Closed Thread
Page 99 of 101 FirstFirst ... 4989979899100101 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Good to hear everything is going well with you @Barca07!!!
    @Jojo85: I was planning to do iui because of me as a poor responder. I find it less stressful. My clinic iui cost isn't much difference than the IVF. The waiting is longer for iui. My Fs recommended IVF for a better chance since it is a lot of effort to do interstate.

As for iui, if you choose to go down that path, check you tubes. If you don't have any problem like Pcos, irregular period etc then it might just be a number game.

I know someone did 5 iui only to find out that she has problems. Also, every clinic has different criteria for how good the donor sperm is. It took a while for her to quickly move onto IVF. As you know, it is also a trial an error. If you have problem, I personally won't waste time and money on iui.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thank you all for the info. I am doing ivf when my hubby has his mteste, however my fs said if dh isnt successful then i will cancel my ivf as its cheaper but now im not sure if i want to do that or freeze my eggs for future ds. has anyone frozen their eggs?

with the iui, i might have a known donor if my dh is unsuccessful, but not sure the quality of his sperm atm. I dont have regular periods so that might be an issue but i just wanted to try for a "natural" conception and it is cheaper (if it works the first rounds). ill have to speak to my fs and see what he recommends, i think he will recommend ivf but it won't hurt to try a couple of rounds if ds is good .

congrats on your sister ttc81!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Jojo... If u cancel your IVF (when u do mTESE), will u get a refund?

You'll still need to do all the injections etc, and for me it is quite a big (physical and mental) thing to go through, to just cancel a cycle.

Can you have your donor sperm on backup, when your DH has the mTESE? We did, which meant that my cycle went ahead.

I'm not trying to confuse you, and It is only my personal opinion. I don't know the whole background story for you and what you've been through to get to this stage, but something to consider?

Thanks
    Reviews
    I don't think our clinic gives any refund if a cycle is cancelled. It certainly no refund if no transfer. I was told to freeze our eggs for future use if mtese fails. Ditto @Barca07, it is a physical and mental challenges. Cancelling a cycle is a big deal. Of course, you should do what is right for you.

The known donor will have to go through all the check as well. Then the clinic will tell u about the quality of the donor sperm.

littlesunflowers is offline It's not about the seeds - it's how you grow the flowers
    Thanks
    Reviews
    That sounds very similar to our story @Jojo85. Our first IVF with TESA, FS was sure he would find sperm. When none was found the cycle was cancelled and the only fees were for DH’s procedure and a $200 administration fee. (I had already paid my hospital excess that year.) FS recommended against freezing eggs because then we would be paying to store them and looking at IVF with them before even knowing where we stood. Plus frozen is not as good as fresh. Our next cycle went ahead with donor backup, and we used the donor.

I didn't mind the cancelled cycle as it turned out I was a poor responder and there weren't many follicles - we did better next cycle because we knew. If you just want to move ahead and have a baby asap then IVF with the mTESE and donor backup would be the way. If you or DH or donor need to know the outcome of the mTESE before you talk about using the donor, you could do the IVF and cancel if needed then go away and think. Just make sure they explain the costs.

And if I were fine and my donor was known and donating fresh sperm on demand that was fine, I'd personally be doing IUI instead of IVF. You have to do what you're comfortable with, this whole journey. But it might need to be a medicated IUI if you don't have regular cycles, so you might still have injections or tablets for the IUI. The cost is less, but so is the success rate. Sadly there are no easy choices!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi ladies,

Well our FS said it will be cheaper if i cancel my cycle if dh is unsuccessful, i would only pay for the drugs from my end. However like some, injecting myself all month to come out with nothing sucks. We did want ds as backup but FS said we can't unless dh has a tese first before the mtese to show he is not producing sperm then it has to get approved by the board. is this true?
    since dh only wants to go thru the one procedure we are not doing the smaller surgey. so we cant do backup.

we just got known that my bro in law has decided to help us and be our ds, but will not start the known ds procedure until my dh surgey and they are 100% sure he is sterile. so that can be another 6 months after dh mtese which is in july. hes very stubborn and we cant persuade him to start sooner. we do appreciate him for offering tho and my dh prefers his brother over annon.

so now i am thinking to still retrieve my eggs in july no matter what, and if knwn ds is good try iui first and keep my eggs frozen as backup. the dr says its better to fertilize fresh but like i said cancelling my cycle will be more upsetting to me.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Jojo85

That's great news about your brother in law being donor. You must be relieved!

