Closed Thread
Page 10 of 101 FirstFirst ... 891011122060 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    That is good to know . I think we will do consults with both DrG and DrC in Brisbane and see what we think afterwards. We do have ages left to go anyway.

The urologist that did the TESA doesn't do mTESE ... thank god!

DH was saying yesterday that the time his balls hurt the most was when the female urologist at the hospital grabbed them lol. Maybe that is why they like male urologists like women prefer female docs for paps etc.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Malak View Post
    @Jenniwithanl was there private health rebate in that (not including hospital)?

Unfortunately you can't claim the out of pocket anymore on your tax return unless you have claimed it in the previous financial year. For us we haven't so we can't claim them
    Not sure that's 100% right on tax claim - I would get a second opinion on that from another accountant. But I have always claimed my medical out of pocket so I don't know. There was only a minor private health rebate - about 500 or so out of the 1700 and about 900 out of the 4k

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Azoospermia #2

That is good to know . I think we will do consults with both DrG and DrC in Brisbane and see what we think afterwards. We do have ages left to go anyway.

The urologist that did the TESA doesn't do mTESE ... thank god!

DH was saying yesterday that the time his balls hurt the most was when the female urologist at the hospital grabbed them lol. Maybe that is why they like male urologists like women prefer female docs for paps etc.
    I think that is a really good idea to have consults with both. That's what we did and in the end my DH chose whom he wanted and trusted. He still raves about dr Katz which is why I was worried about what I was reading tonight because I thought perhaps for a moment he'd botched the job or something but no he did what we asked. He "sliced and diced" - his words not mine - to give us the best possible chance. You have to recognise you will lose some tissue but hopefully is he is skilful you won't have testosterone issues. Even dr G told my DH he had plenty there to lose 😊 so he felt he wouldn't be that compromised and he has proven right.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by JenniwithanI View Post
    Not sure that's 100% right on tax claim - I would get a second opinion on that from another accountant. But I have always claimed my medical out of pocket so I don't know. There was only a minor private health rebate - about 500 or so out of the 1700 and about 900 out of the 4k
    It was on the ATO website . They said it is being phased out. So so sad just when we could have claimed them.

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Azoospermia #2

It was on the ATO website . They said it is being phased out. So so sad just when we could have claimed them.
    Oh that's crap sorry I wasn't across that I guess because I've claimed it I wasn't aware. Ah well. Negotiate on the price and get some second medical opionions to weigh up cost. I guess in the scheme of things, it's a small price to pay for a baby.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by JenniwithanI View Post
    I think that is a really good idea to have consults with both. That's what we did and in the end my DH chose whom he wanted and trusted. He still raves about dr Katz which is why I was worried about what I was reading tonight because I thought perhaps for a moment he'd botched the job or something but no he did what we asked. He "sliced and diced" - his words not mine - to give us the best possible chance. You have to recognise you will lose some tissue but hopefully is he is skilful you won't have testosterone issues. Even dr G told my DH he had plenty there to lose 😊 so he felt he wouldn't be that compromised and he has proven right.
    That is great he raves about him. DH says that the urologist tried to take away his balls. In the end I will let DH decide who he wants as he has to be comfortable with them.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Inhibin B is an indicator but not an absolute indicator. No one knows the outcome until they open it up. It isn't an IVFA thing. It is just that DrG and someone like my FS are running a research. By letting his patients to do the inhibin B test, they can study if there is a correlation or not. In the past, they show a correlation but I was told that the recent result says otherwise. I can't seem to find the recent research paper about it, though. I'd a discussion with this with my FS. She even told me a range of inhibin B and % of finding sperms based on that. It also depends on the histopathology as well.

