+ Reply to Thread
Page 21 of 39 FirstFirst ... 11192021222331 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Totally agree Miss Muppet-great point. The Indonesians are so anti the actual killing process that they employ 10 executioners, 8 of who will have blanks in their pistols. When they all shoot at the same time the theory is that the actual "killer/s" won't know and therefore feel the guilt/grief etc. of their job.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to tootsiegirl For This Useful Post:

MissMuppet  (05-03-2015)

~Marigold~ is offline You make me happy, when skies are grey
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Just saw the pictures of Andrew and Myrun (sp) from their transportation journey to death. Can I just say that I have officially lost all faith in humanity. Well, in Indonesia, anyway. It is just incomprehensible that two men of sound mind, healthy, robust men, are going to be taken out and shot to death like dogs.
    I haven't read much of this thread, I've tried to avoid it. But that made me feel guilty this morning, I can't just turn a blind eye because it hurts too much, I need to see/watch and feel the emotions of the world right now, because if we all just flicked off the news all hope for society will be completely lost.

For the record (and I've never revealed this, ever) heroin has completely savaged more than one very close family member. I know the heartache and can sympathise with the families of addicts; I AM the family of addicts. But I STILL don't and will NEVER condone the murder of another human being, it totally goes against every fibre in my body.

Just found out yesterday that the execution involves 10 gunmen, of which only one will have an actual loaded gun. They aim for the heart. The victim is often left to die painfully as death is not always instant. In the last execution the person took 6 minutes to die.
    If they are not dead within ten minutes, it is a bullet to the back of the head.
    To all of you saying you support this ******** act, could you pull the trigger?
    Last edited by ~Marigold~; 05-03-2015 at 07:03.

4. The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to ~Marigold~ For This Useful Post:

atomicmama  (05-03-2015),beebs  (05-03-2015),calicocat  (06-03-2015),DreamyMummy  (05-03-2015),Gentoo  (05-03-2015),harvs  (05-03-2015),MissMuppet  (05-03-2015),poisonapple  (05-03-2015),SoThisIsLove  (05-03-2015),TimTamsandTea  (05-03-2015),VicPark  (05-03-2015)

harvs is offline Winner 2014 - Spirit of BubHub Award
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/4/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 2/4/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 19/3/15Busiest Member of the Week200 Posts in a week
    Big hugs ~Marigold~ xx

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to harvs For This Useful Post:

beebs  (05-03-2015),~Marigold~  (05-03-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Blessedwith3boys View Post
    Sorry I just don't think they deserve anything less than the sentence given to them. Not only were they smuggling drugs they had provided money, airline tickets and accommodation to drug mules. They knew damn well what they were doing and they would have known the risk of being caught and the penalty in Indonesia. They were in this much deeper than just the smuggling, probably not the first time they had done it either. They need to accept their fate as does everyone else.
    Thankfully this is a discussion/debate thread and you are entitled to your opinion. And so am I. My opinion regarding your post is that it's absolutely abhorrent and disgusting. I'd be thoroughly ashamed of myself if this was my mindset and way of thinking.

8. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to ~Marigold~ For This Useful Post:

ArthurDent  (05-03-2015),beebs  (05-03-2015),MummaCat  (05-03-2015),Ra Ra Superstar  (05-03-2015),TimTamsandTea  (05-03-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by harvs View Post
    Big hugs ~Marigold~ xx
    Thankyou my dear x

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/4/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 2/4/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 19/3/15Busiest Member of the Week200 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by Blessedwith3boys View Post
    Sorry I just don't think they deserve anything less than the sentence given to them. Not only were they smuggling drugs they had provided money, airline tickets and accommodation to drug mules. They knew damn well what they were doing and they would have known the risk of being caught and the penalty in Indonesia. They were in this much deeper than just the smuggling, probably not the first time they had done it either. They need to accept their fate as does everyone else.
    Maybe they only employ AFP officers who feel this way as well? Perhaps it is considered as being able to dissociate from the crime iykwim?

