+ Reply to Thread
Page 13 of 39 FirstFirst ... 3111213141523 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by beebs View Post
    I'

The things that strike me most about this case though, are the double standards Indonesia is displaying, they are far more lenient on their own people than foreigners who do the same crimes. That leaves a really bad taste in my mouth.

How do you know this? Any chance the differences in sentencing could be due to differences in evidence/proof etc?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by heplusme View Post
    And you think the lawyers didnt tell them to do these things to help their image? I dont buy it. Id be bored and take on extra curricular activities if i was sitting around for 10 years too.
    There are huge numbers of drug smugglers and junkies in jail who never do anything like that.

It surprises me that you assume heroin addicts who often turn to dealing and smuggling to feed their habits are inherently evil people, most drug addicts have mental health issues. They are usually damaged people in the first place.

3. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to beebs For This Useful Post:

babyla  (16-02-2015),TheGooch  (16-02-2015),TimTamsandTea  (28-02-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by VicPark View Post
    How do you know this? Any chance the differences in sentencing could be due to differences in evidence/proof etc?
    Night owl and I have both posted links about it.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week
    I read it, here is one link.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...ing-squad.html

And the fact that they give lesser sentences to terrorists who murder large amounts of people that they do drug mules. It is all topsy turvy.
    That seems like a pretty crap article - doesn't go into any if the background of the cases so it's hard to tell - perhaps the indinesian mans case should have been commuted.

As for the terrorists sentencing I think you'll find the higher up the chain to you go it's harder to prove culpability so authorities will tend to charge based on whatever they can get them on (eg inciting violence for a hate speech).

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    That seems like a pretty crap article - doesn't go into any if the background of the cases so it's hard to tell - perhaps the indinesian mans case should have been commuted.

As for the terrorists sentencing I think you'll find the higher up the chain to you go it's harder to prove culpability so authorities will tend to charge based on whatever they can get them on (eg inciting violence for a hate speech).
    This is the one I posted in the other thread, not sure if its been posted here...http://www.theage.com.au/world/death...p7u.touch.html

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Life sentences are still far too harsh, that is no life - especially not in those vile SE asian prisons where they treat feral animals better than the inmates. They are a breach of human rights as well.

It's been confirmed, they are being transferred this week for execution.
    I absolutely agree with you that life for this crime is very harsh. Those prisons are 100% a breach in human rights. I guess I was thinking at a starting point after a reprieve for the death penalty that this is what might happen.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to babyla For This Useful Post:

beebs  (16-02-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    There are huge numbers of drug smugglers and junkies in jail who never do anything like that.

It surprises me that you assume heroin addicts who often turn to dealing and smuggling to feed their habits are inherently evil people, most drug addicts have mental health issues. They are usually damaged people in the first place.
    When did i say they were evil?

Thanks
    Reviews

11. The Following User Says Thank You to babyla For This Useful Post:

beebs  (16-02-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Night owl posted a link for the Sydney Morning Herald, goes into more detail.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by heplusme View Post
    When did i say they were evil?

Okay, not evil, but incapable of change. Incapable of being good people. Am I wrong? Is that not what you feel?