Harry's recognition more. I understand the whole redemption theme going on, but I think that was powerful enough with Snape's death and Harry finally learning the truth after 7 years.

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to hopeful1986 For This Useful Post:

Mod-Nomsie  (04-12-2015),Tiny Dancer  (30-12-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    So, I've been thinking... is there an age where a HP themed birthday party is no longer appropriate?

AdornedWithCats is offline Winner 2013 - Spirit of BubHub Award
    Winner 2014 - Best Username

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 12/6/15Funniest Caption400 Posts in a week300 posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by Tiny Dancer View Post
    So, I've been thinking... is there an age where a HP themed birthday party is no longer appropriate?
    Um...maybe...120? Lol. I guess it depends on the likelihood of your guests getting on board, if it's a costume party as well.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to AdornedWithCats For This Useful Post:

Tiny Dancer  (30-12-2015)

Mod-Nomsie is offline Administrator
    Winner 2009/10/11/12/13 - Most helpful Moderator
    Winner 2011 - Naughtiest/Cheekiest Mod
    Winner - Quickest 'Thanker' on the Hub
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    200 Posts in a week100 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 15/1/15
    Um. No. Even Nearly Headless Nick was still throwing (albeit terrible) parties 500 years after he died.

So. No.

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mod-Nomsie For This Useful Post:

AdornedWithCats  (30-12-2015),Tiny Dancer  (30-12-2015)