Sorry to quote this post again, still trying to understand the AFP action in all of this and it's the best I can come up with. That they just wanted to catch the criminals and they deserve what they get.

Because if I were in the AFP I would be sitting there agonising over this when it was a family member trying to help their child in the first place. Gosh it makes me teary just thinking about it.

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to harvs For This Useful Post:

beebs  (05-03-2015),~Marigold~  (06-03-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Forgive my lack of knowledge surrounding the whole Bali 9 stuff.. But could they not have been extradited to Australia for some breaking a law here previously? I know they got caught over there trying to smuggle the drugs out. But surely they had a fair bit to do with the supply in the drug scene here in Australia prior to that?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hmm... I am in two minds about this issue.
    I do agree that these men should be punished in Indonesia. If these men had of gotten away with it they would have bought fancy cars and done it again. I understand Indonesia's harsh punishments for drug smugglers. The country is marred by drugs. I also believe Australia is far too relaxed on sentencing times. These men committed an inexcusable crime. They were selfish and definitely old enough to understand the consequences.

Do I believe they deserve to die? No.

I think the method of execution is outdated and bar.baric. Initially I questioned the 10 years they spend in prison before their execution, but this apparently is due to the extensive appeal process that was undertaken. I also value that is important for Australia to remain on relatively good terms with Indonesia. I don't think threats are the way to solve this issue.

I do not think they should be brought back to Australia. Life imprisonment I think is appropriate.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    I'd been avoiding this thread. One, because I don't have the energy to debate. Two, because I wasn't really sure how I felt. Three, I'm pretty far removed from it and only know about it all from the hub and Australian news (which I rarely read) as it's not really in the news much over here.

I started out on heplusme's team but now I'm more towards babyla's and beebs.' Pretty much on the fence as I see both sides. But me and my bleeding heart...

I personally am not for the death penalty but for a couple of different reasons than what has been listed here.

1) it's a HUGE waste of taxpayers money. In the states' it costs more to sentence somebody to death than life in prison (appeals, etc). So the argument that we're wasting our money keeping them alive in prison is null and void.

2). When you sentence somebody to death (and I'm mostly talking in the case of crimes of violence against others) you are making them 'the cause.' All of the sudden it's not about fighting for justice for the victims, it's about fighting for the life of the perpetrator. Sentence them to life and they waste away in prison, forgotten. That is how it should be, not making their lives a cause that people fight for.

It's late here and I need to sign off this thread but I do hope I wake to some good news. I do believe they should have to deal with a 'harsh' sentence as they committed a crime with extreme sentences in the country they were in. BUT, I don't believe that should be death.

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to HollyGolightly81 For This Useful Post:

beebs  (05-03-2015),GlitterFarts  (05-03-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Quote Originally Posted by btmac View Post
    Harvs you know I love you and I'm sorry if I've misunderstood you - but please don't malign the men and women who put their lives on the line everyday.

When a police officer (at whatever level federal, state etc...) starts making decisions that are not in keeping with the law as it is written, as they have sworn to uphold they themselves have crossed the line. Even when that decision may be seen by many as compassionate or 'good'. If that decision has been made by an individual contrary to the law they must uphold.

The whole system relies on these men and women doing what the law states - they don't make the laws they enforce them and yes at times their actions can have lifelong impact on themselves and their families. Yes they will carry the burden of the consequences of carrying out their duties for a lifetime.
    Oh I'm not maligning them at all! You are absolutely right and I'm sorry it came across that way.

I guess I'm just curious because of their lack of public statement about why they acted the way they did when it feels like they could have arrested them in Australia? And then it led me to thinking about how it would feel to have been in that position to make that call and whether they would be feeling conflicted or not iykwim?

All the cops I have ever known personally would think of them as filthy criminals who get what they deserved. So then that led to me thinking maybe it's a necessary part of that job to be able to disassociate yourself from the 'bleeding heart' side of it.

Sorry that I was so clumsy there x