+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 39 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 387
  1. #11
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Location
    At home
    Posts
    1,396
    Thanks
    601
    Thanked
    1,398
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Apple iPhart6 View Post
    It feels like a show of force.
    It very well could be.

    I personally do not feel compassion for these men. I dont necessarily agree with the fact that they are being killed for that particular crime, but they knew that breaking the law of that country could result in that outcome. Even at 21 you understand cause and effect.

    The line for me is blurred when it comes to the death penalty. On one hand i feel its outdated, but on the other hand, id rather know that pedophiles, murderers and other hardcore crims were not on the streets in 10 years like the current Aus system allows.

    It boggles me that people are so quick to kill animals when usually they are acting out of instinct and cant defend themselves (sharks, dogs) but when a human, who has no natural instinct to kill, kills we let them out to grab a Boost Juice in 14 years.

    Either way, Indonesia is a developing country. The whole place is outdated. Its no surprise their laws are backwards too.

  2. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to heplusme For This Useful Post:

    A-Squared  (16-02-2015),Aanya  (16-02-2015),CompareTheMeerkat  (15-02-2015),LaDiDah  (15-02-2015),slipper  (15-02-2015),SuperGranny  (05-03-2015)

  3. #12
    harvs's Avatar
    harvs is offline Winner 2014 - Spirit of BubHub Award
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    9,994
    Thanks
    6,239
    Thanked
    15,889
    Reviews
    1
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/4/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 2/4/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 19/3/15Busiest Member of the Week200 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by Hollywood View Post
    They knew the possible outcome of getting caught when they did it, so I'm finding it hard to have any sympathy for them. I don't personally agree with the death penalty though.
    That's the part I don't understand though? If you're anti death penalty then why does it matter if they knew the potential outcome? Does knowing that the consequence of your actions may result in the death penalty therefore make the death penalty ok?

    I mean essentially I agree with you. Every time I've been on a plane that touches down in one of these nations and you get the whole spiel about the punishment for trafficking drugs being death, I stop and wonder why anyone would risk their life like that. I do kind of understand when people say 'well they knew what they were getting into'. But that's a different argument and it implies that if they knew the consequence, well that makes the death penalty ok, doesn't it?

  4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to harvs For This Useful Post:

    babyla  (15-02-2015),beebs  (15-02-2015),TheGooch  (15-02-2015)

  5. #13
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    1,403
    Thanks
    760
    Thanked
    559
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Awesome Queen of Amazingtown View Post
    That's the part I don't understand though? If you're anti death penalty then why does it matter if they knew the potential outcome? Does knowing that the consequence of your actions may result in the death penalty therefore make the death penalty ok?

    I mean essentially I agree with you. Every time I've been on a plane that touches down in one of these nations and you get the whole spiel about the punishment for trafficking drugs being death, I stop and wonder why anyone would risk their life like that. I do kind of understand when people say 'well they knew what they were getting into'. But that's a different argument and it implies that if they knew the consequence, well that makes the death penalty ok, doesn't it?
    People, and young men in particularly, seem to take this kind of risk every day though.

    Drink driving, buying random drugs from strangers etc. All behaviours that can kill you and yet they still do it. I have no idea why, some people just seem to think that it won't happen to them?

  6. #14
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Location
    At home
    Posts
    1,396
    Thanks
    601
    Thanked
    1,398
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Awesome Queen of Amazingtown View Post
    That's the part I don't understand though? If you're anti death penalty then why does it matter if they knew the potential outcome? Does knowing that the consequence of your actions may result in the death penalty therefore make the death penalty ok?
    It matters because we have no control over another countries laws, and whether we are anti or pro makes no difference. It was their actions that lead to that outcome.

    Back to my animal example, they dont know any kind of consequence... yet people will physically hunt them down and slaughter them. Do we as humans only think its acceptable to kill things that are weaker then us?

  7. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to heplusme For This Useful Post:

    beebs  (15-02-2015),HollyGolightly81  (05-03-2015),SuperGranny  (05-03-2015)

  8. #15
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    7,878
    Thanks
    3,397
    Thanked
    5,160
    Reviews
    8
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ArthurDent View Post
    People, and young men in particularly, seem to take this kind of risk every day though.

    Drink driving, buying random drugs from strangers etc. All behaviours that can kill you and yet they still do it. I have no idea why, some people just seem to think that it won't happen to them?
    It has to do with the brain development in regards to risk assessment in the male brain. Apparently this is not fully developed until 25 which is why young men seem to be so risk averse.