I phrased it in a wrong way. DH isn't a selfish guy for what he said. In fact, our men are willing to do such invasive surgery have said it all about them. They really want a biological child. It is just unfortunate that nature has its own way of tricking people. Another mTESE is just pointless to us. It will only give us false hope due to poor prognosis. We might end up getting crushed again and yet another year of disappointment. The journey has been a very long one so the desire of being a parent is stronger than anything else. Just like Jenni said, we are happy and at peace. As a matter of fact, we are more worried about keeping the pregnancy going than anything else at the moment.

All i can say is that you guys are still on the early stage, explore all your can and try your best.

As for the public/private/OB question, one generally stays with their fertility clinic until the first scan at 7weeks. They don't call it a viable pregnancy until they see the heartbeat. After that, you are off to OB if you choose to go private. My case is slightly different because I am an interstate IVF patient. I am with an OB since BFP because I am doing a special immune treatment. If i haven't found a Dr in perth to do it, I would have to travel to sydney to get treated under DrM (the same Dr that Bertie is seeing for immunology issue). I consulted him few times and had done the treatment with him as well. But logically just doesn't make sense to do it with him while i can do it here in Perth. He is still the go to guy for serious immune issue which I don't believe i have and doing the immune treatment might just be overkilled. I am doing it because I know i've tried my best to keep this bub. I know few perth gals personally have to go through the sydney bound many times throughout their pregnancy with DrM!

The OB ,who is doing my immune treatment, offered to take care of me until 12 weeks, which includes the first scan that IVFA wants me to do. Sure, they can write me a referral and I can go to any lab to do it. The perth clinic, which does my monitoring, also offers the service (good business for them). I'm happy to just do it with the OB. I know first trimester is the most crucial time so I'll just stick with him. We aren't in a good financial situation at the moment so we will see what happens afterward. People book OB fairly early on so by 12 weeks, I won't be able to find any OB at all but i don't see the reason of double booking OB at the moment.

I must say that i do like the attention from the OB. It also depends on the OB. Some are unreachable but some are. My OB always tells me the BT result in person. So if we end up no $ after all the immune treatments, I might choose seeing a private OB and deliver in public hospital option. That's still a long way to go. I try not to plan so far ahead of time. Otherwise, public system starts to take over at 8 weeks for low risk case (GP shared care can be done as well). I think IVF is automatically classified as a high risk, though.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to bbhope For This Useful Post:

JenniwithanI  (20-02-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Ha...this thread moves so fast when i was typing up a long essay.

Jenni has it right. FS does mTESE on the side...simple explanation. That's why I wanted dH to see andrologist and urologist. My FS can handle my side of thing.

Yes, no tax deduction. I checked it when i filed this yr. I was hoping the last year of not getting the help of medicare and PHI on our first cycle could be done through tax. Nope. Well, a small price to pay for a baby. Just like Jenni said. We didn't get a baby out of that cycle but i don't regret what we had done.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to bbhope For This Useful Post:

JenniwithanI  (20-02-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    @bbhope you are always a wealth of information

If I ever get pregnant I might go private OB and public hospital. As with all of us we would have spent alot of money by that stage.

At what stage do people go to public hospital for check ups for high risk pregnancy? I am already a high risk pregnancy candidate without adding in IVF.

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Azoospermia #2

I don't know about qld. We just read a booklet from the best WA maternity hospital yesterday. They only handle high risk case. Apparently, only the super high risk case can go there (bugger). I hope I am not super high risk. Our zoned public hospital isn't very good so.....Anyway, for general population, when you get preg, you see your GP, GP orders a bunch of general tests and then assesses the case as high risk. The referral is sent to the public hospital that handles the high risk case. You will then go from there. I don't know the details. To be honest, it is so weird that I know more about the priv system than the public system because almost everyone I talked to go private. Something isn't right on this country. With priv ob at the public hospital, you still have to pay the OB managing fees like those who go priv which is few thousands depends on the dr. The only saving would be the aneathestic etc for delivery.
    Last edited by bbhope; 22-02-2015 at 10:37.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to bbhope For This Useful Post:

Malak  (22-02-2015)