Closed Thread
Page 64 of 96 FirstFirst ... 1454626364656674 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Annabelle - Glad to see both twins are doing well with good strong heartbeats. I hope all will be well at your 12 week scan so you can relax.

KLM - Congrats on the scan. They say the dates vary by +-4 days during the early scans. Wow you're already 7w3d, time flies.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to faith15 For This Useful Post:

KLM0511  (31-03-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Annabelle, congrats on the strong heartbeats. That must be a relief.
    KLM, also great work, this whole process seems to be so much waiting.
    Hoping, I sent you a private message.
    Thank you all for your support. I can not tell you what a godsend it has been to know that others are going through this same process. The advice I have received on this forum has kept me from Dr. Google. I have truly enjoyed the time I have spent with great women who I never would have met (hoping, pss and crabby).
    I transferred two 'perfect' embryos today according to Dr Wiswedel. I don't know exactly how many I have left to freeze. I am currently resting by the pool at the B&B and am meeting pss tomorrow for another day of sitting by the pool. Women on bedrest - my hat is off to you. It takes strength to be still.
    Like crabby, I have been thinking of advice for lurkers. This whole process (infertility/egg donation) has taught me so many lessons. So here it goes:
    0) Connect with other women from bubhub who are here at the same time. Going through this is something none of my friends can really relate to, and the understanding I have received from these women has really helped me through this process. Gold stars to Hoping, PSS and Crabby for their intelligence and sense of humour. It's been a blast - which I hadn't expected.
    1) Trust your gut and trust your doctor.
    2) I have been fairly open about my reason for coming to South Africa and have received nothing but support from unexpected places.
    3) Use ΓΌber if you are not comfortable driving (thank you to the February women for recommending it).
    4) When travelling here, plan the must-dos (ie. wine region and safari) and go with the flow when you get here. Weather, invitations from bubhubbers, doctors appointments all play factors and although I haven't done everything on my list, I came mighty close.
    5) Arrive in Cape Town as early as you can. There is something healing about this region. I arrived four days before my first appointment and had time to hang out with hoping, go on a day safari and was well adjusted for my first (and only really) appointment.
    6) Set your departure date at least two days after expected transfer. I should have transferred Saturday. My transfer date was today and I am leaving tomorrow.
    7) Relax and enjoy - I know it's hard - but in addition to hopefully taking home some stowaways, I have had a wonderful vacation.
    8) Even though I only used her for the Mont Rochelle experience, I found Faith (https://www.facebook.com/medicaltourismsa) to be a great resource.
    9) I really enjoyed staying at a B&B as I found it nice to have breakfast prepared and it really does feel like home.
    10) Keep your receipts for any goods bought. You should get 14% back as you leave the country. I checked and services (i.e. medical procedures) are not included.
    11) If you have the embryoscope, bring or buy a flash drive. You can take the whole development home.
    I know more will come to me later (thanks progesterone), but I can honestly stay that this has been an incredible experience with very few hitches.
    Last edited by Canuck1; 03-04-2015 at 00:51.

4. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Canuck1 For This Useful Post:

crabby  (31-03-2015),Devaki  (31-03-2015),emski72  (31-03-2015),Hoping4best  (31-03-2015),KLM0511  (31-03-2015),mardicharli  (31-03-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Awards:
    200 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 27/8/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 15/5/15Busiest Member of the Week100 Posts in a week
    Oh and do the VAT before you go through security at the airport... DH and I thought it was airside...but no, it's landside.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to emski72 For This Useful Post:

Canuck1  (31-03-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi Ladies,

About us... Me 44 and DH 37 TTC #1 since June 2012 with unexplained infertility (I'm old!). We have gone through 3 IUI and 6 IVF with 1 failed fertilisation, lots of BFNs, 1 chemical and an 8 week MC last cycle.

We are using our final frosty in an FET tomorrow. If this doesn't work (not much hope "dodgy ,borderline" emby) we are moving to DE. We have one possible known donor but are planning beyond them if they say no.

My research has lead me to SA and this thread. We have had a look at the various options and I have a couple of questions:
    1. Many people here seem to use CFC - are there others that come highly recommended?
    2. How do you go about selecting the agency? I have contacted 2 so far and got a better 'feel' from one but preferred the donor profile format on the other. How do you balance 'clicking' with the agency vs the range/availability of donors (and the amount of work you need to do to obtain the donor profile) vs cost?
    3. Our timeline is uncertain. I am currently not working but have just gone through an interview that is looking good. If I don't get this job we are looking at August this year and if I do we will delay to about Feb next year due to known projects with the job. How far out do you plan and what do you do by when?
    I have read through this entire thread (but not #1-7) and am impressed by the support/strength and results that I have seen.

Sunnygirl

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi Sunnygirl. Welcome and while you aren't holding much hope for your next cycle I wish you all the very best anyway.
    In relation to clinics I'm actually one of the rare ones that's used Medfem in johannesburg. I have been there twice now - and don't have any complaints. They have always responded to me promptly and I've found them very good. That said I think there is a lady on here who wasn't happy with them - I'm not sure how long ago that goes back but I've been dealing with them over the last 12mths and it's been good. I chose them simply because that's where the donor was, the agency suggested them and I did a bit of research on them and felt comfortable enough proceeding with them. This time around we went to cape town before the transfer and I had to have a scan. Cape fertility were happy to do that for me and I saw dr Matebese who was lovely. So based on my brief interaction I think Cape fertility is fine too - but there are plenty on here who can talk about that.
    In relation to picking an agency I guess I just got lucky. I put my focus on finding the donor so looked at all agencies and the one I went with was great. In theory any of the registered agencies should be fine. Personally I would wear not 'clicking' with an agency if they had the donor I wanted - I don't need to click with them - just need them to do their job.
    For timing - probably one of the things will be finding your donor and then their availability. From memory I could only reserve them for 3mths (might have been 6 I can't quite remember but I think it was 3). Other donors will stipulate their availability. Once chosen and confirmed though it can happen quite quickly - within a couple of months.

