+ Reply to Thread
Page 23 of 39 FirstFirst ... 13212223242533 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Debate thread for discussing the death penalty and the Bali 9

Quote Originally Posted by beebs View Post
    Hmmm, it's interesting, and they are right in they couldn't detain them before they left for Indonesia. My question is why didn't they let them board the plane and arrest them here? Surely we had more of a reason to do that, they weren't trafficking drugs into Indonesia, they were trafficking them here, so why couldn't we deal with the matter?
    Yes I agree. This seems to be what a lot of Australians are wondering, yet this media release does nothing to address that issue.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to ArthurDent For This Useful Post:

beebs  (06-03-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I don't believe in the death penalty.

In saying that, those that smuggle drugs into and through Indonesia know the risks. If they still decide to go ahead with it anyway, what happens next is really on them. I know that sounds horrible, but honestly, so many people die every day because of drugs, including legal ones...smugglers and dealers are responsible for every person that dies because of what they sell/distribute. I don't agree with them being killed and I don't agree with the way things have been handled, but that's their law and no one can do anything about that.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by ArthurDent View Post
    Yes I agree. This seems to be what a lot of Australians are wondering, yet this media release does nothing to address that issue.
    If you read the second link, this is the exact argument that those that were convicted are using in their case against the AFP

Sent from my GT-I9507 using The Bub Hub mobile app

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hmmm, it's interesting, and they are right in they couldn't detain them before they left for Indonesia. My question is why didn't they let them board the plane and arrest them here? Surely we had more of a reason to do that, they weren't trafficking drugs into Indonesia, they were trafficking them here, so why couldn't we deal with the matter?
    I don't understand why its the AFPs job to babysit them? They broke the law in that country. These men are nothing but another number who smuggled drugs to them. They aren't psychic, they didn't know their past or future. Fact is they were just more crossed 'T's and dotted 'i's. They were doing their jobs.

You cannot expect the police to turn a blind eye and not do their jobs for the sake of leniency to one case? What happens when it gets out they let them home for the convenience of the criminal, Aus police are deemed internationally weak and every other criminal who breaks the law overseas expects the same treatment? Then everyone would be on forums whining about how unsafe we are because our AFP are incompetent.

Its a no win situation for the police.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to heplusme For This Useful Post:

Rocky27  (06-03-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Were they smuggling drugs to Indonesia, no. Were they smuggling drugs to Australia? Yes they were, I see know reason why they couldn't be charged on our end. No one is saying that they shouldn't be punished, but the death penalty is a breach of human rights. they were smuggling drugs here so they should have been dealt with here.

Quote Originally Posted by heplusme View Post
    I don't understand why its the AFPs job to babysit them? They broke the law in that country. These men are nothing but another number who smuggled drugs to them. They aren't psychic, they didn't know their past or future. Fact is they were just more crossed 'T's and dotted 'i's. They were doing their jobs.

You cannot expect the police to turn a blind eye and not do their jobs for the sake of leniency to one case? What happens when it gets out they let them home for the convenience of the criminal, Aus police are deemed internationally weak and every other criminal who breaks the law overseas expects the same treatment? Then everyone would be on forums whining about how unsafe we are because our AFP are incompetent.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Were they smuggling drugs to Indonesia, no. Were they smuggling drugs to Australia? Yes they were, I see know reason why they couldn't be charged on our end. No one is saying that they shouldn't be punished, but the death penalty is a breach of human rights. they were smuggling drugs here so they should have been dealt with here.
    It is also illegal to possess drugs. If they knew they had drugs, and they were allowed to board the plane the AFP would have been taking ownership of their actions whilst on that flight. Then hope they dont dispose of the drugs on the flight.

Again, why is it the AFPs job to babysit criminals? They broke the law.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by hopeful1986 View Post
    ..smugglers and dealers are responsible for every person that dies because of what they sell/distribute.
    No . They share the blame with the people that choose to ingest that crap in the first place. That's one of the reasons why I am against the death penalty in this case - because the 'victims' share such a large degree of culpability.

10. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to VicPark For This Useful Post:

beebs  (06-03-2015),calicocat  (06-03-2015),GlitterFarts  (06-03-2015),Ra Ra Superstar  (06-03-2015),Tinkers  (06-03-2015),yadot  (06-03-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week

Default Debate thread for discussing the death penalty and the Bali 9

How would letting the Bali nine get on the plane in Indonesia and arresting them in OZ create anarchy? I think jail in OZ in order to escape the death penalty overseas would have been a compromise the majority of Australians would be happy with..
    Last edited by VicPark; 06-03-2015 at 14:13.

12. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to VicPark For This Useful Post:

beebs  (06-03-2015),harvs  (06-03-2015),~Marigold~  (06-03-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    It is also illegal to possess drugs. If they knew they had drugs, and they were allowed to board the plane the AFP would have been taking ownership of their actions whilst on that flight. Then hope they dont dispose of the drugs on the flight.

Again, why is it the AFPs job to babysit criminals? They broke the law.
    It's not about babysitting criminals. It's about not taking part in a course if action that will likely lead to an appalling abuse of human rights.

14. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to VicPark For This Useful Post:

beebs  (06-03-2015),snowqu33n  (06-03-2015),~Marigold~  (06-03-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by VicPark View Post
    How would letting the Bali mine get on the plane in Indonesia and arresting them in OZ create anarchy? I think jail in OZ in order to escape he death penalty overseas would have been a compromise the majority of Australians would be happy with..
    Because it sets a precedence. Fact is, they were doing their jobs as they are required. They weren't the ones breaking the law. Blaming them for the actions of others is unjust.