Closed Thread
Page 38 of 101 FirstFirst ... 2836373839404888 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by emski72 View Post
    Thank you for that info as I think it helps a lot if people to know to make informed decisions. I looked at using the world egg bank through Monash and that was approx 23k all up. It's so prohibitive here!
    SA was about 9k for cycle/donor meds plus flights accommodation - FET rates are $750 aud plus flights accommodation.
    Wishing you well whatever you choose Bongley.
    I have my FS appointment tomorrow to organise my medications for my SA trip - feels good to get the ball rolling. My period still hasn't returned so I'm hoping we can jump start it with provera (although I've been feeling so periody for a week now). Anyone used it before?
    Em x
    Yeah, I wouldn't be going through the clinic (I would have diddly squats chance of being selected as I have a child) or the egg bank which seems like a big waste of money. I will try to advertise to find a donor which I believe should end up the same cost as a normal cycle. (unless anyone knows any different?)
    If that doesn't work/takes too long then I will probably choose a clinic in Prague. It might be more expensive than SA but I can visit my folks and kill two birds with one stone. From what I've read they speak english and it all sounds very kosher.

Anyhoo, yes I've used provera a few times, I take it for 7 days and then stop and my period usually shows up by the 3rd day.

Thanks
    Reviews
    @emski72 do you have to have a FS here? How much do you pay them to monitor you? Drugs etc?

I think if we need to go donor it will probably be sa.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Bongley View Post
    Yeah, I wouldn't be going through the clinic (I would have diddly squats chance of being selected as I have a child) or the egg bank which seems like a big waste of money. I will try to advertise to find a donor which I believe should end up the same cost as a normal cycle. (unless anyone knows any different?)
    If that doesn't work/takes too long then I will probably choose a clinic in Prague. It might be more expensive than SA but I can visit my folks and kill two birds with one stone. From what I've read they speak english and it all sounds very kosher.

Anyhoo, yes I've used provera a few times, I take it for 7 days and then stop and my period usually shows up by the 3rd day.
    Almost the same cost - they won't have quite as big a medicare rebate as they probably won't yet be over the medicare threshold, and if you have to go to private hospital for EPU that is not covered by private health insurance.
    Plus I had to pay for the EPU as well as a full price FET for me.
    Last edited by JulieMalooley; 16-03-2015 at 14:49.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to JulieMalooley For This Useful Post:

Bongley  (16-03-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    200 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 27/8/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 15/5/15Busiest Member of the Week100 Posts in a week

Default IVF over 40 #12

Hi chiefsgirl - no cost the last time she consulted for me (I'm hoping that hasn't changed) I'd done 2 full ivf cycles with her before going down the donor egg route. I know some charge $700-1k which is a bit outrageous for scripts, scan & BT referrals as that's all they do. If you need recommendations let us know.
    You can just try your GP although some have been roadblocked there as they can't prescribe Lupron etc. Although mine could prescribe Synarel as it's used for things other than fertility.
    You basically need scripts for ovary suppression - synarel/Lupron or the depot injection. Lining drugs - estrogen (Progynova/estradiol) here and you get progesterone support drugs over there Gestone/crinone (much cheaper in SA). Outside if that you need routine blood tests HIV, rubella etc (if you've had some done within the previous 12 months you can use those) a pelvic ultrasound to give them the lay of the land and that's it.
    Last edited by emski72; 16-03-2015 at 15:03.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to emski72 For This Useful Post:

Chiefsgirl  (17-03-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by leyshoja View Post
    Almost the same cost - they won't have quite as big a medicare rebate as they probably won't yet be over the medicare threshold, and if you have to go to private hospital for EPU that is not covered by private health insurance.
    Plus I had to pay for the EPU as well as a full price FET for me.
    Yeah right, thanks @leyshoja I'll bear that in mind

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Oh my goodness, you look fantastic leyshoja.

I think South Africa is a really great option.

Adoption is soo hard in Australia, it's ridiculous. And Cate Blanchett jumping the queue has just really ****ed me off. She should do what Hugh Jackmans wife has done and try and change it for the rest of us mere mortals.

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Luckyme1 For This Useful Post:

JulieMalooley  (16-03-2015),Skyler  (16-03-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Gosh all that DE stuff is so expensive, so much pressure to get the BFP with all that at stake. The things we all will do huh! I love the idea though that you actually get a holiday too, thats such a bonus in this long line of IVF cr*ppiness.

