+ Reply to Thread
Page 16 of 39 FirstFirst ... 6141516171826 ... LastLast
    tazz475 is offline Holy banjo, check out boob mountain!
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    To the previous 4 posters (minus harvs and babyla) I sincerely hope your children never make mistakes such as these men have. I wonder how your children would feel having their mothers and/or fathers condemning them to death because of something they did when they were young and impressionable.

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to tazz475 For This Useful Post:

babyla  (28-02-2015),beebs  (01-03-2015),poisonapple  (28-02-2015),Ra Ra Superstar  (28-02-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by tazz475 View Post
    To the previous 4 posters (minus harvs and babyla) I sincerely hope your children never make mistakes such as these men have. I wonder how your children would feel having their mothers and/or fathers condemning them to death because of something they did when they were young and impressionable.
    Unlikely to happen probably but if my child did something as stupid and thoughless as an adult such as these 2 he would have to accept the penalty whatever that may be and so would we as parents. While it would be the saddest thing ever for a parent to have to go through it's the way it would have to be. Stupidity is one thing but what these 2 did goes way beyond that.

I have seen the devastating effects drugs have had on a few people in my life including my brother and my best friend. I am very anti drugs and I have no sympathy for the bali 9 pair. They knew what they were doing and gave no thought to anyone else.

The one thing I do think is wrong is the length of time it has taken. They should have been executed many years earlier, not years after they were sentenced. It's taken way to long.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Blessedwith3boys For This Useful Post:

Ashfirst  (01-03-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Kimberleygal1 View Post
    Unlikely to happen probably but if my child did something as stupid and thoughless as an adult such as these 2 he would have to accept the penalty whatever that may be and so would we as parents. While it would be the saddest thing ever for a parent to have to go through it's the way it would have to be. Stupidity is one thing but what these 2 did goes way beyond that.

I have seen the devastating effects drugs have had on a few people in my life including my brother and my best friend. I am very anti drugs and I have no sympathy for the bali 9 pair. They knew what they were doing and gave no thought to anyone else.

The one thing I do think is wrong is the length of time it has taken. They should have been executed many years earlier, not years after they were sentenced. It's taken way to long.
    Do you think executing these 2 low level drug runners will have a significant impact on the "war on drugs"?

FWIW I have been affected by the devastating affect of drugs on immediate family members but I don't think that makes my opinion anymore important or less important than anyone else's.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to babyla For This Useful Post:

beebs  (01-03-2015),TimTamsandTea  (01-03-2015)

harvs is offline Winner 2014 - Spirit of BubHub Award
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/4/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 2/4/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 19/3/15Busiest Member of the Week200 Posts in a week
    You don't know that it's unlikely to happen.

I actually agree with you KG, it is our duty as parents to bring up children who understand that actions have consequences. But you know what, not all consequences are rational, balanced and reasonable. Just like humans aren't always rational, balanced and reasonable.

If you honestly believe that we need to just shut up and say well that's the law in those countries, deal with it, then I'm sure you have no issue with sharia law, right? If your gay son was to holiday in a nation in which homosexuality is illegal, and he was put to death for staying in a hotel room with his partner, you'd be fine with us saying he made the choice because there are signs everywhere and to suck it up?

Ok, so your response might be that homosexuality isn't a choice. True. Let's change it to theft in a country where thieves have hands chopped off. That's the law there. What if your son, who at 21 does not have a fully developed brain, steals something in one of those countries and is prosecuted under the law. That's acceptable too? I mean he knew he risks, right?

You are implying that the only people who are allowed to have an opinion on the death penalty are people who have lost someone to drugs. Should we apply this logic to mental illness and suicide?

Hate drugs. I get it. I hate them too. I hate the death penalty more. I know I sound angry and possibly ranty and crazy but I just don't get the logic that says it's not ok for them to have no regard for others' lives but it's ok for us to wish death upon them.

8. The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to harvs For This Useful Post:

beebs  (01-03-2015),Busy-Bee  (28-02-2015),Gentoo  (28-02-2015),grace  (06-03-2015),HollyGolightly81  (05-03-2015),misskittyfantastico  (28-02-2015),Night Owl  (28-02-2015),poisonapple  (28-02-2015),PomPoms  (28-02-2015),SpecialPatrolGroup  (28-02-2015),TheGooch  (28-02-2015),TimTamsandTea  (28-02-2015),Tinkers  (01-03-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by tazz475 View Post
    I assume this includes me however if you read my entire response I have stated that I in no way condone the death penalty; for these two or anyone. I also have state my disgust in these two for the pain they are putting their families and further through for what you call a mistake. I imagine if it were my child I would feel similarly yet worse for the absolute heart wrenching torture they would have put me through.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Well it seems that no matter what we want, the Indonesian government wont back down now, even if they wanted to. It would be political suicide to a degree, not just for going against some peoples wishes, but to be seen as being intimidated and bullied by another countrys government so the Indonesian government will lose face and be seen as a "weak" country.

