+ Reply to Thread
Page 17 of 47 FirstFirst ... 7151617181927 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I thought JK was gearing up for Ron/Luna, myself. Luna seemed to have a bit of a thing for Ron, then Ron came out with a line somewhere along the lines of showing a fondness of sorts towards her (can't remember exactly, might've been in HBP). Luna would've fit in well with the Weasleys too, lol. And I totally thought that Ginny would be with Neville in the end. He went out of his way to protect/defend her on more than one occasion, and she tried to boost his confidence. It would have been very sweet, and a nice bit of character development for Ginny (something she was very sorely lacking), in that as a kid she pined for the famous Harry Potter for superficial reasons, but goes on to realise fame/talent/popularity aren't the qualities she should be looking for in a guy, and that the sweet, bumbling dude who trod on her toes at the Yule Ball might be just who she is really looking for. <3

But no, she had to retain the Mary-Sue persona that was rammed down our throats from OotP onwards.... sigh!

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sariele For This Useful Post:

Apple iPhart6  (14-03-2015),FrothyFrog  (14-03-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    500 Posts in a week
    400 Posts in a week300 posts in a week200 Posts in a week100 Posts in a weekFunniest Caption
    @Sariele every time you post I love you a little bit more! Everything you said was perfect!

4. The Following User Says Thank You to FrothyFrog For This Useful Post:

Sariele  (15-03-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    1000 posts in a week500 Posts in a week
    750 Posts in a week400 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 12/2/15Busiest Member of the Week300 posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by Sariele View Post
    I thought JK was gearing up for Ron/Luna, myself. Luna seemed to have a bit of a thing for Ron, then Ron came out with a line somewhere along the lines of showing a fondness of sorts towards her (can't remember exactly, might've been in HBP). Luna would've fit in well with the Weasleys too, lol. And I totally thought that Ginny would be with Neville in the end. He went out of his way to protect/defend her on more than one occasion, and she tried to boost his confidence. It would have been very sweet, and a nice bit of character development for Ginny (something she was very sorely lacking), in that as a kid she pined for the famous Harry Potter for superficial reasons, but goes on to realise fame/talent/popularity aren't the qualities she should be looking for in a guy, and that the sweet, bumbling dude who trod on her toes at the Yule Ball might be just who she is really looking for. <3

But no, she had to retain the Mary-Sue persona that was rammed down our throats from OotP onwards.... sigh!
    STAHP IT!!! You're ruining all the canon for me with you sensible assessments of the characters!

I was thinking the other day that Ginny was a total Mary-Sue. I guess there had to be a reason that Harry completely ignored the brilliant witch that was his best friend for the girl that first loved him BECAUSE he was Harry Potter.

It's kind of like Natalie Hanson. She married Taylor Hanson but she started off as a fan of the band and would follow them around on tour with her best friend, Kate...who married Zac. Living the dream!

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Apple iPhart6 For This Useful Post:

Sariele  (15-03-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    What does canon mean, I only know it as a camera brand I'm confused :-/

harvs is offline Winner 2014 - Spirit of BubHub Award
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/4/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 2/4/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 19/3/15Busiest Member of the Week200 Posts in a week
    Afaik it just refers to the part of the fictional universe that was imagined and created by the author rather than the fanfic additions or speculation that doesn't come from JK's mouth.

That's what it meant before I got old anyway. But that was before 'ship' was a verb :-p

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to harvs For This Useful Post:

Apple iPhart6  (15-03-2015),Mod-Nomsie  (14-03-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by harvs View Post
    Afaik it just refers to the part of the fictional universe that was imagined and created by the author rather than the fanfic additions or speculation that doesn't come from JK's mouth.

That's what it meant before I got old anyway. But that was before 'ship' was a verb :-p
    Ah thanks that makes sense

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    1000 posts in a week500 Posts in a week
    750 Posts in a week400 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 12/2/15Busiest Member of the Week300 posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by harvs View Post

Pfffft, you're not that old! Yup, that's exactly right. Everything is fair game until the author declares something to be true so like if someone said that Dumbledore and McGonagall were knocking boots that's all good but then JK said that Dumbledore was gay so now that's canon and any Dumblegall (is this even a ship?) fans would be all "boo, so that wasn't a thing!". You can still ship it if you like but deep down you know you're wrong!

Thanks
    Reviews
    @FrothyFrog - Oh yay! I always feel like such an outcast in terms of my 'shipping views. Nice to find a kindred spirit! :Highfive:

Quote Originally Posted by Apple iPhart6 View Post
    STAHP IT!!! You're ruining all the canon for me with you sensible assessments of the characters!
    My pleasure.

Related tangent warning: I was just thinking about the popular pre-DH H/Hr theory in which Cho and Ginny both served a purpose in the progression of Harry's emotional maturity re: relationships before he ultimately hooked up with Hermione. Cho was his rather meaningless high-school crush that never really went anywhere. That whole sub-plot taught Harry that a potential girlfriend needed to have more than a pretty face and a mutual interest in Quidditch. It also got that whole awkward first kiss/date/interest in a girl thing out of the way. Then he moved onto Ginny, who was, in the opinion of us "crazy" H/Hrs, his stereotypical high-school relationship, which was based predominantly on sexual attraction, and to a lesser extent, the fact they had similar interests (erm, well, Quidditch) and some shared experiences. Ginny was a bit of escapism for Harry during a turbulent time.. he even tells her that the time they had together was like being in someone else's life. But aside from Harry's jealousy and all that pants-- I mean, chest-monster nonsense, the bulk of their "relationship" happened off-page, meaning that there was nothing there to really get the reader emotionally invested. Then they very neatly break up at the end of HBP, no fighting, no baggage, and paving the way for Harry to recognise the one person who was there for him, always, placing him above all others including the guy she's supposedly in love with, from day dot until the bitter end, and because of the experience he's gained through Cho and Ginny, he has a newfound capacity to form a meaningful, more mature, and lasting connection with Hermione. When Ron walked out on Harry and Hermione in DH, the still-naively-hopeful part of me was shrieking, "Yes, yes, YES! This is where the kindling will be lit!" But Hermione cried and moped and it was all very morose, and that was where my final glimmer of hope for canon H/Hr died. But Steve Kloves and David Yates gave us that beautiful dance scene in DH, which was a lovely (if bittersweet) consolation prize that I was very grateful for.

I was thinking the other day that Ginny was a total Mary-Sue.
    Indeed. I was once reading a lengthy definition of what makes a Mary-Sue, and I remember thinking, "omg, Ginny ticks every single one of these.."

It's kind of like Natalie Hanson. She married Taylor Hanson but she started off as a fan of the band and would follow them around on tour with her best friend, Kate...who married Zac. Living the dream!
    *snort*

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sariele For This Useful Post:

Apple iPhart6  (15-03-2015),FrothyFrog  (15-03-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    500 Posts in a week
    400 Posts in a week300 posts in a week200 Posts in a week100 Posts in a weekFunniest Caption
    I've never heard the term Mary-Sue what does it mean?

15. The Following User Says Thank You to FrothyFrog For This Useful Post:

Jensha  (15-03-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Mary+Sue

Here's the first definition I found on google, but there are plenty of others.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Sariele For This Useful Post:

FrothyFrog  (15-03-2015)