Closed Thread
Page 58 of 101 FirstFirst ... 848565758596068 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Azoospermia #2

Quote Originally Posted by MGC Bertie View Post
    Bbhope..... yes, I still struggle when people say things about the baby going to look like DH. Strangely MIL (who knows about us using DS) brought up last week at the baby shower about the baby girl having the same hair colour as DH. I just sat there quietly thinking, maybe she doesn't remember us telling her it was DS?, or is it some ploy of hers to convince the people who don't know that it is DS, that it's actually DH's sperm? But it was really weird, as it would have been OK for someone who didn't know to start a conversation on that subject, but not really someone who does know.
    They forget. Both my sets of parents know and have been so incredibly supportive the whole time, but even just the other day mum and my MIL each said something about the baby looking like my DH and it's just like DH etc. My best girl friends also say it for example apparently sticking your tongue out whilst concentrating is a genetic thing and my DH does it and I told my friends in the conversation that DH does it and my girl friend said oh well your baby will do it too then. Then she and I shared a look and she said it still will knowing she had made a mistake. All good. They just forget which is not a bad thing!

As for hestitating when someone talks about looking like DH, I sometimes do but most of the time just say we'll see! I believe in nurture over nature anyway so not focused on genetics too much.
    @bbhope I am well thanks! 26 weeks today - yah! 12-14 weeks to go.

Hope everyone else is well x

2. The Following User Says Thank You to JenniwithanI For This Useful Post:

MGC Bertie  (13-07-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Azoospermia

So we just had our first SA back last week and it was zero... We are lucky as my doctor also works for a fertility clinic so we are going in this week to get more testing... My partner was told a few years ago he had a lump on his epididymis so we are hoping it's just blocking the sperm. How did you all go once you were diagnosed with Azoospermia? I am very anti a sperm donor at the moment probably because we haven't exhausted our options and just at the beginning of the journey... Are any from WA and been to Concepts?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Sorry to hear about the diagnosis. Hugs. It is such a shocking result. Take good care of yourself and DH. We also thought that DH has a blockage because of a lump. We were more worried about cancer than anything else at the time. Anyway, i hope that it is really a blockage so you don't have to go through what the same journey as us.

Yes, get more blood tests done to find the cause and second SA would be a good idea to confirm the diagnosis. I don't think anyone is pro-sperm donor from the beginning until there isn't any other better option to have a baby.

I am from WA and was with concept only to get on the donor list and get help with interstate IVF. We went to sydney for mTESE and donor in the end. xx

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Hi ttc1981.
    Sorry about the SA. Hoping it is the lump that's is blocking the sperm (and that the lump is nothing serious!)

We have used donor sperm... It is a journey and you do go through the '7 stages of grieving'. For us, we weren't thrilled at the idea to begin with, but as Bbhope has said, as time goes on and it becomes your only option, you get used to the idea and realize it's not that big of a deal.
    I know you're probably a long way off at the moment, but it does get easier with time.

I'm not sure how much research you have done, but with donor sperm it is compulsory to go through counseling, which we found really helpful

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks barca07 and bbhope for your email, we just found out we can't be seen till 14th September so another 2 months of knowing nothing I guess... what would you guys recommend get another SA done before this just to make sure sure or just wait to see Dr Artley at Concept. My GP also works there so I am going to see her Wednesday to chat about it all as I agree counselling will be something that I will need. I am guessing you are both a long way in your journey, have you both conceived using donor sperm... I am just unsure at the moment if my partner is 100% for it, he has said he is as its just like adoption yet one of us are related I am just not wanting him to have no connection and if you have both conceived using donor sperm does your partner have a connection... oh man the stuff life throws at you... I have told one person and that's it because we want to keep it private... not fun to go through another 2 months of people asking why we aren't pregnant yet and not being able to say anything... wish I hadn't told people we were trying

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Ttc1981.

