+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Just on the flat head topic, while a lot of Dr's may say not to worry about it certain cases such as my children who seem to be prone to torticollis due to womb positioning, it doesn't always 'sort itself out' as you mentioned hollygolightly81. We had to have very regular physio and exercises and use a positioner but only with also using a safe t sleep. If you have a good gp and notice baby not turning head as it should this should get picked up though and you cqn get referred to physio. Im sure its not c9mmon though so you wouldnt need a positioner before you have had bub. Very bad if the store won't take it back, maybe have a look at the consumer standards or kwhatever they are as surely they have to take it back if it's unopened and you have receipt? even for credit.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Rhilu For This Useful Post:

darla87  (20-02-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Nope, unfortunately stores have no obligation to take goods back because someone has changed their mind, even with a receipt and still in packet, etc.

See http://www.consumerlaw.gov.au/conten...g_20120111.PDF

"A store doesn’t have to allow you to return an item you have
    simply changed your mind about. However, some stores have
    their own in-store policy to offer a refund, exchange or credit
    note for ‘change-of-mind’ purchases."

You never know, they may do it for you, even though they're not obliged to. Good luck!

4. The Following User Says Thank You to JustJaq For This Useful Post:

BettyW  (20-02-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks I'll have a go. I need to buy more expensive items (eg pram), so if I tell them I might be spending that much in their store they might exchange it for me.

Busy-Bee is offline Offending people since before Del :D
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Past Moderator - Thank you
    Ah, sorry, I thought you meant a helmet to assist a baby who has a flat spot, not a sleep item that is supposed to prevent it.

I wouldn't use one. Flat heads can be avoided/minimised by encouraging baby to move their head from side to side and regular tummy time to strengthen neck muscles. If they do favour one side then that can be an issue but vigilant counter-positioning when they are asleep and gentle physio exercises can correct this.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Nope & being a ftm & hubby agreed straight away & didn't tell the price went ahead & bought it. It was $40. I could of bought a mobile or even a bath for that price.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Didn't tell me**

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Hey, I know it's hard not to stress with your first, but try not to. Return the pillow for store credit. Just state that they are not sids approved.

My son was born with torticollis. We did lots of physio. Flat heads do not sort themselves out. They do appear smaller as the head gets bigger and hair covering helps. Lots of adults have a flat spot, not so many tummy sleeping 80s babies!

Even though my son was at risk of a flat spot he didn't get one. I moved his head for sleeps. Alternating between sides and middle, lots of tummy time and I wore him a lot during the day. No pressure on his head at all that way!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week

Default Flat head syndrome.

My son has a flat head. I've spoken to multiple drs about it as of course I'm self conscious of it. It's not a flat spot, the whole back of his head is flat as when he was tiny he slept flat on his back looking straight up, we couldn't turn him as he was a light sleeper but it also didn't work, it's the whole back of his head so he'd just go back to that position, only sleeping him on his side would have helped which I didn't do as I was scared of SIDS.

It probably won't go 100% 'round' in the back but it will remold to a different shape as his head grows and because he's not sleeping on it anymore. Yes, there may be rare conditions where this doesn't happen, but studies have shown that cases of 'normal' flat spots (that aren't related to a condition or disfiguring the face) will eventually remold, without the use of a helmet.

Yes be aware, but let's also not make people scared that their baby's head is permanently flat or that they should invest in things not actually advised for safe sleeping, unless a dr advises later on.

My husband has a 'flat' head. Not totally flat but not super round either. You can't tell because of his hair and he's still good looking regardless . Genetics plays a huge part in flat spots and how severe they are.

I'll find the study I'm speaking of.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    I just googled torticollis as I was curious about it. I was unsure of the name but my son did have it due to a ventouse deliver. He always slept to one side his first 2 weeks, couldn't breastfeed on one side and only ever wanted to be propped up on our shoulder. We saw a cranio osteopath who fixed it which is why he started sleeping facing completely straight up .

The research that a flat head will still sort itself out as it grows and they start sleeping on side and tummy when older still applies to torticollis.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I just thought I'd jump in and say I did use one of those 'pillows' and I will again for the next bub. For those who haven't seen them they're firmer than a cot mattress and only about 2cm high so I personally wasn't worried about increasing DS's SIDS risk by using it. They don't actually alter the head's position in sleep either - just have a shallow indent/ hole to cradle the back of the head. When DS was 3 or 4 months old he started being able to wiggle off it so I stopped using it.