+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I think this is sad, she is probably just trying to do something fun with crazy glow lights or something. Just call her and let her know you dont feel comfortable in white but youd be sad not to attend. Im sure she will be fine with it, she hasnt had the chance to be cool about it yet do dont write off what could be a nice night out! Good luck OP

2. The Following User Says Thank You to heplusme For This Useful Post:

Star Light  (21-02-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger - Thanks100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by GucciDahling View Post
    I think the host is the rude one.
    Traditional etiquette would say that telling guests what to wear is rude. Sure, hosts can indicate a level of formality such as "formal" or "lounge suit" but to demand a particular colour is rude.
    E.g Guests are requested to wear formal white as opposed to "I'd love everyone to wear emerald green if you've got it".
    Guests are not props in the theatre of life.
    As a host, sure it might sound fun to have a particular theme but surely it's more important to share an event with the people you love and care about than only those who wear a particular colour?
    Completely agree. It's funny you mentioned the gift. I would expect this host to have a gift register or wishing well

4. The Following User Says Thank You to delirium For This Useful Post:

TheGooch  (17-02-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mama Mirabelle View Post
    Thanks ladies! The ASOS one is lovely, must've missed that one!

So I've just spoken to a friend who apparently already asked about the dress code and it's all white, no prints or black/white... hmmm, I might just check myself to be sure
    If she complains about a small amount of another colour, like the asos dress that I posted, I would tell her to shove the white up her butt!

6. The Following User Says Thank You to atomicmama For This Useful Post:

GlitterFarts  (17-02-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger
    Quote Originally Posted by atomicmama View Post
    If she complains about a small amount of another colour, like the asos dress that I posted, I would tell her to shove the white up her butt!
    LOL yes I think that's what I'll be doing, though more diplomatically.

Honestly though she's actually lovely, I don't think she realises that having a specific colour dress code could be difficult for other people. She leads a very glamourous lifestyle, has no children and a very well paid profession, jet setting off to New York or Europe to shop is the norm for her. I don't begrudge her this, she works hard and has made life choices than enable her to do these things and is perfectly entitled to.

I don't hate her for having a specific dress code, I just feel bad that I'll probably end up not going over a dress when I have perfectly lovely black dresses in my wardrobe that I'd love to wear and go celebrate with her. For me my priority would be having a good time with people I love, not what they're wearing, but each to their own I suppose..

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 5/2/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 31/10/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 24/10/14Busiest Member of the Week

Honestly though she's actually lovely, I don't think she realises that having a specific colour dress code could be difficult for other people. She leads a very glamourous lifestyle, has no children and a very well paid profession, jet setting off to New York or Europe to shop is the norm for her. I don't begrudge her this, she works hard and has made life choices than enable her to do these things and is perfectly entitled to.

I don't hate her for having a specific dress code, I just feel bad that I'll probably end up not going over a dress when I have perfectly lovely black dresses in my wardrobe that I'd love to wear and go celebrate with her. For me my priority would be having a good time with people I love, not what they're wearing, but each to their own I suppose..
    This is exactly what she needs to hear.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to LoveLivesHere For This Useful Post:

SuperGranny  (17-02-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    You could always buy something white and then dye it later or go the other way and wear something you own but strip it back to white?
    Last edited by waterlily; 17-02-2015 at 08:57.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to waterlily For This Useful Post:

poisonapple  (17-02-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

id just be honest. if she huffs and puffs don't go. HER loss.

Gothel is offline Skip the drama, stay with Mama!
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by NoteToSelf View Post

It's a bit arrogant to expect people to buy a special formal outfit they're likely to only wear once for a 40th birthday party!
    I agree ^^^ Gee 40-Zilla is the new Bride-zilla!!! I would really resent an invitation like that, I'm time-poor and don't have money to splash around on one-off outfits. If it was a wedding or she allowed some wiggle room then fine but *white*??? Really? We can't all be Elizabeth Hurley. I feel your pain OP, I'm short and carrying a few too many extra kilos, I have some loose white teeshirts but definitely nothing formal.

Can you rsvp with a maybe then search for something to wear within your budget. And if you can't find it by a week beforehand then politely say you are very sorry but you can't make it?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    1000 posts in a week500 Posts in a week
    750 Posts in a week400 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 12/2/15Busiest Member of the Week300 posts in a week

Default Wwyd? Birthday invite with very specific dress code

Did you see the dress I posted, @Mama Mirabelle? It's only $27 from memory (not sure about shipping), all white and should look flattering on a short body. Like someone else said, you could always get it dyed later!

I feel your pain on maxi dresses, being short really sucks sometimes!
    Last edited by Apple iPhart6; 17-02-2015 at 09:39.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Apple iPhart6 For This Useful Post:

Mama Mirabelle  (17-02-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger
    Quote Originally Posted by Apple iPhart6 View Post
    Did you see the dress I posted, @Mama Mirabelle? It's only $27 from memory (not sure about shipping), all white and should look flattering on a short body. Like someone else said, you could always get it dyed later!

I feel your pain on maxi dresses, being short really sucks sometimes!
    Oh yeah, forgot about that one! lol I don't where my head is, I do like one, I'll see if there's any wiggle room for a black/white combo, if not I'll go with the one you posted, thanks!

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Mama Mirabelle For This Useful Post:

Apple iPhart6  (17-02-2015)

+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast