+ Reply to Thread
Page 30 of 39 FirstFirst ... 202829303132 ... LastLast
Results 291 to 300 of 387
  1. #291
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Location
    At home
    Posts
    1,396
    Thanks
    601
    Thanked
    1,398
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I will admit that as a person with a non-addictive personality i struggle with the idea of drug users not having a choice. I believe everyone has a choice, for me, its dont shove it down your gob. What to quit smoking? Dont buy them. Want to quit drinking? Dont drink.

    I cant get past that these men had a choice. In fact they made four choices, they were just unlucky that Rush intervened the last time. I believe they would have done it again if they didnt get caught. They were in it for an easy pay day.

    In saying that, before this goes around in circles again, i have no wish for them to die. I think that is too full on. Its just that i know many countries practise it so it's no surprise. Women are stoned publicly in some countries for suspicion of being a witch, or looking at someone their husband doesnt like. Its these innocent cases that get my back up the most. I find it hard to have trust/forgiveness/compassion for criminals no matter what level.

    I have violent drug addicts in my family and i walked away from them all, and wouldnt speak a word to them if i saw them in the street. Heartless? Maybe. But after seeing them in jail time and time again for attacking innocent people for money for their fix you get pretty jaded towards 'rehabilitation'. They get out of jail and go straight home to steal someone elses property to sell... and they have been off drugs for months in jail-its hard for me to see that as the addiction as they would have weaned. Their faces are literally melting off and their teeth have long gone.
    Maybe this personal experience explains why i personally believe its a choice? I dunno.

    Am i against the death penalty? No. Get rid of all the murderers and rapists and pedos. I think the legal system in Australia is a joke and that far too many people are set free under the guise of 'rehabilitation'.
    We dont 'rehabilitate' dangerous animals, so why do we think we can do it with ****ed up people? God you cant even get a rapist thrown in jail these days they make it so hard on the victim. It makes me sick.

    This post is coming from a place of explaining my stance. Im not just digging my heels in the ground for no reason, its an issue that i think could go around in circles forever as personal experience plays such a big part on your emotions and beliefs when it comes to criminal activity.

  2. The Following User Says Thank You to heplusme For This Useful Post:

    Amgine  (07-03-2015)

  3. #292
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Location
    Arncliffe, Sydney
    Posts
    97
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked
    39
    Reviews
    0
    Am I the only one who is sick and tired of this saga and all the media sensationalism?

    I think it's hypocritical that we have candle light vigils for 2 convicted drug smugglers and crying about their pending execution as a human rights violation when our political system condones refugee detention and all the other stuff done to refugees which is a violation of human rights too!

    Anyway that's my two cents!

  4. The Following User Says Thank You to netispaghetti For This Useful Post:

    HollyGolightly81  (07-03-2015)

  5. #293
    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Posts
    419
    Thanks
    268
    Thanked
    315
    Reviews
    0
    Deleted ☺
    Last edited by RaraMum; 07-03-2015 at 09:45.

  6. #294
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    7,878
    Thanks
    3,397
    Thanked
    5,160
    Reviews
    8
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by netispaghetti View Post
    Am I the only one who is sick and tired of this saga and all the media sensationalism?

    I think it's hypocritical that we have candle light vigils for 2 convicted drug smugglers and crying about their pending execution as a human rights violation when our political system condones refugee detention and all the other stuff done to refugees which is a violation of human rights too!

    Anyway that's my two cents!
    It's not hypocritical - both are worthy issues of discussion and debate. I'm as appalled about the refugee situation as I am about this.

  7. The Following User Says Thank You to babyla For This Useful Post:

    beebs  (07-03-2015)

  8. #295
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Location
    At home
    Posts
    1,396
    Thanks
    601
    Thanked
    1,398
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Thank you for sharing that! I think its good to see that its not like we feel the way we do for no reason. Experience shapes everything...it doesnt make us better or worse people just because your on one side of the fence

  9. The Following User Says Thank You to heplusme For This Useful Post:

    RaraMum  (07-03-2015)

  10. #296
    harvs's Avatar
    harvs is offline Winner 2014 - Spirit of BubHub Award
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    9,994
    Thanks
    6,239
    Thanked
    15,889
    Reviews
    1
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/4/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 2/4/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 19/3/15Busiest Member of the Week200 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by netispaghetti View Post
    Am I the only one who is sick and tired of this saga and all the media sensationalism?

