+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 39 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Moxy View Post
    No they're not. That why we have many human rights organizations around the world, working to raise the standard of what humans should and shouldn't be able to do to each other. It is acceptable and IMO necessary for this sort of behavior in any country, developing or developed, to be called out, criticized, and put on the world stage where we can say no, this is just not on.

The death penalty is abhorrent. End of story.
    Yes Yes Yes x 1000

Thanks
    Reviews
    No they're not. That why we have many human rights organizations around the world, working to raise the standard of what humans should and shouldn't be able to do to each other. It is acceptable and IMO necessary for this sort of behavior in any country, developing or developed, to be called out, criticized, and put on the world stage where we can say no, this is just not on.

The death penalty is abhorrent. End of story.
    That is your opinion. In Indonesia they have their opinion.

Of course we can call out another country on their actions, but can i ask why it only happens when it involves Australians?

Im sorry of this sounds harsh, but there are much bigger injustices in the world that require intervention from human rights organizations. There are thousands of woman being kidnapped, raped and denied education every day in Africa? How often do we hear about them on the news?

3. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to heplusme For This Useful Post:

HollyGolightly81  (05-03-2015),SoThisIsLove  (05-03-2015),SuperGranny  (05-03-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by heplusme View Post

Of course we can call out another country on their actions, but can i ask why it only happens when it involves Australians?

Im sorry of this sounds harsh, but there are much bigger injustices in the world that require intervention from human rights organizations. There are thousands of woman being kidnapped, raped and denied education every day in Africa? How often do we hear about them on the news?
    Straw man.

5. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to babyla For This Useful Post:

beebs  (15-02-2015),Gentoo  (15-02-2015),misskittyfantastico  (15-02-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by babyla View Post
    Straw man.
    :what:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

It's my opinion and the opinion of millions around the world.

There are an enormous amount of injustices. I agree. My response doesn't simply apply to the Bali drug runners. It encompasses all appalling human rights atrocities across the globe. I was responding to your "their house, their rules" and I refuse to accept that view. I simply refuse to accept it. There are governments all over the world committing horrors and we don't say "their house, their rules". Why should the plight of the Bali drug runners be left under that shrug of acceptance?

There is no point trying to figure out what's more important, who deserves more from human rights organizations. It's not able to be done. Human life is human life regardless of the country.

As for the news, we all know that news reporting in this country is pretty woeful. I agree, there are some incredibly news worthy incidents that don't get any coverage here. I see that as an entirely separate issue though.

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Moxy For This Useful Post:

beebs  (15-02-2015),Busy-Bee  (15-02-2015)

Busy-Bee is offline Offending people since before Del :D
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Past Moderator - Thank you
    Quote Originally Posted by BigRedV View Post
    The death penalty does not deter people from committing a crime.

Whilst I have doubts that some criminals can be rehabilitated, I will never support the death penalty. For any crime.
    I agree. I'm all for life in prison (and I mean life) but cannot support a death penalty.

I make no comment on whether they are rehabilitated or not, punishments are more than just rehabilitation. The potential harm that drug could/would have done is horrific including potential deaths.

People who are considering being a drug mule should watch a few episodes of Banged up Abroad. I have a miniscule amount of sympathy for drug runners who get caught.

My mother recently revealed to me that many years ago my eldest brother returned home after living in a different city for months. He came home an addict and she 'nursed' him through cold turkey and burnt all his drug paraphernalia. Somewhere, someone bought those drugs into the country and gave them to an impressionable teenager. Months later he returned to his parents as an addict and bought his gear with him when there were 2 small children in the house.

Quote Originally Posted by VicPark View Post
    I don't know how to say this without putting my foot in it. So I'm just going to blurt it out.

I think having the death penalty is a sign of how socially (/intellectually) backwards a place is. The death penalty generally exists where a vast portion of the population has very little/poor education.

Where there is little ability to exercise higher level reasoning and emotional intelligence, animalistic stances such as the death penalty will appeal to the masses.
    Interesting. I don't disagree with you. I think that is definitely something worthy of discussion.

Quote Originally Posted by VicPark View Post
    I believe in 'do the crime, do the time' unless the 'time' is totally f@rked!
    But who decides what's f@rked?

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Busy-Bee For This Useful Post:

BH-KatiesMum  (15-02-2015),HollyGolightly81  (05-03-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    It's my opinion and the opinion of millions around the world.

There are an enormous amount of injustices. I agree. My response doesn't simply apply to the Bali drug runners. It encompasses all appalling human rights atrocities across the globe. I was responding to your "their house, their rules" and I refuse to accept that view. I simply refuse to accept it. There are governments all over the world committing horrors and we don't say "their house, their rules". Why should the plight of the Bali drug runners be left under that shrug of acceptance?
    I get it. Im not arguing that i think its right, or that they deserve it. I have only repeatedly said that i disagree with their laws and that they are backwards. However, at the most basic level, it is "their house their rules". Ive never once said we should accept that or agree with it.

Bigger picture, at the end of the day challenging their sovereignty is dicey when they are our biggest neighbour, and one of our potential threats. There is no doubt in my mind some of this is politically motivated.

Changing the beliefs of a whole country, no matter abhorrent their beliefs are in this day and age, is never going to happen. Short of blowing the whole place up and starting again its impossible.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by HappyBovine View Post
    Ok, i read the link...But im feeling rather uneducated because i have no idea what i just read. Lol

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to heplusme For This Useful Post:

GirlsRock  (15-02-2015),HollyGolightly81  (05-03-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Ok, i read the link...But im feeling rather uneducated because i have no idea what i just read. Lol
    I only thanked your post because I read it and my head was spinning too!!! I think I'll have to read it 90 times to get my head around it. lol!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by GirlsRock View Post
    I only thanked your post because I read it and my head was spinning too!!! I think I'll have to read it 90 times to get my head around it. lol!
    Im glad it wasnt only me then. I tried to read it slowly and i still dont get it! Maybe its the universe giving me sign that its time to switch off and take my preggo brained butt to bed