Closed Thread
Page 4 of 101 FirstFirst ... 234561454 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Butterfly... good luck with transfer tomorrow.

Thinking of everyone in the cyclone and storms. Looks dreadful on the TV.

AFM....unfortunately the "high risk" message left on my phone yesterday was true. Have seen my ob today, and yes, devastated with the results of my 12 week NT results:
    - the NT is fine at 1.7mm (normal seems to be below 3.5mm)
    - foetal nasal bones are seen, so that's fine
    - but based on my age (42) my risk for Down's is 1:42
    - but free beta HCG is 4.900 Mom (much higher than normal - normal is 1, but abnormal is above 2.5) which is obviously why my adjusted risk comes back as 1:20
    - PAPP-A seems fairly normal at 0.930 Mom (1 is normal, but abnormal is under 0.4)

1:20 is quite devastating, though I guess we always knew that my age of my old eggs were going to be a problem. Ob hadn't received the Harmony BT back from the US yet, so will wait for that, but it seems that an amnio will be on the cards. Ob wants it done at 16 weeks, so still 3 weeks away.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MGC Bertie For This Useful Post:

Butterfly39  (20-02-2015),Summer  (20-02-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Bertie that's some heavy info to deal with. NT and nasal bones are good though. Those risk calculations are notorious for being wrong. I don't want to be falsely positive but I would be really focusing on those two known facts rather than the unknown. So they are talking about downs risk. The harmony test will give you solid answers on other aneuploidies as well. Not many of the other trisomies are compatible with life so getting to 12 weeks is a good milestone.

4. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Skyler For This Useful Post:

BlondeinBrisvegas  (20-02-2015),Butterfly39  (20-02-2015),MGC Bertie  (20-02-2015),Summer  (20-02-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    @MGC Bertie - I know I'm not a doctor, but that doesn't look so bad at all to me - you have to remember that doctors always look at the worst case scenario and they can sometimes be too into their numbers and forget they are dealing with a real person.

So from what you've said above, the only result that is a bit out is the free beta HCG. That is the only one that is showing out of range and from what I've read it's not ridiculously high. The way they calculate the age related risk is pretty irrelevant - you know that is going to tip the numbers big time, so if it was me I'd personally ignore that one - it's a number risk, not a real risk - if that makes sense.

So everything looks really good except for that one result. I know it's difficult, but the Harmony test is going to give you a definite answer. It's very, very accurate, so I wouldn't lose heart. Don't even think about an amnio until the Harmony results are in - I can't believe your doctor would be talking about that now before getting the Harmony back - very pre-emptive.

I hope you can look at it a bit differently and see how many really good results are there. Of course anyone over 40 is high-risk and the numbers are going to look like crap, that's a given - but I would wait for more evidence before believing there is a problem.

Chin up superwoman - don't give up yet

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Summer For This Useful Post:

BlondeinBrisvegas  (20-02-2015),MGC Bertie  (20-02-2015),Skyler  (20-02-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Leisylou... thanks so much. We all know that all of us know more than the doctors do anyhow, so I really appreciate all your info and advice.

When I asked my ob today what the accuracy of these results are he said that the "NT US + BT" is about 60-65% accurate, and when coupled with the Harmony test it brings it up to about 80%, so he was indicating really not awfully accurate. Maybe I need to do a bit more googling about the Harmony test.

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MGC Bertie For This Useful Post:

BlondeinBrisvegas  (22-02-2015),Summer  (20-02-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by MGC Bertie View Post
    Leisylou... thanks so much. We all know that all of us know more than the doctors do anyhow, so I really appreciate all your info and advice.

When I asked my ob today what the accuracy of these results are he said that the "NT US + BT" is about 60-65% accurate, and when coupled with the Harmony test it brings it up to about 80%, so he was indicating really not awfully accurate. Maybe I need to do a bit more googling about the Harmony test.
    That's interesting because I have all the stats here and the Harmony is listed as 99% accurate... Geez I hope that is correct because if I end up ever getting past ten weeks I'll be heavily relying on it.

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Summer For This Useful Post:

BlondeinBrisvegas  (22-02-2015),MGC Bertie  (20-02-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Leisylou View Post
    That's interesting because I have all the stats here and the Harmony is listed as 99% accurate... Geez I hope that is correct because if I end up ever getting past ten weeks I'll be heavily relying on it.
    Agree Leisylou, if my harmony results came back really good I would not get an amino as that carries some risk of miscarriage whereas harmony is totally non invasive. Bertie we don't have to do what our doctors want. And agree with Leisylou, they give worst case scenario because they have to. I'm not a Dr of humans either but am an animal doctor! So I have to dish out the bad news every day. It's all about informed consent. Obgyns are the most sued type of doctor hence they are super careful to give the dooms day scenario all the time.

12. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Skyler For This Useful Post:

BlondeinBrisvegas  (22-02-2015),MGC Bertie  (20-02-2015),Summer  (20-02-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Leisylou... thanks for that. Some simple googling led me to Harmony's US website, and it says 99% accuracy too. Wish I'd known that before I went to the ob today. Think I'll do a bit more research now about that "free beat HCG" which is abnormally high and see what else I can find out about that. Only good news of the day is that I can now reduce progesterone pessaries to 1 x daily from now, and stop in two weeks time.

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MGC Bertie For This Useful Post:

BlondeinBrisvegas  (22-02-2015),Summer  (20-02-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by MGC Bertie View Post
    Leisylou... thanks for that. Some simple googling led me to Harmony's US website, and it says 99% accuracy too. Wish I'd known that before I went to the ob today. Think I'll do a bit more research now about that "free beat HCG" which is abnormally high and see what else I can find out about that. Only good news of the day is that I can now reduce progesterone pessaries to 1 x daily from now, and stop in two weeks time.
    i see these funny results come back as normal babies all the time.

16. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Butterfly39 For This Useful Post:

BlondeinBrisvegas  (22-02-2015),MGC Bertie  (20-02-2015),Skyler  (20-02-2015),Summer  (20-02-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Good luck with transfer tomorrow Butterfly and I hope your DH is safe!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Good luck @Butterfly39 🍀🍀🍀

Sent from my iPad using The Bub Hub mobile app