Closed Thread
Page 24 of 100 FirstFirst ... 1422232425263474 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Do they do DH first and then you as in do you know if they find sperm first? Not that it really matters because I guess you need to do it anyway.

One of my SIL's got pregnant by accident so I don't expect her to understand and all her family have no issues. My other SIL understands alot better because she has alot of friends who have done IVF.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Yes, the dr will do dh first. The unfortunate part is that they have a limited time frame to look for sperms. I guess in the event of the dr needing more time to look, you might have to do epu without knowing the outcome first. There is a specific time frame that the eggs need to be picked up. If you ovulate pre-maturely, there won't be any egg! As you can see, everything has to line up. Quite a stressful process.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to bbhope For This Useful Post:

Malak  (09-03-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    so girls, iv sat down with DP to write out any questions we may have for the FS tomorrows appointment. We only really came up with 3. you all know the situation and are little more experienced than me at this, any recommendations for questions i should ask. I pretty much just want to know WHAT made the sperm classified as un freezable, what the chances are of finding healthier or usable sperm in a TESE and was it a possibility the sperm were no good as DP was in the first days of the Flu. He ended up on the couch for the last week more due to his cold sweats, sore throat and aching body rather than sore testicles. but after that i kinda draw a blank. i guess I'm a little nieve when it comes to this topic. any thoughts?

Thanks
    Reviews
    I would also ask why only one sample was taken.
    Is there anything you can take to improve the quality of the sperm (zinc supplements)
    Would it be better to do a mTESE than a TESE?

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Malak For This Useful Post:

JenniwithanI  (12-03-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    How many sperms in that sample? If it is low quantity and quality, they won't freeze it. You lose some in the thaw process. Also, if there is enough sample, why DNA fragmentation test isn't performed. I guess if none of them are in good quality, they might not even try dna fragmentation test. Only normal looking sperms can be tested. But heck, we paid $100+ oop while we just wanted them to find sperm in SA. They don't even have a single sperm for dna fragmentation test! I felt like a scam at the time.

They might have taken 1 sample as a test to see if they would find any sperm. But no excuse not to take one from each side. Ask if they are mature sperms.

In your DP case, since he is producing mature sperms, supplement will help to improve the quality. But he has to go on at least 3 months to see the effect. It takes 3 months to make new sperms from cells.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks for the insight. I now have a full page of questions we can ask. Googling DNS fragmentation test, never knew about that. Now I'm curious.

Thanks
    Reviews
    That was a good appointment. It ended up going for nearly 1.5hrs. So we covered all basis. Plan now is to set a date to my injections and have the TESE and egg collection on the same day. We're going to wait until my May period as I have a few classes I can't miss for my course and DP wants to heal a little bit more. I asked about the DNA fragmentation, they don't do it at flinders fertility, my FS doesn't feel there's been enough study on it for him to recommend it. And for some reason there's been a stop to the charge for TESE, so we only have to pay for the hospital and anesthatist for both of DPs procedures. That's $2000 saving. We just about fell off our chairs. S.A have dropped IVF fees by over half recently. Well flinders fertility have anyway.

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to allykat111 For This Useful Post:

BlondeinBrisvegas  (11-03-2015),JenniwithanI  (12-03-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    That's good news, Allykat111. It gives you time to put DP on menevit. Stay healthy. I hope they do day 5 culture as well. I know some low cost clinics only do day 3 transfer.

Interesting about them not doing DNA fragmentation test. It is quite a standard test at most fertility clinic. The good looking sperms don't necessary mean that they are in good quality. I dont' know how many sperms they have found. I can understand why it isn't suggested. In our case, the number is so small that we could only try our luck. They can't do the DNA fragmentation test.

All the best.

Thanks
    Reviews
    That is great news @allykat111. One thing I am confused about though is @bbhope and others have said to wait at least 6 months between TESA and mTESE, I would have thought that was the same case for a TESE.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I meant 6 months between TESE and mTESE. These are proper surgeries. As for TESA, it isn't as invasive. the recovery time is faster. I think @JenniwithanI dh waited 6 months? It was an one sample TESE in the end. But that's no complication with TESA. You can ask dr Chong about it. But I reckon if your dh has such a big problem, he might suggest longer healing time.

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bbhope For This Useful Post:

JenniwithanI  (12-03-2015),Malak  (11-03-2015)