Closed Thread
Page 78 of 97 FirstFirst ... 2868767778798088 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Egg Donation in South Africa #8

Thanks kmp
    Have pm'ed you on separate question ....

Thanks
    Reviews
    Miss Sagi, I'm part of two Single Mothers by Choice groups and one has asked the book question recently. There are some books on Amazon:

A Very Special Lady: A Story about Ivf, an Egg Donor and a Little Girl.
    by Nell Carswell and Pauline Haas

A Tiny Itsy Bitsy Gift of Life, an Egg Donor Story
    by Carmen Martinez-Jover and Rosemary Martinez

A Family of Two - Mommy and Megan: Single Mothers by Choice (The Happy Family Children's book collection 1)
    by Elizabeth Reed and Malgorzata Godziuk

A Family of Two: Ashley Began in Mommy's Heart (Single Mothers by Choice - The Happy Family Children's book collection...

This was written by a gay Canadian and from the reviews I read covers a lot of alternative families. What Makes a Baby
    Cory Silverberg (Author),

3. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Canuck1 For This Useful Post:

crabby  (12-04-2015),Devaki  (12-04-2015),KLM0511  (12-04-2015),Miss Sagi  (12-04-2015),Patsy73  (12-04-2015),Sunnygirl04  (12-04-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi Canuck!
    How are you? Have you had your repeat bt yet?
    I'm feeling permanently hungover and jet lagged which is how I felt with my son (remember my Miami story!)
    No more bleeding or cramping since day 8 ... Early days repeat bt tomorrow for me...
    😃

Thanks
    Reviews
    AFM (giggle crabby), my second HCG test did not come back great. 9dpt 103, 11 dpt 149. My doctor here assured me that it is too early to tell, and I am going back in a week. I still have a bad stomach virus (trust me this isn't morning sickness), so am feeling weak and just trying to get some fluids in to me. I haven't really been online as Dr. Google is not my friend.

KMP, thanks for all the positive information on donor children. I have met quite a few (mainly donor sperm, though some double donor) and they all seem happy and well-adjusted. I figure that I have gone to such lengths to get pregnant that this child (god and Shiva and every god under the sun willing) will no doubt feel loved, and I think that is the key.

I also totally agree with EmmaJane. If you keep it a secret it will feel dirty once it gets out and it will get out. I think integrating the donor story into the birth story will 'normalize' it. A lot of women are part of my single mothers group to show their kids that there are other Single Mothers by Choice and get support. I do think kids knowing that there are others like them can't hurt the situation.

While I do wish SA was Open ID, but in a way, I am glad the decision was taken away from me. I did the best I could with the resources I had. I will follow Devaki's approach and make it part of the birth story.

6. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Canuck1 For This Useful Post:

crabby  (12-04-2015),Devaki  (12-04-2015),KMP  (12-04-2015),mardicharli  (13-04-2015),Miss Sagi  (12-04-2015),Sunnygirl04  (12-04-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    hi all, thanks to blinky for the help with my meds a fortnight or so - international pharmacy came through and on time!

Another bump in the road. I got the results from my DHs sperm and its come back showing none are normal. Somehow Genea never picked up on this through 5 ICSIs.

Anyway, DH has taken this very well and has moved very quickly to being ok with donor sperm for our upcoming trip in June.

does anyone know how much the donor sperm is cost-wise. is there any timing issues in switching to donor sperm?

Thanks

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Hopeful1975 For This Useful Post:

Blinky76  (13-04-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Donor sperm costs about $150. Ask them to forward the lists so you can start researching profiles. They have about 3 spreadsheet pages of caucasians let alone other options.

It could take a while to choose, but realistically there are many more options than in Australia. It's a very easy process. You need to pick your top 3 choices in order- depending on whether family limits have been reached when it's your turn. You don't hold the sperm like in Australia, you just make your choices.
    Last edited by KMP; 12-04-2015 at 22:15.

Thanks
    Reviews
    thanks - that's awesome! Onto it now

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Hopeful1975 View Post
    hi all, thanks to blinky for the help with my meds a fortnight or so - international pharmacy came through and on time!

Another bump in the road. I got the results from my DHs sperm and its come back showing none are normal. Somehow Genea never picked up on this through 5 ICSIs.