    I think it's hypocritical that we have candle light vigils for 2 convicted drug smugglers and crying about their pending execution as a human rights violation when our political system condones refugee detention and all the other stuff done to refugees which is a violation of human rights too!

    Anyway that's my two cents!
    I would bet money that most people that are distressed about the death penalty are also distressed about the refugee system.

    I for one don't take responsibility for our political system :-) I don't think it makes me a hypocrite to have opinions on both.

  11. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to harvs For This Useful Post:

    beebs  (07-03-2015),Catzilla  (07-03-2015),RaraMum  (07-03-2015),TheGooch  (07-03-2015)

  12. #297
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    4,222
    Thanks
    894
    Thanked
    3,218
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by heplusme View Post

    I cant get past that these men had a choice. In fact they made four choices, they were just unlucky that Rush intervened the last time. I believe they would have done it again if they didnt get caught. They were in it for an easy pay day.

    In saying that, before this goes around in circles again, i have no wish for them to die. I think that is too full on. Its just that i know many countries practise it so it's no surprise. Women are stoned publicly in some countries for suspicion of being a witch, or looking at someone their husband doesnt like. Its these innocent cases that get my back up the most. I find it hard to have trust/forgiveness/compassion for criminals no matter what level.
    Quote Originally Posted by netispaghetti View Post
    Am I the only one who is sick and tired of this saga and all the media sensationalism?

    I think it's hypocritical that we have candle light vigils for 2 convicted drug smugglers and crying about their pending execution as a human rights violation when our political system condones refugee detention and all the other stuff done to refugees which is a violation of human rights too!

    Anyway that's my two cents!
    I am a fence sitter on the Bali 9 duo, and these 2 quotes pretty much sum up my thoughts. They are criminals. No, they don't deserve to die, but they are convicted criminals who are 100% guilty... I find it kind of... unsettling... that so much emotion and effort is going in to saving them, that complete strangers are shedding tears for them, holding candlelight vigils... when they are criminals. I imagine the situation if they were to come home, people cheering and jumping up and down for joy, the media circus at the airport when they arrive... why are they much loved celebrities, when they are criminals? If they weren't caught, they'd probably still be doing it, I think they only 'rehabilitated' because they had nothing else to do, or maybe their lawyer suggested it to get leniency.

    I probably sound like a cold-hearted b!tch, and maybe I am, but I just can't seem to find a way to support these 2 getting let off, without it seeming inappropriate to my sensibilities. I do think how they've been handled is getting to be horrible, with this being dragged out for so long, but I just can't bring myself to go and get upset over it. :/

  13. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to CMF For This Useful Post:

    Amgine  (07-03-2015),becca022  (07-03-2015),Busy-Bee  (07-03-2015),heplusme  (07-03-2015),HollyGolightly81  (07-03-2015)

  14. #298
    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Posts
    419
    Thanks
    268
    Thanked
    315
    Reviews
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by CMF View Post
    I am a fence sitter on the Bali 9 duo, and these 2 quotes pretty much sum up my thoughts. They are criminals. No, they don't deserve to die, but they are convicted criminals who are 100% guilty... I find it kind of... unsettling... that so much emotion and effort is going in to saving them, that complete strangers are shedding tears for them, holding candlelight vigils... when they are criminals. I imagine the situation if they were to come home, people cheering and jumping up and down for joy, the media circus at the airport when they arrive... why are they much loved celebrities, when they are criminals? If they weren't caught, they'd probably still be doing it, I think they only 'rehabilitated' because they had nothing else to do, or maybe their lawyer suggested it to get leniency.

    I probably sound like a cold-hearted b!tch, and maybe I am, but I just can't seem to find a way to support these 2 getting let off, without it seeming inappropriate to my sensibilities. I do think how they've been handled is getting to be horrible, with this being dragged out for so long, but I just can't bring myself to go and get upset over it. :/
    Im not crying for them, I wont cheer if they get moved back here, I'm honestly not praying for them, they are criminals but I still don't think they deserve to die. Lock them up. Most other boys involved got life in prison. Give them the same then. Thry werent "ring leaders" just the 2 with the higher connection.

