+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Job Ideas Please

I need a job sooo bad. SPP is not enough. How do other single parents earn a living around preschool/school times?

Im not particularly handy, or arty. And im not a fan of those avon/door to door things but would do it if you think its worth it (time vs money)

Ideas please! im thinking of going back to study but no idea what to study.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - Most posts for the week ended 19/6/2014
    It's so hard, isn't it? I work in retail but only casually. I have really limited availability and my main competition are 14/15 year olds that cost less than half of what i do so i don't get many hours at all. .

I study as well which only brings in an extra $62.40/fn but i do have a scholarship that pays for all my textbooks and fees with some left money left over each semester.
    Maybe you could do an open foundation year (different uni's call it different things) but maybe that would give you a bit of inspiration as to what you want to study?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    I work in aged care as an AIN but looking for a new job currently as i dont enjoy working where i do. I accessed before and after school care and also used daycare instead of preschool as their hours were more suited for us.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I have an office job, 8-5am mon-thursday. DD goes to long daycare three of those days, my mum looks after her the forth day.
    Even working four days a week, I'm earning much more than I was getting on SPP.
    Although I'm not sure what I'll do when DD goes to school in two years. I'm not sure if my work is flexible enough for me to just work school hours, or if I'll have to find another job.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Funniest Caption

Default Job Ideas Please

Berry delicious -

I feel you!! I'm looking for administration work ATM on SPP with three kids in shared care with exdh

SPP is such a struggle! Whenever I get any bills out of the norm fortnightly bills (elec, internet, rego, car problems etc) I genuinely fear how we will eat for the next month! Even without I use every last cent just keeping the house (which is the cheapest I could move to) over our heads and food on the table :/ it gets depressing doesn't it

The problem is, I haven't worked in 6 years and although I have a cert III in BA and customer service experience- I haven't had one interview out of the hundreds of applications I've made since Christmas time

Then there is balancing daycare costs and availability to work- it's tough it really is!

I hope you find something that works soon.

I can definitely relate to what you're going through xo

6. The Following User Says Thank You to KiWolf For This Useful Post:

BerryDelicious  (25-02-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - Most posts for the week ended 19/6/2014
    Quote Originally Posted by nudge88 View Post
    I have an office job, 8-5am mon-thursday. DD goes to long daycare three of those days, my mum looks after her the forth day.
    Even working four days a week, I'm earning much more than I was getting on SPP.
    Although I'm not sure what I'll do when DD goes to school in two years. I'm not sure if my work is flexible enough for me to just work school hours, or if I'll have to find another job.
    Most schools have affordable before and after school care, so that may be an option for when your little one gets to school age? I used it for my eldest when he was younger and attempted to use it with my youngest, but he has autism and the carers weren't okay with that.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Awards:
    200 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - week ending 5/6/15100 Posts in a week
    Australia post offer delivery only riders that work from 9 to 2.30 ish. This could suit you.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Maxwell's Silver Hammer For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Hello and good luck with your search for a job.....
    My ideas are as follows
    - retail
    -reception
    -waitress/cafe
    -sand which hand

You can always Google job ideas or go to the seek website and just see what is available.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    I'm a full time receptionist. I've been in the real estate industry about 14 years.

What about something like assistant property manager? We have several property managers and assistants at my work who are mums. The assistants work part time. There's even a few assistants in the sales team who are mums, they just work school hours.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Hollywood For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I know a mum who did a 1 day food handling course which was specific to children and she got a job in a newly opened daycare as their cook. She approached them and offered to do them a 2 week menu before they opened if they would consider her for the role. They have given her reduced fees and her older one's go to before school care for an hour (she starts at 8.15am finishes at 2.30pm. You cold also offer this option to a few family day care centres in your area and do most of the prep from home.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to BbBbBh For This Useful Post: