+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Default Breastfeeding after c-section

I'm 17 weeks and recently started thinking about this, my last birthing and feeding experiences were both hugely traumatic.

I had an emergency csection and feeding was excruciating with my milk barely there. I pumped and Comp fed for about a month to the detriment of my mental health.

Is there anything I can do to begin preparing? I'm going to give bf a real crack but I'm not going to get so hung up about it that it impacts my newborn experience.

All tips welcome

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    No tips really, but just wanted to share, I had c-section with all 3 of my babies, milk took a long time to come in for the first baby (5 days) but with the next 2 I seemed to have enough milk to totally make them content from the start.
    My bf'ing experiences have been so different for all 3, so if you had a bad time first time around may not mean that it won't be smooth sailing this time. Good Luck xx.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to LittleBug'sMum For This Useful Post:

babyla  (19-02-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Hopefully this time will be easier for you. I had an emergency csection and my milk came in on day 3. I think you can start expressing colostrum from 37 weeks or so (they don't suggest earlier as nipple stimulation can trigger labour). Maybe make up a batch of boo.by biscuits near the end of your pregnancy so you have them ready to go? X

5. The Following User Says Thank You to LaDiDah For This Useful Post:

babyla  (19-02-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Thanks! I will check out those bickies!

I'm determined to be super prepared either way this time. Last time I had no idea at all. Very naive!

Thanks
    Reviews
    I delivered my first two bubs va.ginally but my milk never came in so I couldnt breastfeed. My third bub was born by emergency c-sect and I have successfully breastfed her for the past year. Because of my earlier failures, I met with a lactation consultant at about 32wks and spoke to her about my past issues. She advised me to begin hand expressing colostrum at 37wks and begin eating lactation cookies early too. After the birth, my milk was slow to come in, but I was able to feed bub with the frozen colostrum for the first couple of days as well as had her on the boob All. The. Time.
    It all really helped me to succeed this time.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I was going to recommend the same thing, lactation consultants are more than happy to meet women antenatally, especially if you've had trouble the first time around. They then like to follow up postnatally which is an added bonus and extended BF support. Good luck.

Thanks
    Reviews
    This was me except planned c-section not emergency... I did a lot of work to BF this time round and I am up to nearly 5 months I feeding DD...I saw a LC antenatally who helped me write a BFing plan, for hospital, I also saw a lactation doctor (if in Perth I can recommend) who recommended I see a psychologist to talk thru my anxiety due to my first experience... So glad I went to the effort, the breastfeeding plan helped in hospital as it spelt out my wishes to the staff without me having to say anything, I had skin to skin straight after the birth & fed DD in recovery all the way to my room, such a different experience to DS who was sent to my room with my DH while I was stitched & sent to recovery... I don't think any of this would have happened if my wishes weren't written down & made very clear to everyone involved.

The other thing that helped was having a support network to go to when problems arose, I could text/ring my LC whenever I needed & also saw the doctor at one point as the latch was correct but I was still getting pain, turned out I had an infection... So I had battles this time but the main thing was I knew where to go when issues arose so it eased my anxiety very quickly.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by AmyEL View Post
    This was me except planned c-section not emergency... I did a lot of work to BF this time round and I am up to nearly 5 months I feeding DD...I saw a LC antenatally who helped me write a BFing plan, for hospital, I also saw a lactation doctor (if in Perth I can recommend) who recommended I see a psychologist to talk thru my anxiety due to my first experience... So glad I went to the effort, the breastfeeding plan helped in hospital as it spelt out my wishes to the staff without me having to say anything, I had skin to skin straight after the birth & fed DD in recovery all the way to my room, such a different experience to DS who was sent to my room with my DH while I was stitched & sent to recovery... I don't think any of this would have happened if my wishes weren't written down & made very clear to everyone involved.

The other thing that helped was having a support network to go to when problems arose, I could text/ring my LC whenever I needed & also saw the doctor at one point as the latch was correct but I was still getting pain, turned out I had an infection... So I had battles this time but the main thing was I knew where to go when issues arose so it eased my anxiety very quickly.
    Also I made lactation cookies & took them to hospital & pumped a couple of times to help my supply, my milk came in on day 6 with #1, doing all that it came in on day 3 for #2.