I would get another SA. Chances are, the fs will get a second one done anyway, so you may as well get ahead of the game

We started our journey in Perth (fertility north) and now live in Sydney so have transferred to a local clinic. The most frustrating part of being in Perth was the loooong waiting times between appointments. Maybe speak to your GP and try and get as many tests as you can now, before your FS appt. that way you will get more out of your first appt and I think most of the initial tests are bulk billed

we are currently 8 weeks pregnant with our first, so can't comment on the connection between child and father, but so far DH has been super excited, rubbing my belly and talking to baby

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Barca07 For This Useful Post:

JenniwithanI  (13-07-2015),MGC Bertie  (13-07-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks it sounds like your know a lot of what's happening... I will suggest the second test and speak to my doctor this week about speak to someone about it all... I think I need it as I feel by showing my anxiety and emotions with my partner he's know how disappointed I am and then he will take it personally... Keep me updated on your progress with the bubs so exciting to be finally happening, I am 34 so feel like I need to push this along and my partner is 39 so even more urgency

Thanks
    Reviews
    @ttc1981: I'll write you a list of BT shortly which you can ask your GP to order without having to wait for the appt. To be honest, what i found frustrating here in WA is that there is no highly qualified male infertility expert here. The best and only andrologist in Perth, who we saw, has retired. Even so, she wasn't up to date with the new surgical technique to retrieve sperms.

If I remember correctly, @DeterminedOne was also another lady from WA. She was with Pivet, waited 1 or 2 yrs on the donor list. She recently got on top of the list only to find out that the FS wasn't specialized in the field and would only perform the basic sperm retrieval procedure. In addition to that, the FS cared more about the success rate so was pushing the idea the donor to them. It was a similar situation to us. Would you trust a surgeon to look hard for sperms while he/she is keen to push forward donor? That's why we left and went East. With our recommendation here, she has also gone to sydney for the mTESE recently.

I think you are wasting time with DrA at concept. He isn't an expert in this field. I was told about Dr T who is new and can perform sperm retrieval surgery. However, i don't know if he knows how to do mTESE. If he is, he would be the only one in Perth. I don't want to confuse you more since there is a difference between micro-TESE and micro-dissection TESE. I know a few who can do micro-TESE here in Perth. Anyway, take it one step at a time. You need to get BT sorted and second SA. The andrologist who we saw can actually tell us whether there is a blockage by looking at the SA result and has a feel of man part (such as missing van deferen). Ask Concept if they can do the SA for you. I know the normal path lab analyzes it slightly differently. Fertility clinic generally centrifugal the specimen to become pellet for analysis. That's more accurate than normal path lab.

Our journey took us 3 yrs. We wasted a year here in WA. The surgery was a success. Unfortunately, the only 2 embies resulted from that ended in chemical pregnancies. They think the sperm quality is very poor. Since mTESE is such an invasive surgery and the surgeon almost gave up looking on that day, DH has come to term with it and we moved onto donor. It is sort of a closure for us. We have tried everything.

Go and see Iolanda at concept or through her priv practice. Someone recommended me and she is very good. You can get your GP to write a mental health plan which last for 6 sessions. The OOP is fairly minimal if you see her at her priv practice. The formal donor counseling took place when we wanted to be put on the donor list. I dragged DH to see her at Concept (no medicare rebate on this one). I believe it was right then he was convinced. She cleared up a lot of misconceptions about donor for both of us. My FS in sydney is very good. After a lot of waiting around, we finally did our first donor cycle early this year. I am 6.5 month pregnant now. As for DH, he isn't the most expressive person in the world. He hates shopping but he has been willing to go shopping baby stuff with me. Also, at every of my OB appt. It says something.

Remember, it is not a blaming game. You need two to make a baby. Again, i really hope that it is an obstructive azoospermia.

xx
    Last edited by bbhope; 13-07-2015 at 20:30.

