+ Reply to Thread
Page 19 of 39 FirstFirst ... 9171819202129 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    I agree with everything you've said pretty much, although I don't believe in the death penalty. But life sentences without the chance of parole fir sex offenders and paedophiles, yup. The rates of reoffending are just too high to take the risk. Our sentences are am absolute joke!
    Quote Originally Posted by sweetpeamummy View Post
    I'm just sad for their families and friends and the terror they must be going through. They must regret their stupid decision.
    I also would like to see an inquest into the AFP. As Australians we should have faith that we can call upon the law enforcement to help us and Scott Rush's dad was asking for help, instead he was thrown under the bus.
    I do believe in the death penalty for anybody who hurts children and violates women. Those monsters don't seem to rehabilitate in my opinion.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to beebs For This Useful Post:

tootsiegirl  (03-03-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by grumpysmurf View Post
    I see at least two big issues with this idea though
    One is that are we happy with that here? If someone visits australia from a country where rape is legal, and then rapes some women while he is here. Are we happy to send him home and allow his country to let him go as rape is legal in his country? I personally am not. I would want to see punishment that we impose here.

Two) if australian drug traffickers were to be punishable only by australian laws ( which compared to some countries are somewhat lenient) then Australians trafficking into and out of countries with very harsh penalties would become a very lucrative thing. Do we really that?
    I've been reading your response a number of times to try and word my response correctly.

I totally understand and see your point of view but I guess I'm maybe coming from a new mummy with rose glasses standpoint, in the context of my ds for example, if he breaks the rules in someone else's house I would not be happy if they thought it well to "punish" him. I do not agree with smacking etc whereas they may. I would prefer that i provide the punishment.

But then seeing your arguments I do agree but also disagree. I hate seeing the harshness of penalties that our citizens face for what can be deemed a "minor" crime. For example; the Bali 9, life imprisonment and death for passing through a country with drugs. The punishment is not fitting the crime imo

Sent from my GT-I9507 using The Bub Hub mobile app

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by munchkin275 View Post
    I've been reading your response a number of times to try and word my response correctly.

I totally understand and see your point of view but I guess I'm maybe coming from a new mummy with rose glasses standpoint, in the context of my ds for example, if he breaks the rules in someone else's house I would not be happy if they thought it well to "punish" him. I do not agree with smacking etc whereas they may. I would prefer that i provide the punishment.

But then seeing your arguments I do agree but also disagree. I hate seeing the harshness of penalties that our citizens face for what can be deemed a "minor" crime. For example; the Bali 9, life imprisonment and death for passing through a country with drugs. The punishment is not fitting the crime imo

Sent from my GT-I9507 using The Bub Hub mobile app
    Yeah I see what you're saying and I do agree that I don't think the punishment fits the crime either. I've seen stories of Australians being punished by other countries laws that seem ludicrous numerous times. I don't really know what the answer is here. I was just responding to another poster that I felt each country applying their own punishments to their citizens kinda doesn't work either.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I'm probably going to get flamed for this....but what type of religious group supports the mass murder of people? I've read that both groups Nahdlatul Ulama and
    Muhammadiyah in Indonesia fully support Widodo killing these men and all drug traffickers due to be executed.

I'm really gobsmacked that leaders of a religious group would come out and support murder. That's so screwed up.
    Last edited by Night Owl; 04-03-2015 at 00:43.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Night Owl For This Useful Post:

beebs  (04-03-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    So...just heard on a news update that the Indonesian government may be softening??? I missed the rest-did I hear this correctly that despite being transferred that there may still be hope?

I was somewhat in awe of the reported demeanor of the 2 men...I don't know how they managed to even make their legs function.

harvs is offline Winner 2014 - Spirit of BubHub Award
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/4/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 2/4/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 19/3/15Busiest Member of the Week200 Posts in a week
    I don't understand how people can be completely unmoved by this. I read this thread and comments on other social media and I intellectually understand some of the opinions being stated but I just...I have no words I guess.

9. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to harvs For This Useful Post:

beebs  (05-03-2015),Chooky79  (04-03-2015),Ra Ra Superstar  (05-03-2015),~Marigold~  (05-03-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I am dreading seeing what may be on the news tomorrow. I feel absolutely sick over this. I absolutely vow NEVER to set foot in Indonesia ever in my life. These aren't humans, they are animals.

11. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to GlitterFarts For This Useful Post:

atomicmama  (05-03-2015),beebs  (05-03-2015),Chooky79  (04-03-2015),Ra Ra Superstar  (05-03-2015),snowqu33n  (05-03-2015),yadot  (06-03-2015),~Marigold~  (05-03-2015)

TimTamsandTea is offline ...if only all relationships were so perfectly sweet!
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by harvs View Post
    I don't understand how people can be completely unmoved by this. I read this thread and comments on other social media and I intellectually understand some of the opinions being stated but I just...I have no words I guess.

I completely identify with this. Each time I read a comment applauding this ******** punishment, I am rendered speechless despite feeling such revulsion - at what stage did we become so lacking in empathy that we cheer for the death of fellow human beings?

13. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to TimTamsandTea For This Useful Post:

beebs  (05-03-2015),Chooky79  (04-03-2015),Night Owl  (04-03-2015),Ra Ra Superstar  (05-03-2015),TheGooch  (04-03-2015),~Marigold~  (05-03-2015)

TimTamsandTea is offline ...if only all relationships were so perfectly sweet!
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by GlitterFarts View Post
    I am dreading seeing what may be on the news tomorrow. I feel absolutely sick over this. I absolutely vow NEVER to set foot in Indonesia ever in my life. These aren't humans, they are animals.
    I don't think I could visit a country that is governed in this manner. It certainly doesn't instil a sense of peace or security, that's for sure. Although judging from by Facebook feed I'm in the minority with quite a few 'friends' publicly stating they won't let this deter them from visiting their favourite holiday spot. I can't even contemplate that way of thinking ...

Thanks
    Reviews
    I read that Widodo's son (he was a student at UTS) asked his father for mercy for Andrew & Myuran....must have fallen on deaf ears. Widodo accused him of being a puppet for Australia.
    https://independentaustralia.net/lif...sukumaran,7443
    Last edited by Night Owl; 04-03-2015 at 22:15.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Night Owl For This Useful Post:

beebs  (05-03-2015)