Bongley thats exciting about your DP coming round, I think it can be hard for the guys to fully understand a woman's longing for a baby. Im not one of those women who are always doting after other peoples babies so on the surface of things it may not appear that Im clucky, but its like an internal pain or emptiness that needs to be fulfilled. I hope this cycle means all this DE talk for you is not needed anymore!!

AFM - Ive just come back from our appointment with the new FS. She was wonderful, and didn't talk a million miles an hour either, in fact the receptionist had to call her to say she was running over time as she lost track of time! So refreshing!!!

So she's testing me for NK cells and doing an endometrial scratch and then has also suggested I have an antibiotic with egg collection in case there is any toxicity coming from my tubal issues to impact implantation. She has also suggested a lower dose of FSH and the bondi protocol if the nk cells are elevated. She was positive about our previous cycles ending up with 2 blastocysts, saying that thats quite an achievement considering there are only a small number of eggs and didn't feel that it was time to give up on my own eggs yet, since we are getting embryos.
    I have pretty extensive adenomyosis so she wonders if thats impacting implantation, although its a contentious issue and it gives me some hope as i have had a pregnancy implant only over a year ago. But who knows.

So all in all, we have decided to do a max of 3 cycles with her and see what happens. I will do the nk biopsy/endo scratch next month and then straight after start the first antag cycle. I am a little scared about the low dose thing, but then have read that it can be beneficial for older women and poor responders, so i know its worth giving it a shot. I guess you have to be ready to take risks if you want to try some other things out.

Fingers crossed something works! I do feel more positive that she is ready to work with us and try some new angles.

11. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to tuxcat For This Useful Post:

BlondeinBrisvegas  (17-03-2015),JulieMalooley  (16-03-2015),Skyler  (16-03-2015),Summer  (16-03-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Luckyme1 View Post
    Oh my goodness, you look fantastic leyshoja.

I think South Africa is a really great option.

Adoption is soo hard in Australia, it's ridiculous. And Cate Blanchett jumping the queue has just really ****ed me off. She should do what Hugh Jackmans wife has done and try and change it for the rest of us mere mortals.
    I know Lucky, those 'stars' adopt babies more easily than you or I could adopt a pound puppy. Saw Nicole Kidman on the front cover of some gossip mag with a new baby as well but that could be just one of their silly false headlines. I'm sure most of them circumvent our ridiculous laws by doing it in the US.

Tuxcat, your new FS sounds great. Which clinic are you with and which city are they based in? (hope you don't mind me asking). I also have a blocked tube and adenomyosis and those issues have not really been considered a hinderance by my FS. I'm seriously considering a second opinion but can't decide who to go with.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Skyler - Im in Sydney and she's based in the CBD - its IVF Australia. Initials are Dr L F

yeah the adeno thing is contentious, when i had my lap done in 2012 the Prof who did it said not everyone believes its a problem in implantation. Given I have conceived and didn't mc naturally I have always seen it as probably not an issue. But then theres a sh*t load of embryos thats haven't worked so you never know.

Lucky - the adoption thing is annoying with celebs. She wanted a girl so she got one! I guess money buys a lot in the end doesn't it.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to tuxcat For This Useful Post:

Skyler  (16-03-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks for all the information on DE costs etc, that is really helpful, I appreciate everyone who has shared their information, it helps a lot.

I'm away from my DH at the moment and feeling really vulnerable. I had to interact with a lady today who is about five months pregnant and it was so hard. I have such a yearning to be pregnant, I feel it with every fibre of my being. It is like an emptiness and a loss that I feel every minute of every day that my belly isn't all big and pregnant. I would have been due at the end of April, so another horrid date to get over. Sometimes I am just so stricken with grief I am just doubled over in agony, sobbing my heart out that my babies didn't stay. The desire to be pregnant is overwhelming.

I think that's why DE will be an option for us and probably SA like many are considering here. We wish adoption was easy too, my DH would do a Brangelina in a flash - he would have six children if he could, he absolutely loves them and is such a great hands-on Dad. He'd have to be if we had a big family! Anyway that's a pipe dream unless somehow adoption becomes easy or we end up with a ton of money - that seems to be the answer to adoption doesn't it? So unfair.
    Last edited by Summer; 16-03-2015 at 19:45.

16. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Summer For This Useful Post:

BlondeinBrisvegas  (17-03-2015),JulieMalooley  (17-03-2015),Skyler  (16-03-2015),winsor  (17-03-2015)