  9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to babyla For This Useful Post:

    ArthurDent  (15-02-2015),beebs  (15-02-2015)

  10. #16
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Gippsland
    Posts
    14,653
    Thanks
    1,207
    Thanked
    3,832
    Reviews
    2
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Awesome Queen of Amazingtown View Post
    That's the part I don't understand though? If you're anti death penalty then why does it matter if they knew the potential outcome? Does knowing that the consequence of your actions may result in the death penalty therefore make the death penalty ok?

    I mean essentially I agree with you. Every time I've been on a plane that touches down in one of these nations and you get the whole spiel about the punishment for trafficking drugs being death, I stop and wonder why anyone would risk their life like that. I do kind of understand when people say 'well they knew what they were getting into'. But that's a different argument and it implies that if they knew the consequence, well that makes the death penalty ok, doesn't it?
    The penalty in THAT country is death. I disagree with the death penalty but that's the law there and they knew that, yet they still did it.

  11. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Hollywood For This Useful Post:

    heplusme  (15-02-2015),HollyGolightly81  (05-03-2015),SuperGranny  (05-03-2015)

  12. #17
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    7,878
    Thanks
    3,397
    Thanked
    5,160
    Reviews
    8
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    The whole - they knew the consequences so suffer in ya jocks argument is really frustrating and a somewhat simplistic way to look at this issue.

    The discussion is bigger than that, it's around whether people can be rehabilitated and still make a worthwhile contribution, the notion of consistent sentencing, the purpose of a penal system, use of death sentences as deterrent...

    We know they did it, we know they knew the consequences - it stunts the debate to get caught up on this.

  13. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to babyla For This Useful Post:

    ArthurDent  (15-02-2015),beebs  (15-02-2015),GirlsRock  (15-02-2015),MrsSS  (15-02-2015),Night Owl  (15-02-2015),TheGooch  (15-02-2015),VicPark  (15-02-2015)

  14. #18
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Location
    At home
    Posts
    1,396
    Thanks
    601
    Thanked
    1,398
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by babyla View Post
    The whole - they knew the consequences so suffer in ya jocks argument is really frustrating and a somewhat simplistic way to look at this issue.

    The discussion is bigger than that, it's around whether people can be rehabilitated and still make a worthwhile contribution, the notion of consistent sentencing, the purpose of a penal system, use of death sentences as deterrent...

    We know they did it, we know they knew the consequences - it stunts the debate to get caught up on this.
    Ok, well to keep things moving. No, i dont believe people can be rehabilitated and make worthwhile contributions.

  15. #19
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    7,878
    Thanks
    3,397
    Thanked
    5,160
    Reviews
    8
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by heplusme View Post
    Ok, well to keep things moving. No, i dont believe people can be rehabilitated and make worthwhile contributions.
    Nobody can be rehabilitated? On any level?

  16. #20
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Location
    At home
    Posts
    1,396
    Thanks
    601
    Thanked
    1,398
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by babyla View Post
    Nobody can be rehabilitated? On any level?
    We arnt talking about any level. We are talking about the level that warrants the death penalty. So yes, that is my opinion.


 

Similar Threads

  1. Bali
    By Myztiks#1Fan in forum General Chat
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 05-01-2015, 11:50
  2. Bali
    By Moltone in forum Destination Suggestions
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 03-06-2014, 15:10
  3. Discussing skin colour with 3 year old.
    By Ashram in forum General Parenting Tips, Advice & Chat
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 01-04-2014, 19:59

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
free weekly newsletters | sign up now!
who are these people who write great posts? meet our hubbub authors!
Learn how you can contribute to the hubbub!

reviews
learn how you can become a reviewer!

competitions

forum - chatting now
christmas gift guidesee all Red Stocking
Tambo Teddies
Visit our online store and select your individually handmade natural sheepskin teddy bear. Our soft and loveable bears come in a range of styles and colours. Created in Outback Queensland each bear is unique individual. 100% Australian made!
sales & new stuffsee all
Bub Hub Sales Listing
HAVING A SALE? Let parents know about it with a Bub Hub Sales listing. Listings are featured on our well trafficked Sales Page + selected randomly to appear on EVERY page
featured supporter
ProSwim
ProSwim Rostrevor runs learn to swim classes for children and adults. Lessons are run during the Summer months (Oct-Mar). Our indoor centre at Plympton Park has lessons all year round, including school holidays.
gotcha
X

Pregnant for the first-time?

Not sure where to start? We can help!

Our Insider Programs for pregnancy first-timers will lead you step-by-step through the 14 Pregnancy Must Dos!