+ Reply to Thread
Page 17 of 39 FirstFirst ... 7151617181927 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by Night Owl View Post
    Why would anyone who has gone through pain of losing a family member to drugs, now happily inflict the the same pain on the family members of Andrew and Myuran?
    Yup, another double standard.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    I have read through this thread and agree with so many of you, particularly the mention of if Australia did something like this to citizens of another country. We would be no more, war would have been declared.

I do not agree with the death penalty, although I will admit that I have been borderline in changing my stance on this after seeing news reports on child sex rings, pedophiles or child killers, I do believe that the death penalty is a violation of human rights and that the UN should be stepping in to have this kind of penalty removed from all countries. I do not see this happening while superpowers like USA and Japan still enforce the death penalty in their countries.

But then this brings me to another thought I have continually had. What right do other countries have to sentence those who are not their own citizens? Would it not be more economical for each country to deport those who break their laws to face the relevant punishment in their own countries? It's probably wishful thinking.

I believe that these boys have been rehabilitated and wish that there was some way that they could be spared from this punishment. I feel for their families, I could not imagine the pain that they are going through, their loved ones are being put to death and it is because of a tip off from the AFP. Yes they made a mistake, but this was 10 years ago and they were both, as a matter of fact they were all, so young when they committed these crimes, in their early to mid twenties, literally babies. From what I understand they were smuggling the drugs OUT of Bali not in. Could the AFP not have intercepted them back in Australia? If that were the case, under our judicial system they would be nearing the end of their sentences and would have the prospect of starting over again, have the opportunity to rebuild their lives and maybe even starting a family.

I, like others have posted, get so upset thinking about the whole situation.

Sent from my GT-I9507 using The Bub Hub mobile app

3. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to munchkin275 For This Useful Post:

babyla  (01-03-2015),Night Owl  (01-03-2015),poisonapple  (01-03-2015),snowqu33n  (01-03-2015),Tinkers  (01-03-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Munchkin I have never heard that (about them smuggling drugs out of bit into Indonesia). Has anyone else heard that?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tootsiegirl View Post
    Munchkin I have never heard that (about them smuggling drugs out of bit into Indonesia). Has anyone else heard that?
    Yes they were smuggling drugs out of Indonesia. It was a stop over from Thailand to Australia and Scott Rush family tipped of the AFP, thinking they would intervene to help stop them. They certainly intervened. Can't wait until the AFP discloses their operational priorities on this one.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to babyla For This Useful Post:

beebs  (02-03-2015),munchkin275  (01-03-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    (Sorry I have bad reception, I was trying to quote and respond to Gracie's mum) I may be wrong but I believe the rehearsal of the entire process was on behalf of our (and French etc.) government questioning the process and humanity of the execution. I am sick about the whole thing but must say I was relieved when I personally researched the execution to find it wasn't JUST a sick game to the shooters, they don't play with their minds once there. When hearing they are to be transferred for execution the idea of what games may be played with what is left of their lives is sickening.
    Last edited by tootsiegirl; 01-03-2015 at 16:09.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I may be wrong but I believe the rehearsal of the entire process was on behalf of our (and French etc.) government questioning the process and humanity of the execution. I am sick about the whole thing but must say I was relieved when I personally researched the execution to find it wasn't JUST a sick game to the shooters, they don't play with their minds once there. When hearing they are to be transferred for execution the idea of what games may be played with what is left of their lives is sickening.
    No they play with their minds for a decade beforehand.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to babyla For This Useful Post:

beebs  (02-03-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I don't necessarily believe that ^^^ living for 10 years in the hope that they won't be executed and given the opportunity to flourish personally in jail in my opinion, is preferable to immediate execution. The time given has proven to be preferable for all of the other "9" who had their sentences changed. I am unsure of (but certain something has) occurred behind the negotiating scenes that made these do called "ring leaders" irredeemably culpable.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I don't necessarily believe that ^^^ living for 10 years in the hope that they won't be executed and given the opportunity to flourish personally in jail in my opinion, is preferable to immediate execution. The time given has proven to be preferable for all of the other "9" who had their sentences changed. I am unsure of (but certain something has) occurred behind the negotiating scenes that made these do called "ring leaders" irredeemably culpable.
    Being given 10 years and the opportunity to flourish is absolutely wonderful for them, the chance to rehabilitate and make a change to their own lives and the lives of others is an amazing redemption. To have made such progress and within the jail and within their own lives and then to spend the past few months in a state of "will they won't they" is completely torturous to the human spirit. You should watch the interview with Ben Quilty on how they are holding up during this time.

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to babyla For This Useful Post:

beebs  (02-03-2015),Gracie's Mum  (01-03-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I have read either the transcript or just an article regarding this. I found them to be sadly complacent and accepting (and too much of the authors take on their personalities, perception of gesture etc.) I may try and get re period and find a link to watch it
    Last edited by tootsiegirl; 02-03-2015 at 06:32.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by ArthurDent View Post

They are just saying that 20 years or more in that hole of a prison is sufficient.
    I do wonder whether it is a 'hole of a prison'.... Haven't they had every opportunity to gain education, degrees, and rehabilitation? From the outside it seems like they've gained more than many from disadvantaged backgrounds do here in Australia.

I doubt anyone with a heart likes the idea of the death penalty. We as Australians feel it is inhumane and brutal. But this is not our issue unfortunately as this is happening in a foreign country under their (barb.aric or otherwise?) rules.

I don't think we need to hear it on the news at all, it's just the media being cruel and tugging our heart strings. I feel the Indonesian government are in defence over that and none of this was known to Australians they might just show more clemency. But they have something to prove (Indonesia) so as long as it's so sensational, they won't budge.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Botticelli For This Useful Post:

Ashfirst  (01-03-2015)