+ Reply to Thread
Page 8 of 39 FirstFirst ... 67891018 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    I imagine what it must be like as well, VP has often accused me of being a "bleeding heart" and I am. I can't help it. Maybe that's why I find all this vile, because I can't just think about it logically, I absolutely think about it emotionally and imagine what I would feel like.

Del, I agree with you to a point, re serial killers and peadophile rapists and the like. I don't think they should get the death sentence, but I don't think they deserve a second chance - as you say, the stats prove that far too many reoffend to even risk it. I think life in jail with no chance for parole ever. Did you see the Louis Theroux one about the peadophile prison thing in America? We should be doing things like that. Our justice system is terrible, just terrible when it comes to sexual and child assaults.

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Debate thread for discussing the death penalty and the Bali 9

I need to add in my 2c. First and foremost, I believe these poor people have suffered long enough. Imagine living the last X amount of years, knowing that you are going to be killed by firing squad with a bag over your head, while you are fully aware of what is happening. If I did that to someone on that street, that would be murder. Even if they had previously killed/raped someone and I was 'doing the world some good', it would still be murder. I know they did they crime, and they have done time. People can change. Not everyone can, but it just takes time. Surely after being locked up for that amount of time and going through what they are (esp with all the media hype), that would be rehabilitation enough. I think it is disgusting that the Australian government wants to step things up re: clemency now. They have been on death row for like 10 years. Why does the Australian government want clemency now, and is pulling out all the stops to save them....it's not like the Indonesians said 'surprise! You're facing the firing squad tomorrow' we have had 10 odd years to do something. I believe that if us as Australians had the death penalty, and we were killing two Indonesians (or another frenemy/enemy country), they would have NO qualms on blowing us up. I am a firm believer of 'if we did to them, what they do to us' that would be the end of Australia. Just like this whole Islamic BS that's happening. If we be headed one of them for no apparent reason, goodbye Australia.

3. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Edameny89 For This Useful Post:

Butterfly39  (16-02-2015),munchkin275  (01-03-2015),poisonapple  (16-02-2015)

Busy-Bee is offline Offending people since before Del :D
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Past Moderator - Thank you
    Another reason I am against the death penalty is because it means someone loses a son, daughter, mother, father, sister, brother, etc. and that person has done nothing wrong. Many years ago my then BIL went to prison for 1 week (which I have no issue with, he was in the wrong) but I was tortured with worry for that week. I barely slept and spent the days and nights consumed by thoughts worrying if he was ok. I had done nothing wrong though, I hadn't broken any laws. How must it be for a parent to have their child put to death when the parent has done nothing wrong? They will never again get to see, hold, hear, smell and love that child.

5. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Busy-Bee For This Useful Post:

beebs  (15-02-2015),Butterfly39  (16-02-2015),HeavenBlue  (16-02-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I don't really understand the outrage I've been hearing around about this. People saying we should boycott Indonesian imports, travel etc, that the Australian government should undertake sanctions.

I do feel sorry for these men, no one deserves this, their family doesn't deserve this, it's ********.

But I'll save my outrage and energy for innocent people who are killed or have crimes committed against them through no fault of their own.

No one travels to a county with the death penalty for drugs without being fully aware (they announce it over the PA on the plane!).

I just can't muster outrage about fully informed people choosing to smuggle drugs to try and make a shed load of money who got caught.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Why is ba.rbar.ic a banned word?!?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger - Thanks100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by NoteToSelf View Post
    Why is ba.rbar.ic a banned word?!?
    It used to be used all the time in the circ section in a very emotive way

Thanks
    Reviews
    Ah ok. Well there's not really any other suitable word to describe the death penalty so I'll stick with it!

10. The Following User Says Thank You to NoteToSelf For This Useful Post:

Butterfly39  (16-02-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by beebs View Post
    I thought it was funny - you should have left it! I am all for a good, robust debate - but surely we are allowed to have a laugh at the same time?
    Having a laugh at someone elses expense? Just no.. not every one has to be on your side of the fence. Making light of their opinions is just rude in a debate. We respected the 'i stand for mercy thread', so respect our opinions here.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to heplusme For This Useful Post:

beebs  (16-02-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by beebs View Post
    I imagine what it must be like as well, VP has often accused me of being a "bleeding heart" and I am. I can't help it. Maybe that's why I find all this vile, because I can't just think about it logically, I absolutely think about it emotionally and imagine what I would feel like.

Del, I agree with you to a point, re serial killers and peadophile rapists and the like. I don't think they should get the death sentence, but I don't think they deserve a second chance - as you say, the stats prove that far too many reoffend to even risk it. I think life in jail with no chance for parole ever. Did you see the Louis Theroux one about the peadophile prison thing in America? We should be doing things like that. Our justice system is terrible, just terrible when it comes to sexual and child assaults.
    I have to admit, my first thought was "bleeding heart". Some people dont think of it emotionally, which is why i can honestly say i am pro-death penalty under certain circumstances (serial killers, serial pedos). I honestly couldnt give two ****s that those people have brothers, mothers and sons...they have destroyed more lives in the victims and their families.

Scum like this are costing taxpayers more money daily then i earn daily working full time. If they are a danger to society and shouldn't be ever left out, why should i pay for them to enjoy the sunshine?

Then again if some pedo killed my baby id probably want to kill him myself-but thats a whole other thread.

Thanks
    Reviews
    As a humanitarian first and foremost that has sworn oaths to protect and preserve human life, I share the Attorney-Generals view that the execution of 2 young people after 10 years of successful rehabilitation falls nothing short of grotesque.

I sincerely hope that the efforts of the Australian Government, the legal community, and the Australian public in their appeals for clemency and the recent submission of 150,000 signatures petition is successful in saving these boys lives.

As for those chortling 'they knew the consequences' - I'm sure every single one of you would feel differently if they were your well, healthy children about to be executed imminently by a foreign firing squad.
    Last edited by Butterfly39; 16-02-2015 at 05:51.

15. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Butterfly39 For This Useful Post:

babyla  (16-02-2015),beebs  (16-02-2015),grace  (16-02-2015),HeavenBlue  (16-02-2015),munchkin275  (01-03-2015),PomPoms  (16-02-2015),SoThisIsLove  (05-03-2015),TheGooch  (16-02-2015),~Marigold~  (16-02-2015)