+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    I moved to another state. Loved it until now and ready to go home. It had been an amazing adventure for us. Having no family support is really hard. We made lots new friends through kindergarten.

It feels like a holiday coming to an end now. I'll probably have to stay another year though.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Brisbanemum87 View Post
    I moved to another state. Loved it until now and ready to go home. It had been an amazing adventure for us. Having no family support is really hard. We made lots new friends through kindergarten.

It feels like a holiday coming to an end now. I'll probably have to stay another year though.
    That's how i think it'd be for us. A holiday for a few years then go back.

It's silly but I like the idea that we'd be renting and dh won't be able to do any renovations at all lol

3. The Following User Says Thank You to musicalmummy For This Useful Post:

superbuns  (17-02-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I just moved to Sydney from UK 6 weeks ago and it is hard but there's always going to be pros and cons. Of course I miss my family and friends but having FaceTime and Skype makes things so much easier as apart from time difference I really don't feel like I'm thousands of miles away. I'm lucky as my DS 1 is only 15 months so don't have to worry about school etc yet but it's hard for our families to not see him grow up as he's changing so much. Most things aren't permanent so if you end up hating it the chances are you can go back but you might regret not taking the opportunity.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Yes, many times, mostly for dh's work with promises thing will be better financially and we will be able to get ahead. At the time it has seemed like the best idea but every time I (or both of us) regret it almost immediately and we end up moving back closer to family. Especially with dh being away so much, I need (and my kids need) the support. Our last move was the worst- it nearly broke dh and I. I struggled to make friends- in 2 years I made 2 friends and even then 1 cut all contact and I have no idea why. I pretty much never left the house except to do school run and go to the shops.

We wont be moving away again.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Yep we've just moved from a big town in qld to the middle of nowhere. We are 900km from any family and I'm loving it. Haven't made any friends as such yet and I thought that'd bother me but it hasn't so far. Am going to start working at the local school in a month or 2 and that'll get me out of the house a bit. We never wanted to bring our kids up in town and they are 6 and 4 so definitely needed to make the move soon. No regrets here, we will never go back to where we left.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Cicho View Post
    Yes and it's what saved our marriage.
    Our move was supposed to help save our marriage... it ended up breaking it!
    Funny how different everyone's experiences can be.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to CMF For This Useful Post:

Cicho  (17-02-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks everyone. Lots to consider and think about. The thght of packing does not inspire me at all. But the thought of packing and culling and getting rid of stuff is nice.

Thanks
    Reviews
    We moved 3.5hrs away from both our families. My brother was our only relative that lived where we moved to. We initially decided to move so I could apply to a particular uni. A few weeks before we were set to move I found out I was pregnant (after trying for 12mths and then agreeing to stop trying!). We moved, dh got a great job, I made friends through playgroup and had our dd. Absolutely loved it down there! Close to the beach, always something to do on the weekends, no small town bull. Buuuuut, after having our second child I found it really hard being away from my family. Dh then got offered a better job back home so we moved back. If I could pick everything we have here up and take it with us, we would move back tomorrow. It really is a tough decision (and process!) but you really won't know until you try it.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Yes and loved it. It began when dh got transfered with his job 16yrs ago moving to the country. Once he did his country post we returned back to the city and family but couldn't adjust so we moved back to the country town we had left a few years later. We visit family in the city every 3months or so which is enough for us. We love our family but also love our space from them. As far as making friends went, we were social people and met people through our work environments. Then since having kids, it opened up many more opportunities to meet people.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Blessedwith3boys For This Useful Post:

Cicho  (17-02-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Awards:
    Past Moderator - Thank you
    100 Posts in a week
    I moved to a small country town after I got engaged to my DH. I moved 8 hours away from my parents, and 3 hours away from other family and friends. I didn't know a soul in the new place (aside from my PIL). We've been here 12 years now and it's home. I love it and couldn't imagine living anywhere else.