Anyway, DH has taken this very well and has moved very quickly to being ok with donor sperm for our upcoming trip in June.

does anyone know how much the donor sperm is cost-wise. is there any timing issues in switching to donor sperm?

Thanks
    Wow Hopeful - I'm stunned that something like this wasn't picked up earlier by your clinic? Has something significant changed for your DH to perhaps contribute to it? (New medication, lifestyle changes?)
    Either way it's good that it his on board for the donor option. I was surprised at how easy my DH was with using donor..
    KMP answered most of your questions but just in regards to timing, using donor sperm doesn't change any of the timing - it's exactly the same. CFC definitely are a 'well oiled machine' when it comes to all that. The only thing that seems to adjust timing is a donor's response to stimming.

Glad to hear all your Meds came through.. 😊

AFM - 11 weeks 5 days today.. Have become used to the nausea that seems to hang around but have started to get the odd headache. Other than that just counting down the days to our NT scan next week..

12. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Blinky76 For This Useful Post:

Canuck1  (14-04-2015),KLM0511  (13-04-2015),mardicharli  (13-04-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Blinky, thanks for the update. It's good to hear how the February women are doing. How are the rest of you?

Be careful what you wish for but right now I would love some indication that 'the Dude' is growing (I am exhausted and have heartburn but no nausea). I am pretty concerned with my HCG levels not rising as they should. My 9dpt was 103, my 11dpt was 149, which means I am doubling every 3 days 18 hours. My doctor thinks that the first reading was twins and one of the twins has dropped off. Any reassurance that the second reading is not too far off would be welcome.

Hopeful, I had no concerns with the donor sperm from EDSA. I asked Dr. Wiswedel if it was fresh or frozen and he said they only use frozen so that it is always HIV free.

Thanks
    Reviews

Smile Off to Cape Fertility Clinic in May – few practical questions

Hi everyone
    I'm a relative newby......briefly looked at South Africa egg donation last year….ended up going to Greece in January - it didn’t work of course……for specific reasons I have turned back to South Africa and am now back where I should have been the first time. Things are now happening quickly….in fact after contacting Cape Fertility Clinic only a month ago I am now scheduled to fly out for an early May cycle! Think this timeframe is a bit quick for CFC but given I was already ‘in-cycle’ they were happy to work with me and it’s all come together rather quickly. I haven’t even booked flights or accommodation yet….so I had a few practical questions I was hoping people might be able to advise me on….I’ve only followed the forum again for a few weeks but am very grateful for the honest and detailed info people share….it’s made a huge difference…….I still have a few practicalities to sort though………accommodation, flights etc! Does anyone have any accommodation recommendations? I’ve looked at the beautiful Vineyard Hotel but unless someone knows how to get a discount it’s a bit too expensive for me at the moment. Looked also at the Hedge House B&B which looks nice and recommended by CFC …just wasn’t sure if they are used to ‘singles’ rather than couples staying with them – given I would share the fact that CFC recommended them I wouldn’t be as ‘anonymous’ as if I was staying in a hotel and I wasn’t sure how open-minded South Africa is – guess they would be pretty used to the whole egg donor thing if they’re on the CFC list…..but I don’t want to feel awkward staying there. Was leaning more towards somewhere like the Hedge House than the Park Inn Hotel though….open to any other suggestions….Also still have to book the flights….South African Airline? Qantas? Emirates? I was looking for the most direct flight (from Brisbane) as I’m trying to minimise the time I am away from my 5 year old son (my little shadow)…in fact if it all goes to plan I’ll only be in South Africa for approx. 4 days. South African Airlines offers the cheapest flights but I’m not sure about this airline….does anyone have any feedback? The trip to and from Greece was horrible (ended up with severe cramps and feeling physically ill by the end of the return flight – can’t have been good for the embryos or circulation) so I even contemplated flying back from SA in business class – just so I can lie down…..that was until I looked into the p-r-i-c-e…….have to be realistic. Also how did everyone handle the transport / airport-accomodation transfers when you arrived in Cape Town? Do people just pick up a taxi at the airport or a hotel shuttle bus or something else??? Any advice would be much appreciated! Fingers crossed and counting down….
    Thank you!