+ Reply to Thread
Page 9 of 39 FirstFirst ... 789101119 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by heplusme View Post
    I have to admit, my first thought was "bleeding heart". Some people dont think of it emotionally, which is why i can honestly say i am pro-death penalty under certain circumstances (serial killers, serial pedos). I honestly couldnt give two ****s that those people have brothers, mothers and sons...they have destroyed more lives in the victims and their families.

Scum like this are costing taxpayers more money daily then i earn daily working full time. If they are a danger to society and shouldn't be ever left out, why should i pay for them to enjoy the sunshine?

Then again if some pedo killed my baby id probably want to kill him myself-but thats a whole other thread.
    I find the whole "bleeding heart" thing funny. A bleeding heart is supposedly ruled and blinded by emotion that they can't see things logically?

Yet I think it's often those who are so easy to write these men off, that are really thinking with emotion rather than being able to look at the death penalty and killing of these men for what it is.

It's emotionally easier for us to say, they're bad people, they're criminals, they knew the consequences - off with their heads.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to babyla For This Useful Post:

Butterfly39  (16-02-2015),HollyGolightly81  (05-03-2015)

harvs is offline Winner 2014 - Spirit of BubHub Award
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/4/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 2/4/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 19/3/15Busiest Member of the Week200 Posts in a week
    Having a laugh at someone elses expense? Just no.. not every one has to be on your side of the fence. Making light of their opinions is just rude in a debate. We respected the 'i stand for mercy thread', so respect our opinions here.
    Maybe just leave it now? I have been suitably chastised.

I will agree to disagree that all comments are equal in a debate thread - all people, yes, for sure, but I found it a ludicrous statement and expressed why.

There's an imo extremely offensive statement that another poster has made on this thread. I don't respect it as an opinion and it is irrelevant to this conversation. Having a right an opinion on something isn't some kind of protective bubble.

I already said I didn't intend it as a personal attack. I don't personally attack people on the hub. And honestly, it was a very tame comment.

I find it ironic to be singling out and quoting comments to say don't single out and quote comments, to be honest.

The poster is more than capable of sticking up for herself should she feel the need. And it's up to moderators to monitor my behaviour :-)

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to harvs For This Useful Post:

HollyGolightly81  (05-03-2015),tazz475  (16-02-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Awesome Queen of Amazingtown View Post
    Maybe just leave it now? I have been suitably chastised.

I will agree to disagree that all comments are equal in a debate thread - all people, yes, for sure, but I found it a ludicrous statement and expressed why.

There's an imo extremely offensive statement that another poster has made on this thread. I don't respect it as an opinion and it is irrelevant to this conversation. Having a right an opinion on something isn't some kind of protective bubble.

I already said I didn't intend it as a personal attack. I don't personally attack people on the hub. And honestly, it was a very tame comment.

I find it ironic to be singling out and quoting comments to say don't single out and quote comments, to be honest.

The poster is more than capable of sticking up for herself should she feel the need. And it's up to moderators to monitor my behaviour :-)
    I wasnt trying to chastize you, and i never said dont single out or quote comments either. Im sorry if you felt that way.

I get frustrated on the hub, as soon as someone disagrees with the majority everyone jumps down their throat instead of respecting how they feel. How many times did i have to explain or requote myself as posters did not read the whole thread before jumping down my throat? I never once said these men deserve the punishment they have been given-but i am a realist, and no matter how much i jump up and down i dont believe Indo will change their stance. If someone tried to force us to change our laws that seemed perfectly normal to us, would we just back down (thinking Sharia Law etc).

I am empathetic...but that doesn't mean i have to be sympathetic.

I think if we encouraged other opinions without an onslaught of questioning we would probably have more frequent posters on the hub. Not everyone wants to argue for hours over what they believe in. I have not argued with anyone over their POV, just had to defend myself and it gets quite old.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to heplusme For This Useful Post:

harvs  (16-02-2015)

harvs is offline Winner 2014 - Spirit of BubHub Award
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/4/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 2/4/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 19/3/15Busiest Member of the Week200 Posts in a week
    Fair enough.