We are with IVFA. Yes, at first my FS said we couldn't have donor on backup for mTESE (even after DH had a biopsy), but I wouldn't take no for an answer. We had already done our 2 counseling sessions and had been on the 'journey' for over 6 months, so after our FS realised that we were mentally prepared, he presented it to the board and we got approval.

For us, the chances of the mTESE was very very slim, and mentally it would have been worse for me to cancel the cycle. I was glad we had donor on backup BUT saying that you literally find out that the mTESE is unsuccessful minutes before you get wheeled to theatre for your egg collection, so it is a huge emotional rollarcoaster on the day.

Sorry, I don't know too much about IUI and egg freezing. I do understand but what you mean by wanting to try 'naturally' and I totally get it. We were advised against IUI due to an
    unrelated medical issue, and I'm also super impatient so just wanted to get started!!

My only advice is to do what feels right for you and DH. The FS can give you great advice, but ultimately it is your decision so do what feels right for you.

Thanks
    Reviews
    @Jojo85: i don't know which clinic you are with. I know a few WA ladies went to our clinic in sydney and had donor back up for the mTESE. They had to get board for approval but it was easily done. With the drugs and interstate effort, none of the FS suggested to do it without a backup. We didn't have a back up for various reasons, mainly DH wasn't ready. If there wasn't any sperm found, we agreed to freeze the eggs for possible future use. I was told that frozen eggs aren't as good. We didn't have medicare so everything was out of pocket. Super expensive. It didn't make any sense for us to pay all the drug etc fees and wasted it all. Guess what? It was the best decision we made because they did find DH sperm in the lab after my EPU. If i would have stopped right there, there wouldn't be any egg for trying our luck. Going through a cycle is mentally and physically exhausting. This is just a personal story. I don't want to convince you one way or the other. You have to do what's right for you and DH. It is a tough decision to make. It was a difficult 3 yrs for us and we didn't want to look back now.

I also thought about IUI and was very keen to give it a go given that i always only got 1 to transfer in the end per fresh cycle. It wasn't cheaper for IUI in our case. I just trust my FS.

Do you check with the clinic that it needs 6 months quarantine period for known donor sperm? I think some clinics have that restriction.
    Last edited by bbhope; 26-04-2016 at 05:56.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I just got a call from my FS. Our sperm donor is not giving any more donations. I am absolutely devastated!!
    In currently pregnant and have 1 more frozen embryo... After that we will need to use a new donor. I've always wanted 3 children, but assumed they would all be biologically related. Now I'm all confused... If the frozen embryo works, we'll either have to stop at 2 babies, or have a 3rd that is only half related the their siblings.
    Absolutely devastated!! I know I should be grateful to have had the opportunity with this first donor, but it's just another hurdle!! Seriously, give us a break!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Im with IVFA, prof Illingworth. We have an appointment with him in a few weeks and our first donor counselling session (on the same day lol) we are going to keep our names on the annon ds list just in case our known donor changes his mind.
    My dh and I are honestly ready for ds as we are pretty sure my dh has no chance (his inhibin b test was 12) so i think i might press for backup as he was really adamant we cannot have a backup. but at the same time my known donor process is about 6 months due to the quarantine, so im confused, either way we have to wait.

im pretty sure i want to retrieve eggs either way. Does anyone know what happens to the eggs after you do the injections and dont retrieve them? do they die inside and get flushed out during menstruation? sorry if its a weird question :/