There's lots of knowledge on this thread so I don't doubt you'll get lots more info to add to the above. All the best.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Hoping4best For This Useful Post:

Sunnygirl04  (03-04-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi Hoping,

i suppose my concern with agencies is that I have read through some of the threads and communication issues pop up. With all that we risk I just didn't want that extra drama. Will start looking at the other agencies but we have a lot of lead in time so more research rather than full on donor selection.

Transfer is tomorrow and I have had an endo scratch so we will see but it doesn't hurt to have plans B&C thought out and ready to pull the trigger on if needed.

Thanks for your reply

sunnygirl

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Sunnygirl04 For This Useful Post:

Hoping4best  (31-03-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I've just been doing a bit of catching up on how everyone is going.

Blinky - how wonderful you've been able to see your little ones. Magical. Hang in there with the bed rest - it will all be worth it in the end. Re your concern that your FS might think you are a raving pregnant lunatic - we have the same FS I think - and I think they already have me to contend with...so you're probably safe and I'd make you look good πŸ˜‰ I hope that persistent ache is improving.

Devaki wonderful also you've been able to see yours too and sorry to hear there are concerns with one emby. Hang in there with the bed rest too. You've no doubt been through so much to get this far - you can do the bed rest no sweat πŸ’ͺ

Annabelle - another set of twins..wow..congratulations πŸ’

Miss Sagi - so glad to hear things were all good at your 8 week scan.

Emmajane - great to hear your plans are all coming together.. May will be hear before you know it.

KMP - good to hear all continues to progress well for you.

KLM - good to hear your bleeding settled and how fantastic you saw that little heartbeat.

Faith - how wonderful you got to see that little heartbeat.. It must be reassuring.

AFM - well I thought the light bleed had stopped last night but when I got up this morning it started again. I thought it was going to start getting heavier. Spoke with FS who upped oestrogen and a little progesterone too. It amazes me the little embies survive all these drugs. While the bleed has backed right off its still there - very light. I have nothing to base this on but part of me wonders if the pregnyl could have generated a bleed. So I guess we see where things go.

Hope everyone is doing well.

13. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Hoping4best For This Useful Post:

EmmaJane75  (01-04-2015),faith15  (01-04-2015),KLM0511  (31-03-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hoping4best - I am praying the bleed will go away soon and that it's just one of those bleeds most of us have. Hang in there.
    Last edited by faith15; 01-04-2015 at 01:29.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to faith15 For This Useful Post:

Hoping4best  (01-04-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Hi Sunny
    Welcome!
    To answer some of your questions:

Initially we were actually recommended another clinic in Cape Town (Aevitas?) and some in other countries (Greece, Spain, Hawaii, Argentina ) but after doing my research we settled on CFC for a few reasons : one was some recommendations from ladies here but also more importantly (at least for us) was that two of the doctors at CFC were the team responsible for the first ever successful egg donor cycle in the world. We figured we wanted to go where the experience was...

As for agencies - we contacted all the agencies and our end choice was based not on $$ or on agency but solely on who had the donor/s we were interested in.
    I have known/worked with a few South Africans in my time and knew that they can sometimes some across as 'harsh' etc and always anticipated that Timezone differences would/could play a part in communication issues.

That being said however, the agency who had our donor (and subsequent donors) was fabulous. We had no issues whatsoever. They would respond within hours to emails and also went out of there way to contact us to make sure we were ok as well. There support for the donor was also fabulous - accompanying them to all appointments, helping them with medications/needles etc.
    infact when we met up with our contact while there on our most recent trip, she was just as warm and generous in person. The few hours we spent with her (about 3-4) added so much to our overall experience.
    Even now after our positive result she still 'checks in' to see how we are doing.

As for timing, different agencies have different rules some won't let you book a donor more than 3 months out some like mine let the donor decide and will book 6months out.
    (I had my donor 'locked in' last July for a jan/feb donation)
    The donors are only allowed to do a total of 6 donations so some 'popular' or 'recommended' ones do get booked early.

My suggestion for you regardless of which timeframe you use is start researching for a donor because this can sometimes take a couple of months (it's a big decision). Ask the agencies lots of questions. There is some information that is either not put on profiles or not updated. Eg previous cycle results etc.
    From this you should be able to gauge their communication style/attributes and then go from there.

Good luck with your search!

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Blinky76 For This Useful Post:

Sunnygirl04  (03-04-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews

Default ED- CFC in june - where to gets meds?

Hi all,
    Brand new to the site but wowed by the wealth of info.

After 6 failed IVFs in Aus - now embarking on ED with CFC. Have booked in for June and just got protocol sent to me.

Can I ask how others got their meds. Have to take pill, Synarel nasal spray and then progynova.

My GP to date has been less than impressed that I am going overseas for treatment and just wondered how others got their meds.

Thanks
    X