+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Inappropriate comments and discrimination in the workplace

Hi All,

Just wondering if any of you have had any workplace discrimination or inappropriate comments made while pregnant and if there was anything you did to try and resolve the problem..

I told my boss I was pregnant early on because I had debilitating cramps and had a couple of days off work.

My boss then asked me how my family members were when pregnant and if they were all "princess like" with morning sickness. He motioned the back of his hand to his forehead to imitate someone sick.

To me this came across as offensive especially since I had already told him that I hadn't been well. I have since then developed terrible all day sickness and fatigue and had to take further time off work. I feel ashamed of not being at work and now have anxiety of facing my boss in case he thinks I am just being "princess like".

Not sure what to do.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I was discriminated against with my previous boss. I work for a large company with a HR department. I rang them and created a file detailing dates, times and things that were said. I also kept a diary. I had the option to raise my file to a confidential complaint, but I decided to just get out of there. I didn't want To work for someone that has that attitude. Call HR, it can even be confidential if you wish and seek advice.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Talk to your HR department. I usually find them to be really good because they know what comments can get the company into trouble and they will usually talk to the offender (even if it's the boss). If they are no help you can contact fairwork.gov.au, but they will make you try to resolve the issue yourself before getting involved.

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to sunshinegirl84 For This Useful Post:

JR03  (18-02-2015),MrsMSL  (18-02-2015),Seals  (18-02-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Keep a diary detailing the offensive remarks, but also make sure you are clear with this person about their comments being inappropriate, unwanted and unappreciated. Sometimes this type of thing can be a bit insidious and it's easy enough for perpetrators to claim they were "just trying to be friendly" or "just kidding" etc. If it continues after you've told them politely to stop, then get in touch with your hr dept.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to MsViking For This Useful Post:

Seals  (19-02-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I agree with PP, keep track of everything and if you are sick and uncomfortable - get a sick note from your doctor and take some time out.
    I suffered with on-going bullying in my first five months of pregnancy, I worked for a Government department and was the only female within the technical staff at a small regional office in WA. I ended up resigning and not taking maternity leave. We moved overseas and I never looked back. I received a card from the director in Canberra thanking me for my contribution to the industry and a job offer from the Sydney area manager if I ever came back to Australia.
    Honestly I couldn't have imagined working in that office for the rest of my pregnancy and then returning to work as a mother when I saw peoples true colours, although financially it was a big decision, I am glad I made it!
    Don't let it get you down, you are stronger than you know!

8. The Following User Says Thank You to michellead For This Useful Post:

Seals  (19-02-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sunshinegirl84 View Post
    Talk to your HR department. I usually find them to be really good because they know what comments can get the company into trouble and they will usually talk to the offender (even if it's the boss). If they are no help you can contact fairwork.gov.au, but they will make you try to resolve the issue yourself before getting involved.
    Quote Originally Posted by HopefulK View Post
    Keep a diary detailing the offensive remarks, but also make sure you are clear with this person about their comments being inappropriate, unwanted and unappreciated. Sometimes this type of thing can be a bit insidious and it's easy enough for perpetrators to claim they were "just trying to be friendly" or "just kidding" etc. If it continues after you've told them politely to stop, then get in touch with your hr dept.
    Fantastic advice here.

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Inappropriate comments and discrimination in the workplace

So sorry to hear this. Good luck, the diary is great advice.
    Last edited by Mumlife86; 25-05-2015 at 07:32.