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bbhope For This Useful Post:

DeterminedOne  (13-07-2015),ttc1981  (14-07-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    ps: I also know someone in WA who didn't bother with the mTESE and went straight to donor. They are already on top of the list. The waiting list here in WA is at least 1 yr if you are not aware of it. I dont' know if it is shorter now. Concept has been talking about having imported sperms but that didn't happen when i last look early this year.

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Azoospermia #2

Hi ttc1981,

Um where to start??? To be honest I don't like saying welcome because I really don't like seeing anyone join this thread or be in this position.

You are very early on in your journey and what the other girls have suggested is a good idea get the sa and any bloods you can done now as it only more time later on and in/on this roller coaster ride time is not our friend!!! For you I really hope that your out come is a positive one and your not one of us....so to speak!

So a bit about us! Me 35 DP 35 ttc 3 yrs after 6 mths of trying naturally I told dp I want to get checked as early in my 20s I had CIN1 which is cysts that are early signs of cancer and I'm also overweight. So dp and I decided we'd both go to the appointment when we got there dr suggested DP be tested, we both looked at each other and the look between us was like why??? And then the dr said look I think it's a good idea....ok thinking nothing of it!!! Anyway a few days week passed and we got a call to come into the clinic for our results. Our life changed before us in one appointment. The dr said we'll miss you are fine yay sigh of relief however you sir are not my heart sank I looked at dp and his face said it all dr said quiet blatantly you don't have any sperm OMFG I was thinking what how is this possible!!!! I've never seen dp like it after the drs appointment he had to go to work and do night shift one of the worst nights ever!!! Anyway it took us something like 3-4 mths to get into FS by that time it was still very raw and had hope in other procedures that we would find sperm. We had an aspiration done nothing! We had a TESE done nothing all the while keeping hope but knowing just what we could be up for! After the TESE the clinic rang and said I'm sorry we could not find any sperm, your dp has no Leydig cell your only option for a family is adoption or known donor or anonymous donor. I was completely wreaked shocked I dunno there's no words really...I too was pro donor and made me so upset to think I'd never see dp bio child and what they would look like between us, plus he's a handsome man and the best natured person one could find. He to took a long time to digest it, we'd talked many times about donor and well it did grow on us but only cos it had to that was it or adopt?! We would rather have some bio connection than none adoption isn't for us. It took a further two clinic cos I wanted a second opinion and we found a clinic and we opted to choose a donor another 8-10 mths passed then we where at the top of the list ready to go..great!!!
    They set me up for an assessment cycle put me through it to tell me at the end of it you have no problems with fertility but your overweight and you need to loose 15 kgs bam another kick in the guts! Ok so I lose the weight however in the mean time Id been lerking on this thread and reading all the stories that this Azoo forum shared! Anyway we went back to FS this year and our previous FS had retired so we had to start with a new one, during the past year the girls here and dr Google give us one last chance at hope the MTESE the clinic I was with told me yes we perform this I thought yes yay!! However talking to Bbhope she advised me otherwise cos she'd been there done that...she told me that the only procedure anyone does in wa was the MESA and well I didnt want that if we where going to find anything the mTESE would do so we changed clinics again and again went through all the bull**** first consult, more scans, more BT's, another consult via Skype, the wait list an so on, then finally we had a cycle date something Id longed for for ever nothing was stopping US.....finally!!! In June I went to sydney for a month, I took time off work and we had our cycle it was very daunting being over on my own no dp until he need to be there! We where lucky enough to collect 9 eggs and and fertilize 7 but only 5 made to freeze. However dp's outcome was unsuccessful again heart broken there where no more options that's it its final. anyway we do have 5 double AA grade embies waiting on ice.

I hope in some way this give you a little hope and you draw hope from others as I have done. Lots of love and strength xx
    Last edited by DeterminedOne; 15-07-2015 at 10:18.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to DeterminedOne For This Useful Post:

ttc1981  (14-07-2015)