This is posted in the 'debate it' section so I assumed anyone posting on this thread is willing and able to discuss their views.

Anyway, it's all good.

8. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to harvs For This Useful Post:

Butterfly39  (16-02-2015),HeavenBlue  (16-02-2015),HollyGolightly81  (05-03-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    I can see your point, sorry.

Having a laugh at someone elses expense? Just no.. not every one has to be on your side of the fence. Making light of their opinions is just rude in a debate. We respected the 'i stand for mercy thread', so respect our opinions here.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week

Default Debate thread for discussing the death penalty and the Bali 9

Quote Originally Posted by HappyBovine View Post
    That's an interesting view.

The USA has capital punishment. What are your thoughts? Do you believe all of the US falls into the category of socially and intellectually backwards? Is the vast majority of the population poorly educated?
    The us is a melting pot of many different mini countries all in one. They have the brightest of the brightest people. They also have some very large pockets of people stuck in the olden days (religion crazy, don't believe in science, let kids shoot guns etc). The states that have he death penalty have higher portions of less educated and socially aware people.

Have a look at the states that don't have the death penalty - New York, Maryland, Washington, D.C. Massachusetts. It's no coincidence that they have larger higher education, diplomatic and professional (as opposed to rural) presences.

This is not meant to be an attack on the US. I love yanks.
    Last edited by VicPark; 16-02-2015 at 07:50.

11. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to VicPark For This Useful Post:

beebs  (16-02-2015),Butterfly39  (16-02-2015),grace  (16-02-2015),harvs  (16-02-2015),HollyGolightly81  (05-03-2015),PomPoms  (16-02-2015),TheGooch  (16-02-2015),~Marigold~  (16-02-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by NoteToSelf View Post
    I don't really understand the outrage I've been hearing around about this. People saying we should boycott Indonesian imports, travel etc, that the Australian government should undertake sanctions.

I do feel sorry for these men, no one deserves this, their family doesn't deserve this, it's ********.

But I'll save my outrage and energy for innocent people who are killed or have crimes committed against them through no fault of their own.

No one travels to a county with the death penalty for drugs without being fully aware (they announce it over the PA on the plane!).

I just can't muster outrage about fully informed people choosing to smuggle drugs to try and make a shed load of money who got caught.
    I believe in sanctions against Indonesia for many reasons, this is just one of them. Their human rights records are atrocious.

13. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to beebs For This Useful Post:

Busy-Bee  (16-02-2015),Butterfly39  (16-02-2015),TheGooch  (16-02-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    I find it odd that "bleeding hearts" is supposed to be a bad thing, if nothing at all, all people need empathy and compassion, almost all atrocities in history were caused because the people doing the terrible things had none.
    Quote Originally Posted by babyla View Post
    I find the whole "bleeding heart" thing funny. A bleeding heart is supposedly ruled and blinded by emotion that they can't see things logically?

Yet I think it's often those who are so easy to write these men off, that are really thinking with emotion rather than being able to look at the death penalty and killing of these men for what it is.

It's emotionally easier for us to say, they're bad people, they're criminals, they knew the consequences - off with their heads.

15. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to beebs For This Useful Post:

Busy-Bee  (16-02-2015),Butterfly39  (16-02-2015),HollyGolightly81  (05-03-2015),SoThisIsLove  (05-03-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Yes, I agree.
    Quote Originally Posted by VicPark View Post
    The us is a melting pot of many different mini countries all in one. They have the brightest of the brightest people. They also have some very large pockets of people stuck in the olden days (religion crazy, don't believe in science, let kids shoot guns etc). The states that have he death penalty have higher portions of less educated and socially aware people.

Have a look at the states that don't have the death penalty - New York, Maryland, Washington, D.C. Massachusetts. It's no coincidence that they have large a higher education, diplomatic and professional (as opposed to rural) presence.

This is not meant to be an attack on the US. I love yanks.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Debate thread for discussing the death penalty and the Bali 9

China has to be up there if not worse than Indonesia for human rights abuses, should we put sanctions on them too?