+ Reply to Thread
Page 14 of 39 FirstFirst ... 4121314151624 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by beebs View Post
    Okay, not evil, but incapable of change. Incapable of being good people. Am I wrong? Is that not what you feel?
    No, but if i were sitting in prison, and i needed to try everything i could to get out, id be working on improving my image too. Wouldnt you?

I would assume that the lawyers first priority would have been to show the Aussie public how much they had changed in order to try and up the publicity.

harvs is offline Winner 2014 - Spirit of BubHub Award
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/4/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 2/4/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 19/3/15Busiest Member of the Week200 Posts in a week
    So do you mean you think they are only pretending to have changed and if their sentence was commuted they'd 'show their true colours', as it were?

I think you're right, it's likely the lawyers did suggest embarking in some sort of wholesome activities. But the end result is the same, regardless of their original motivation, surely?

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to harvs For This Useful Post:

beebs  (16-02-2015),TheGooch  (16-02-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    @heplusme Not sure how much you've read about what they've done in prison but it really goes beyond boosting their image. Their work has changed the prison, other prisoners lives and is a long lasting -it's not a flash in the pan image boosting activity. The Ben Quilty interview gives a real insight into it and here is another article about their rehabilitation. Yes I do agree with you that in some cases these things are set up by lawyers for the sole purpose of image boosting but in this case I think it's truly been rehabilitative. Prison guards and many others attest to this. http://www.smh.com.au/comment/myuran...16-13fov0.html

5. The Following User Says Thank You to babyla For This Useful Post:

beebs  (16-02-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Awesome Queen of Amazingtown View Post
    So do you mean you think they are only pretending to have changed and if their sentence was commuted they'd 'show their true colours', as it were?

I think you're right, it's likely the lawyers did suggest embarking in some sort of wholesome activities. But the end result is the same, regardless of their original motivation, surely?
    Im not a psychic, i dont know what would have happened in the future. Im not saying they didn't change, they very well could have. I am just wary that it may not all be entirely genuine. I guess it goes back to me being skeptical of rehabilitation.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by Night Owl View Post
    http://m.smh.com.au/world/death-for-...13-13dp7u.html

Difference is likely that one set of judges got the bribes they wanted.
    I dunno... This article seems rather biased and lacking in fact which may contradict the message the journo is trying to convey

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/4/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 2/4/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 19/3/15Busiest Member of the Week200 Posts in a week

Default Debate thread for discussing the death penalty and the Bali 9

I don't know, maybe there's a bigger picture I don't really get?

To me, whether they are genuine or not, and I happen to believe that they are, the result is that their behaviour has changed. Their actions have changed. Whether it's acting or not, their impact on society is positive now where it was once negative. That's kind of the extent of my investment in it. And I would do anything it took to get out of being executed, so I kind of don't think less of them even if it is all phony.

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to harvs For This Useful Post:

beebs  (16-02-2015),TimTamsandTea  (28-02-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Quote Originally Posted by VicPark View Post
    I dunno... This article seems rather biased and lacking in fact which may contradict the message the journo is trying to convey
    Which part of the article do you deem not factual?

11. The Following User Says Thank You to harvs For This Useful Post:

beebs  (16-02-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week
    Which part of the article do you deem not factual?
    It was lacking in detail all round. No detail about the evidence that pinned each party, no detail about the reasoning the judges gave for the lighter sentences. It's like the journo hadnt even reviewed any of the sentencing documents and was just going off a google search

13. The Following User Says Thank You to VicPark For This Useful Post:

harvs  (16-02-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Ah I see. I thought you meant that it was inaccurate iykwim, rather than missing important details.

I took it as the sentence was reduced because the death penalty was found to breach the constitution and no other reason. But them I'm wondering if the constitution only applies to Indonesian nationals or not? I don't know enough about law. You're right though, I read and accepted that the Indonesian kingpin's case against him was cut and dry, whereas I usually would read such a statement more critically.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    But the options here aren't to give them the death penalty or let them go. I completely agree that releasing them from jail isn't an option in the big picture of things.
    Sorry "let them go" was the wrong choice of words... "let them get away with it"? Hmm... What I mean is, if there the crime means the death penalty, then not doing that for these people with set a precedent.