Because you will have a closure. If you were extremely lucky, a spermatid can result in a pregnancy. The success rate is extremely low but it does happen.
Some people just don't think it is worth the pain or false hope and decide to go straight to donor. We all have our own decision. You just have to go with what is comfortable to you.
Hmmm that is interesting to know. I will talk to the FS about that when I go to see her
When we talked to DrG, he said that 50% to find sperms and 50% afterward for a live birth. So the stat for us in the end is 10% finding sperms and only 5% chance to have a live birth. Very low. And obviously, it is zero in the end. The only good thing comes out of it is that they know I can get preg.
Hmmm. With the stats so low why does one do mTESE. Why not go to DS/adoption etc? I know it is closure but if you don't have much shot you could use that $$ for the cost of the baby
As I said, this is personal. No one forces u to do it. You don't have to. Dh wasnt willing to do donor at the beginning. If he could, he would have loved to have his bio child. Same as me. In the end, donor is the only option for us to have a family and dh has come around. It doesn't hurt less. I think that's another reason why dh won't want to do mTESE again given the low success rate and poor prognosis. I did want him to do it again.
But I know someone personally who is doing donor without going through the mTESE. Only both of u can decide.
We are doing it anyway. I just thought it is interesting that they recommend something with such low success rates.
There are people out there at have got BFP from mTESE and have sertoli so anything is possible. Maybe this is why DrC recommended vitamins to increase the sperm quality.
Interesting enough he said that if you were going to try natural then he would recommend spermhope but for a mTESE he said not to and just use vitamins.
It is about choice and hope. Just see so many of us here went through the process in the hope of having the bio child. No matter how low. 1% is still a chance. It won't have been possible before the technique is invented.
I don't know the logic behind DrC. If one can try naturally why go through mTESE? Just like spermhope ppl say. It cannot restore testicular failure. I dont believe people can go from non azoo to produce sperms unless the cause isn't severe. Scientifically impossible. Well, maybe in the future. Spermhope isn't FDA approved, though. Nor the ingredients are listed. Sure, there is nothing to lose to try.
Yes, for us it was the same. We had to do the mTESE just so we would definitely know and never look back with any regrets. I was distraught about not getting to have DH's bio child (more than he was, as he'd already come to terms with it) and wanted to try every possibility. As each thing failed, I was able to move on, but not before. Others might be able to do it, but I had to try everything. I've tried not to worry about the money, though it makes my DH quite upset to say the least. So far we've spent on the 3 years of IVF a total of $144,000 = $61,000 back from Medicare, $18,000 back from PHI, which has meant our OOP expenses so far have been a whooping $65,000. It's an incredible amount of money - it would have paid off our remaining mortgage by now, or DH could have had a new car with the extra on the mortgage. And there's probably still another $5-10,000 still to go before baby is born.
You have said it all, MGCBertie. I feel the same way. It is more me who wants DH bio child. My DH had already moved on since the first chemical. He wasn't holding any hope for the second embie. I still wish to have his bio child but that's nothing we can do but to accept the fact. We are both happy with the one in me atm.
You are lucky for not having to worry about the money. We are the opposite. My DH isn't worried but I am because I am the one watching the bank account. If this cycle hasn't worked, i really have no idea what we are going to do next. Although we only have done two fresh cycles + 1 FET, it has added up to $30k OOP. Not including OB etc. Our OOP seems high because our first cycle (with mTESE) was all OOP without medicare and PHI. Everything adds up with out of state IVF. Let's say that we are lucky to be able to pull that saving out. Because the $ is running out now, we have decided to go with the public system. I hope that my current OB is able to recommend me an OB at the public hospital in my zone so I can be a public patient with private care when the 12 wk is up. It still costs $ for priv care but saving the delivery fee and such. I am debating if i should consult with DrM again after my care with my current OB finishes. I am seeing him since day 1 of BFP because of the intralipid. For out of state patient, it is just unrealistic with DrM -- the OOP for each of my OB visit is minimal and each time I get a scan. With DrM phone consult, I don't get any of these and the phone call is always brief. So far, my case seems rather straight forward and I have been learning most from the NK cell thread anyway. How do you like DrM care so far?
Pregnant for the first-time?
Not sure where to start? We can help!
Our Insider Programs for pregnancy first-timers will lead you step-by-step through the 14 Pregnancy Must Dos!