  15. #299
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Posts
    263
    Thanks
    567
    Thanked
    141
    Reviews
    0
    I don't agree with the death penalty for these two either, nor for the crime they committed especially when those filthy Bali bombing terrorists are walking around free (or at least alive in one of the cases).

    But I wonder a few things:

    1) If they had come to Australia and been caught, would they have received a decent sentence for their crime? And then, would they have "reformed" like they are said to have reformed? Would they have the same desperation to "change for the good"? Or would they be out again having another go?

    2) Didn't they take the risk? It is widely known... the laws that these countries impose.
    As sick as this all is, the Bali 9 basically said f&$* you to these countries for self gain, they thought they could "beat the system".

    3) The people who choose to inject drugs, may just be children/teenagers from abusive homes that are trying to escape or a woman who has her drink spiked before she is raped. Are these the ones that should share the blame with drug dealers/smugglers/Bali 9 clowns?

    4) I don't like or agree with the laws of these countries (Indonesia, Malaysia, Singapore, Iran, Iraq, UAE....) so, I don't go there.
    Also, I don't make the backward decision to try to "fix my life/make my life better/increase my finances" by getting into illegal activities.


    5) I wonder how people would feel if it was their child/teenager that had OD from drugs that they were encouraged/pushed/forced to take? I mean, I see a lot of comments on here about teenagers not having fully mature brains and needing support and guidance... So what if these young teenagers OD in front of their parent? I'll bet the emotions/ the guilt/the blame/the hatred of the suppliers would guide the wish for the drug suppliers to suffer like they had watching their child die?


    Again, I don't agree in the sentence. I just wonder.

  16. #300
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Posts
    2,121
    Thanks
    217
    Thanked
    758
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CMF View Post
    I am a fence sitter on the Bali 9 duo, and these 2 quotes pretty much sum up my thoughts. They are criminals. No, they don't deserve to die, but they are convicted criminals who are 100% guilty... I find it kind of... unsettling... that so much emotion and effort is going in to saving them, that complete strangers are shedding tears for them, holding candlelight vigils... when they are criminals. I imagine the situation if they were to come home, people cheering and jumping up and down for joy, the media circus at the airport when they arrive... why are they much loved celebrities, when they are criminals? If they weren't caught, they'd probably still be doing it, I think they only 'rehabilitated' because they had nothing else to do, or maybe their lawyer suggested it to get leniency.
    Im feeling pretty much this. I don't understand their 'celebrity status' for being criminals? It's really just another Schapelle Corby (or however u spell that woman's name)
    To me they are criminals. They knew the risks. Do I believe they deserve the death sentence? I'm not actually sure.

  17. The Following User Says Thank You to Hasselhoff For This Useful Post:

    Amgine  (07-03-2015)


 

Similar Threads

  1. Bali
    By Myztiks#1Fan in forum General Chat
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 05-01-2015, 11:50
  2. Bali
    By Moltone in forum Destination Suggestions
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 03-06-2014, 15:10
  3. Discussing skin colour with 3 year old.
    By Ashram in forum General Parenting Tips, Advice & Chat
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 01-04-2014, 19:59

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
free weekly newsletters | sign up now!
who are these people who write great posts? meet our hubbub authors!
Learn how you can contribute to the hubbub!

reviews
learn how you can become a reviewer!

competitions

forum - chatting now
christmas gift guidesee all Red Stocking
Nice Pak Products
Australian Made and Owned. The Baby U Goat Milk Skincare range is enriched with soothing goats milk sourced from country, Victoria. Goat's milk has a pH level close to that of our own skin and contains natural sources of amino acids and vitamins.
sales & new stuffsee all
Wendys Music School Melbourne
Wondering about Music Lessons? FREE 30 minute ASSESSMENT. Find out if your child is ready! Piano from age 3 years & Guitar, Singing, Drums, Violin from age 5. Lessons available for all ages. 35+ years experience. Structured program.
Use referral 'bubhub' when booking
featured supporter
TPS Health Physiotherapy and Pilates
TPS Health Physiotherapy and Pilates has three clinics located at Morningside, Redlands and Lutwyche. We offer pre and post natal services as well as physiotherapy and Pilates. All clinics offer child minding services so bubs are always welcome!
gotcha
X

Pregnant for the first-time?

Not sure where to start? We can help!

Our Insider Programs for pregnancy first-timers will lead you step-by-step through the 14 Pregnancy Must Dos!