+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Wetting the bed..... HELP!!!!

Toilet training has been a nightmare with my 4.5 year old. We have had nothing but issues from the beginning and its been a long..... I mean loooooooonnng process. This time last year she was pooing her pants daily and still in night time nappies. We have definitely come a long way... we never have accidents these days but overnight is a different issue.

All my friends with children the same age said they just became dry overnight in their own time and to wait til dds night nappy was dry then stop using it. But hers would be soaking every morning. I decided just to bite the bullet and take them away late last year. I bought matteress protectors and extra sheets and would take her to wee before bed, again when I went to bed, then probably another 2 times through the night. She was still having accidents. Last month she began doing really well. I didnt have to wake up during the night to take her and we were have 3-4 nights in a row dry. Now all of sudden we are back to the beginning. The last 3 nights we have had 2 accidents a night!?! I'm going insane. I'm contantly washing bedding, I'm tired and physically its hard work ( I have to carry her to the toilet as shes a very deep sleeper and she is extremly heavy for her age)

I don't know what to do I limit her water before bed ( which is hard because she is always thirsty and will beg and cry for water and I don't like denying her). Do you think there is something wrong? I don't understand how she can wee so much?

Sorry its so long and thanks if you made it this far, any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Sent from my SM-G900I using The Bub Hub mobile app

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Subbing

SuperGranny is offline Worlds best grandma! Winner 2012 - Most Helpful Member
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I would think this is outside the normal range. most children would be able to hold the bladder for 12 hours by this age.?? correct me if I am wrong, but I would suggest a visit to the gp to see if there could be some clinical condition. ?? just to be sure, and if all is good, perhaps some suggestions from a physiotherapy? or such like?? im thinking of increasing the water intake through the day to see how long she can hold the bladder. ?? marie.

Thanks
    Reviews
    There is nothing wrong. Lots of kids wet their bed until they are a lot older. I don't think there is much a doctor does for kids who bedwet until they are over 6 or 7. My daughter was 4 in October and she's only just very recently started sleeping without a night nappy (think it's been about a month) we've tried several times before and she just constantly wet and I thought it would never happen. She has been doing well this time. She will still have accidents maybe 3 times a week but we can go almost 2 weeks without an accident then she'll wet 2 nights in a row. Think they just get there in their own time. Sorry I'm not much help

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Rodeobull For This Useful Post:

Amgine  (19-02-2015),Maia  (19-02-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Our 4 yr old wears nappy pants at night still and wakes quite wet. 100% fine during the day in knickers. Ive also heard wait till they start waking dry. Starting to wonder if this will ever happen :/

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    My DD's have been heavy wetters too.
    DD1 day toilet trained at 2 but not night TT till after 4. I didnt take her night nappies away i made a sticker chart and took her to the toilet at around 10 & 2 each night and DH would take her when he got up at 5.30.
    Took a few months of doing this to get consistently dry nappies so then we swapped to knickers for bed.
    A few months later we noticed she had started taking herself to the toilet so we eased back on taking her and that was it. All up our efforts took about 6mths.

DD2 is 4 and we're going to start doing the same routine with her.

My opinion is its worth doing it slowly so they adjust

Thanks
    Reviews
    It is completely normal not to be dry until 6 or 7. Its not something you can teach, its a response her body needs to learn by herself.
    Limiting drinks is not encouraged because she needs to learn to wake due to a full bladder.
    I would go back to the pull ups.

* my 4 year old is still in pull ups at night, 100% fine during the day
    Last edited by Lincolns mummy; 19-02-2015 at 12:46.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Lincolns mummy For This Useful Post:

Maia  (19-02-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    My DD was also toilet trained at 2 but still needed a pull up overnight until she was 6. The GP wasn't concerned and she just stopped in her own time.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I'll just put it out there I stopped wetting the bed at 9 or 10 I think sometimes I'd wet the bed 3 times in in one night there's nothing ever wrong with me It just took me ages to learn to hold my bladder!

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Clyon For This Useful Post:

debsch  (19-02-2015),Maia  (19-02-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    DS went through a stage of being completely dry every night but has now started waking wet every other night. There is no way to stop him doing it unless I wake him in the middle of the night and make him pee (which I think doesn't teach them to hold anyway so what is the point).

Sometimes I get a tad frustrated but its not like he is doing it on purpose.

I bought 2 of those Loraine Lea Linen bed mats so that most times I just have to wash that and his clothes instead of his whole bedding. Sometimes he accidentally pushes it down and misses the mat.

Im not going to waste my energy worrying about it. DH's nephew is 12 and still has trouble wetting the bed also.