TheGooch is offline Winner 2014 - Newbie of the Year
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week

Default Debate thread for discussing the death penalty and the Bali 9

They make me sick. The "dress" rehearsal, the back and forth, the delays. Unnecessarily barb.aric.
    Bit like the death penalty itself.

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TheGooch For This Useful Post:

BbBbBh  (01-03-2015),beebs  (01-03-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I have a sick pit in my stomach when I think of these two men. Of course what they did was stupid and wrong but I truly believe they are reformed. My heart sank when I saw their coffins and the dress rehearsal. Its barba.ric. I am saying this as a sister who lost their brother to heroin. Druggies will get what they are after any each way, in the end they made the decision to use the drugs themselves. We were constantly broken into growing up by my brothers junkie mates looking for things to pawn for cash to buy drugs, the supplier is only part of the problem...the user chooses their own fate. Its all terribly sad.

14. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Gracie's Mum For This Useful Post:

babyla  (01-03-2015),beebs  (01-03-2015),Gentoo  (28-02-2015),misskittyfantastico  (01-03-2015),Night Owl  (28-02-2015),PomPoms  (28-02-2015),TimTamsandTea  (28-02-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by Kimberleygal1 View Post
    I wonder how many of those begging for the lives of Myuran and Andrew have lost someone to drugs. Those 2 have had no thought forcthe victims of their filthy trade. They need to be executed and Australia needs to stop interfering in Indonesia's justice system.
    The double standards that Australians are using to justify their reasons why the death penalty is ok/valid/needed is a joke. And you are doing it right now. Usually people jump up and down about "junkies" and how they have no sympathy for them. The fact I s these guys were drug addicts and people do insane things when they are on drugs. The fact is, Indonesia interferes with other countries justice system to get their citizens off death row. The fact is executions are a breach of human rights according to the UN. These two are doing a lot of good in the prison, so why kill people who are helping others? No one is saying they shouldn't pay for their crimes. Just that they shouldn't be killed for it. People can change. Personally I am far more concerned with people who lack empathy than drug mules.
    Last edited by beebs; 01-03-2015 at 13:25.

16. The Following 15 Users Say Thank You to beebs For This Useful Post:

ArthurDent  (01-03-2015),babyla  (01-03-2015),BbBbBh  (01-03-2015),dollypops  (01-03-2015),GirlsRock  (01-03-2015),grace  (06-03-2015),harvs  (01-03-2015),misskittyfantastico  (01-03-2015),MissMuppet  (01-03-2015),poisonapple  (01-03-2015),Ra Ra Superstar  (01-03-2015),snowqu33n  (01-03-2015),SoThisIsLove  (05-03-2015),TimTamsandTea  (01-03-2015),Tinkers  (01-03-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I really can't comprehend how anyone could be saying these two men should be executed. It troubles me that people would be saying yes kill/murder those men and still can sleep well at night. There are so many ifs in their argument eg. If they brought drugs here..if that..if this....therefore execute them.
    Let's just execute everyone who could have killed someone. If you checked your mobile while driving maybe we should execute you because you could have killed someone. To me that's how the argument sounds from people saying these men should be executed.

Also the argument about not interfering in Indonesia' s legal system. Firstly Indonesia are doing exactly the same thing trying to get Indonesians off death row in Saudia. Why shouldn't people stand up for something that is wrong regardless of what country....the execution of two drug mules who are doing good within the prison is so so wrong.

Why would anyone who has gone through pain of losing a family member to drugs, now happily inflict the the same pain on the family members of Andrew and Myuran?
    Last edited by Night Owl; 01-03-2015 at 11:52.

18. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Night Owl For This Useful Post:

ArthurDent  (01-03-2015),babyla  (01-03-2015),BbBbBh  (01-03-2015),beebs  (01-03-2015),MissMuppet  (01-03-2015),poisonapple  (01-03-2015),SoThisIsLove  (05-03-2015),TimTamsandTea  (01-03-2015)